Aug 01 2012
By: jm7659 First Son 2 posts

please help "transfer question"

3 replies 45 views Edited Aug 1, 2012

I have scoured these posts and threads getting information on using the data transfer utility. I think I am ready to do it, I have both systems and my only question is this,

after syncing my son's trophies, it says I have to deactivate my account, do I do this before I set up another account on new ps3 or do I just deactivate old one, do transfer, then activate same account on new ps3.

My ps3 stopped reading discs and after 3 weeks of it being in the shop I said enough and bought my son a new one.

He has all his battlefield stuff on the old one and I don't want to screw this up, I have the directions in hand and I'm very good usually at these types of things.

I just can't find any writing on when and if I'm suppose to activate the new ps3 with same account information.

Thanks to anyone that can help me out, Really Thank You

Message 1 of 4 (45 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39470 posts

Re: please help "transfer question"

Aug 1, 2012

jm7659 wrote:

I have scoured these posts and threads getting information on using the data transfer utility. I think I am ready to do it, I have both systems and my only question is this,

after syncing my son's trophies, it says I have to deactivate my account, do I do this before I set up another account on new ps3 or do I just deactivate old one, do transfer, then activate same account on new ps3.

My ps3 stopped reading discs and after 3 weeks of it being in the shop I said enough and bought my son a new one.

He has all his battlefield stuff on the old one and I don't want to screw this up, I have the directions in hand and I'm very good usually at these types of things.

I just can't find any writing on when and if I'm suppose to activate the new ps3 with same account information.

Thanks to anyone that can help me out, Really Thank You

Hi & Welcome to the PlayStation Community.

Because you can have a maximum of 2 PS3's activated anyway, the answer to your question is it doesn't really matter.

I would probably do the transfer, activate the other PS3, then deactivate the old one.

I don't know what you're going to do with the other PS3, keep it, sell it etc, there's really no need to to do much to it really, except deactivate it for "Video Content" & activate the new one for it.

Hope the above makes sense, come back to us if we can help further.

Good luck to you!

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 2 of 4 (39 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Aug 1, 2012

Thanks so much for your help. I plan on fixing it but I just wasted 3 weeks waiting for a guy to fix it and I cannot put my son out another 3 weeks, He is actually a really well rounded kid in the sense that he does other things besides game all day/night so at this point I feel bad he cannot enjoy it during summer break from school.

I will try what you said and hope it turns out well, I just want the game saves but to me it will be easier to just transfer it all and he can sort out what he wants and don't want.

On a side note we had the optical pickup replaced and it still would not load games, does everything else fine.. so i'm really stumped as to what the problem is. Anything that had to do with the blue ray lens was swapped for a new one and still no joy. Thanks again

Message 3 of 4 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
39470 posts

Aug 1, 2012

You're very welcome, glad I was able to help somewhat.

It's odd that you've tried to fix/replace the lens etc but to no avail, not quite sure what could be wrong there.

Also I don't know if you know about it or are aware of it's existence, but PlayStation Plus offers a lot for a relatively small layout, $17.99 for 3 months or $49.99 for a full year, as well offering free games every month, it also has free avatars & themes, but the point I was trying to make was it also offers free game saves to the "cloud", currently up to a maximum of 250MB, this would negate the need you have now to transfer his game saves over, just s thought!

I forgot to give you these inks, you may find them useful:

http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=796

http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=2616

Without sounding condescending your son sounds like a great kid & you sound like a decent dad trying to give your son some fun over the school break, good luck to you both.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 4 of 4 (24 Views)
0 Likes