Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 13 2013
By: MrCoolBeanz100 First Son 8 posts

persona 4 vs 3?

5 replies 123 views Edited Feb 13, 2013

hey guys, i never played any jrpg before but saw p4g and decided to randomly get it for christmas.  i then immediately felinl love with it, i am literrally obssesed with everything about it, story, characters, gameplay etc.  but i heard alot of people say that p3 is better!! i thought how can that be!!!? anyways i just wanna know what you guys think and could you explqin the story of p3 fir me please? thanks.      but seriousy, p4g is my favorite game ever.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 6 (123 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11161 posts

Re: persona 4 vs 3?

[ Edited ]
Feb 13, 2013

I have played, and completed, both Persona 3 Portable and Persona 4 Golden. To say one is better than the other is simply an expression of opinion.

I enjoyed both games, but far prefer Persona 4 in terms of story, dungeon exploration, side quests and extra content. There are many similarities between Persona 3 and Persona 4. Both have social links, side quests and ultimate weapons.

Spoiler

In Persona 3, you can choose to be male or female, which does have a small impact on the game's story and the available social links. Story wise in Persona 3 you have the Mid-night hour. A mysterious hour that only a few people are able to be awake for. There are several powerful shadows (each corresponding to one of the major Tarot Arcana). As you progress through the story you will meet new people who will become teammates, like you do in Persona 4, but you don't rescue them like to you do in P4. You come to learn that the Shadows were a part of an experiment into alternate energy. You also learn your connection to the events that took place about 10 years prior. 3 of your teammates also had connections to those events as well.

There  are major plot differences between the stories in the two games. Both stories are excellent. I would recommend picking up Persona 3 Portable when you have a chance. It is a very good game and very similar in play style to Persona 4. Or you could also get the PS 2 classic off the PSN store if you have a PS 3.

Persona 4 does have a few nods to Persona 3.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 6 (106 Views)
Survivor
2465 posts

Feb 13, 2013

MrCoolBeanz100 wrote:

hey guys, i never played any jrpg before but saw p4g and decided to randomly get it for christmas.  i then immediately felinl love with it, i am literrally obssesed with everything about it, story, characters, gameplay etc.  but i heard alot of people say that p3 is better!! i thought how can that be!!!? anyways i just wanna know what you guys think and could you explqin the story of p3 fir me please? thanks.      but seriousy, p4g is my favorite game ever.

Different approaches really, P4: The Golden has better character development; P3P had a slightly better plot. This doesn't mean I am dissing the plot of P4: The Golden, far from it. They are both amazing plots. It's just that P3P felt like the stakes were higher (and they really were once you get deep into the plot). The way the plot entwined with the characters added an extra layer of weight to it and, of course, the tragedy that surrounds a spoiler character contributes more to that opinion that the plot is more dramatic~.

But again, both are AAA JRPGs and neither is better than the other. They are just slightly different approaches to storytelling, that's about it. If you ever give P3P a shot (playable on the PSV through the PSP emulation) just keep in mind that the Female Main Character isn't considered canon, it's more like a What if route but the events that count are the ones from the Male Main Character~.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 6 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

Feb 15, 2013

Have they made Persona 3 available to download off the PSN for the PS Vita?  Don't have a PSP, but would luv to add it to my collection! :womanwink:

This place may be a virtual world but my feelings are very real." - Lightning Flash Asuna, Sword Art Online

SAO3.jpg

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 6 (67 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11161 posts

Feb 16, 2013

CharityElizabeth wrote:

Have they made Persona 3 available to download off the PSN for the PS Vita?  Don't have a PSP, but would luv to add it to my collection! :womanwink:

It's been available for several months. I bought Persona 3 Portable last September I think off the Vita's PSN. I included the link for you if you want to browse the store online. Otherwise you should easily be able to find it on the Vita's store. It's a great game.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 6 (60 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 16, 2013

Yup, agree to all the replies above. :smileyhappy:

additional to that, Personal 3 Fes (PS3 ver available for download) or Persona 3 Portable aka P3P (PS Vita/PSP ver) are also unique game.

as replied by several members above, P3P have both female and male option for you to select before the very begining of the game start. Both carries different social link stories, but major story plot does not change. 

On the other hand, Personal 3 Fes, only male charater is playable, but it offers two playable story plot (aka:- "The Journey" -1st play through with Normal Ending that leaves you to ponder on the ending at your own discretion &" The Answer" - that reveal the True Ending of Personal 3). The Answer is selectable at the begining of the game or even after you have finish the 1st play through of " The Journey".

Both Games are currently available at PSN store, previously have been offer great discount for PS Plus members.

I would recommend P3Fes (if you own a PS3 or PS2), as it covers a complete storey ending.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 6 (45 Views)
0 Likes