Nov 09 2012
By: Macky_Tung First Son 1 posts

optical cable?

3 replies 56 views Edited Nov 9, 2012

so i've heard that long optical cables dont work or dont have great audio quality. but i have no choice but to use one since the tv is far from the ps3. anyways, i bought a 25 feet optical by bluerigger.  and guess what?

it doesnt work?

i dunno if im doing anything wrong. Smiley Indifferent any advice?

Message 1 of 4 (56 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
7215 posts

Re: optical cable?

[ Edited ]
Nov 9, 2012

Macky_Tung wrote:

so i've heard that long optical cables dont work or dont have great audio quality. but i have no choice but to use one since the tv is far from the ps3. anyways, i bought a 25 feet optical by bluerigger.  and guess what?

it doesnt work?

i dunno if im doing anything wrong. Smiley Indifferent any advice?

Is your PS3 set up to output audio via optical?  Also I'm not sure how you have "no choice;" there are 25 ft HDMI cables.

Message 2 of 4 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 9, 2012

It works. And works well. Those who have said it doesn't, clearly purchased poorly made systems.

And yes, as JERM7 has said..... you need to manually enable it under the audio options.

I have a Bose Lifestyle 28 system with a Optical/Toslink port and I have my 60b PS3 hooked up to it and it delivers excellent sound. Best thing abut it is that I custom painted my Bose reciever black and sits next to my PS3 so I sometimes get confused which is which if they are turned off.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 3 of 4 (41 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
15665 posts

Nov 9, 2012

I'm no full-blown techie, however I believe optical cables work on the same principles as fibre optic telephone cables which, with sufficient power can transmit signals over great distances - far greater than 25 feet.

** Use a unique password for your PSN ID - one you don't use anywhere else **
** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **

”Signature-1.jpg”
MVP Terms and Conditions ________________(=^‥^=)________________ Forum Rules of Conduct
========== SONY Customer Service 800-345-7669 or Link to Live Chat ==========

Message 4 of 4 (27 Views)
0 Likes