Gaming Beast
2302 posts

Re: message from someone, is it legit?

May 23, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

Mmm, I simply can't stomach the fact that some people can't exercise common sense is all. Unless there is an official [PSN] user with  the PSN logo as an avatar, it isn't legit. You think "hey, it isn't possible to get that avatar, this is probably real" 

And there there's, "hey, a guy from comical commercials...ya, this is fake" but somewhere those wires got crossed didn't they?

And I'm not the forum -(*insert childish swear*)- I just say what most users are too nice to verbalize in text, but believe me, they're all thinking it.

and more of it, before this turns into a fight your clearly trying to make it i'm going to say this and ignore your attempts of provoking me. unlike you it seems i don't memorized Playstation staff or they're actors, so i had no idea who this person was. and as i said after the hand out they did before i double check. with that said this is the last i will acknowledge anything you said since you seem it necessary to be the true definition of a males lower front end. good day and i hope you from someone who actually cares about what you have to say.

Message 11 of 25 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

May 23, 2013

VorxDargo wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

Mmm, I simply can't stomach the fact that some people can't exercise common sense is all. Unless there is an official [PSN] user with  the PSN logo as an avatar, it isn't legit. You think "hey, it isn't possible to get that avatar, this is probably real" 

And there there's, "hey, a guy from comical commercials...ya, this is fake" but somewhere those wires got crossed didn't they?

And I'm not the forum -(*insert childish swear*)- I just say what most users are too nice to verbalize in text, but believe me, they're all thinking it.

and more of it, before this turns into a fight your clearly trying to make it i'm going to say this and ignore your attempts of provoking me. unlike you it seems i don't memorized Playstation staff or they're actors, so i had no idea who this person was. and as i said after the hand out they did before i double check. with that said this is the last i will acknowledge anything you said since you seem it necessary to be the true definition of a males lower front end. good day and i hope you from someone who actually cares about what you have to say.

I didnt memorize anything, especially the PS staff, I just know how to tell when its official. If the truth provokes you, I can hardly be to blame. And maybe you should spend some time getting to know the system you spend time on. Its obvious you could use some refreshers.

and we both know you'll read this, so enjoySmiley LOL

Also, you're*

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 12 of 25 (154 Views)
Highlighted
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

May 23, 2013
Hahaha $37? Why not $26.73?
Message 13 of 25 (148 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

May 23, 2013

johngie wrote:
Hahaha $37? Why not $26.73?

I love this ^^^.

Not to add on; but out of everything in the alleged email, THIS, would have stood out to me the most.  Forget about the fact these things NEVER happen, and if ANY email ever requests you to email your friends, it is further questionable.  I am not even going to touch the Kevin Butler angle.

Just the same; to the OP.  Yes, this is a scam.  No, do not do as it says.  Ignore sender if you want, otherwise just delete the email.

Noting this; I would like to point out, per the Forum Guidelines, you should remove the PSN ID listed as sending it to you, in the OP.  This can be construed as Blacklisting, and can get you into trouble.

• Accuse others of cheating, glitching, or other malicious/offensive actions. We refer to this as “blacklisting” or “naming and shaming”. If you think that someone is violating the Terms of Service or the Rules of Conduct in some way, report them through the games title itself (if you can) or through the Knowledge Center. Please refrain from reporting In-Game infractions in these forums. 

It is important to remember, despite what ever actions someone tries to take against you, you still CANNOT name them here.  Just trying to help.Smiley Happy

Now; setzaroth, you are the target of so much hate at times.  I get a chuckle out of it.  You fight the good fight, and they keep coming at you.  Even the people who are "new" come after you when you have a response.  You have a haterade magnet or something?  Just thought I would say I noticed.  Good luck sir.Smiley Wink

johngie, that is some funny S right there!Smiley LOL

Moble

Message 14 of 25 (136 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
7546 posts

May 23, 2013

This is a fake message for sure. These kinds of things go on frequently. You can always on your inbox at the message hit trianlge and file a grief report from there and it will get forwarded to the correct avenue.

Oh and Setz, buddy....  take it a little easy, you did come off a tad harsh especially to someone who may not be familiar with you.  It's easy to get desensitized to forum activity and all to frequent topics.  I get where you're coming from, I do. Take a step back sometimes.  That being said you know I love ya man Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 25 (131 Views)
MVP Support
18896 posts

[ Edited ]
May 23, 2013

VorxDargo wrote:

ok this is getting annoying, some person called MusicActivated13 sent me a message it reads, quoted:

"i'm Kevin Butler from the Sony Entertainment Company. I would like to stop this spamming rumour about Playstation Network users having to pay for playing online, so please help me stop the rumour spamming. If you send this to 35 people, you will be granted $37 on Playstation Store; just check your wallet money on Playstation Store. This message is tracked by me, Kevin, and Sony Entertainment Company. please copy and send to all friends GO TO COPY PRESS X AND SCROLL"

so is this for real or is this more rnadom spam, if it is PSN needs to somehow work on stopping this!

Kevin Butler is no longer part of the PlayStation marketing machiine. That should be your first clue.

Second Clue would be that if Kevin Butler were still part of PlayStation his PSN ID would be "KevinButler" or "VPOfGaming" not the ID you have shown.

To end your doubts know that official private messages display a gray scale PSN logo & the senders name is between " [ "  " ] "

PSN Officialy PM

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 16 of 25 (122 Views)
Big Daddy
16939 posts

[ Edited ]
May 23, 2013

Clue #1

Kevin Butler is not a real person. He is a character made up by the marketing firm Sony used. The actor who plays the character, his name is Jerry Lambert

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Butler_(character)

Clue #2
Why is the dollar amount very specific, at $37? Why not $50? or $20? or $10? 
Anytime Sony gives out money, like they recently did to loyal Sony customers and those who spent $50 or more in purchases.... they got very specific, even, dollar amounts. $10 for loyal supporters, and $10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60+ for those who spent $50 or more. (For every $50 you spend, you get $10 back)

Clue #3
As Xuchilbara states, if the message did not contain the PSN logo inside brackets in the FROM field, it is not a legitimate Sony/PSN message.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 17 of 25 (117 Views)
MVP Support
6916 posts

May 23, 2013

If you have to ask, it probably isn't legit Smiley Wink.  But it's always a good idea to check of course - don't want to miss out on something free.  The best thing to do though is to search the forums, as this question has been answered before.  You'll find your answer immediately, without having to wait for a reply, and without crowding the forums with repeat threads.

mcbuttz78 wrote:

Kevin butler doesnt work for playstation right now. but jamal still doesSmiley Very Happy

So its not real .. Happy gaming in your future

Who's Jamal? Smiley Frustrated

Message 18 of 25 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

May 23, 2013

GOW71 wrote:

This is a fake message for sure. These kinds of things go on frequently. You can always on your inbox at the message hit trianlge and file a grief report from there and it will get forwarded to the correct avenue.

Oh and Setz, buddy....  take it a little easy, you did come off a tad harsh especially to someone who may not be familiar with you.  It's easy to get desensitized to forum activity and all to frequent topics.  I get where you're coming from, I do. Take a step back sometimes.  That being said you know I love ya man Smiley Happy

Yes, I know. I do need to work on realizing that not all the people that post things on here have seen the 1000 threads come and go on the same topic. I think I'll distance myself from the forums when the PS4 comes out. Smiley LOL

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 19 of 25 (87 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

May 24, 2013
Haha. The front couple of pages will be filled with posts of:

"I just bought GTAV and when I put it in my PS4 it won't play!"
"I logged into the PSN on my PS4 but all my games are missing!"
"Why won't my DS3 work on my PS4?"
"I bought a bunch of games on sale at Gamestop but none work. FIX IT!"