Lombax Warrior
231 posts

Re: memory cards prices revealed

Dec 1, 2011

I'm getting the first edition bundle.  At first, I was going to get the 32GB memory card at the jump, but after thinking about it, I think i'll wait.  I don't expect myself to need that much space in the beginning (I love the PSV, but not that many launch titles appeal to me at the moment).  Once I use up the 4GB though, I will get the 32GB without hesitation.  Hopefully the price will have come down by then or a 64GB released for the same price.

Still, I'm tempted, just for the sake of music and movies. 

So wait, let me get this 100% straight... the PSV doesn't have ANY flash card port?  I knew about the proprietary memory format for the games and obviously for the memory now, but I guess in my own naivete, I expected it to be able to handle a regular flash card for general media at least.  I wouldn't mind if you could only play games from the proprietary memory cards, if I'm allowed to put other media (movies, music, etc.) on a regular flash card.

Message 31 of 46 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Dec 1, 2011

@QuantumPSI no only ps vita proprietary memory cards. only other card is the physical media card that is for games and is also a kind of proprietary card. of course for the 3G/Wifi version does have the sim card slot. Wifi only model only has the other 2 slots.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 32 of 46 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
276 posts

Dec 1, 2011

Memory itself takes room. To store something anywhere you need the beginning of a scrip. These scripts have to be managed in a way to It all depends. If you buy a 3 TB HD your only gonna get like 2.7 TB. To manage/run and read/write speeds all are scripted.

P.S its the same reason why laptops slow down when you are close to 1/2th memory.

Message 33 of 46 (3 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13653 posts

Dec 1, 2011

And that memory itself takes up typically 10% of the storage. So a 32GB card has roughly 3.2GB taken up already.

Which is why my 250GB PS3 has like, 228 GB Storage only or something like that.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 34 of 46 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Dec 2, 2011

(this I copy pasted this so the lower memory size is cheaper then we first thought. )

The PlayStation Vita, despite having an attractive price tag as video game hardware, has a quite expensive proprietary medium used for saving games. Video game retailer GameStop had put up a number of prices for Vita’s memory cards and accessories, but two of those prices have since been revealed not to be correct.

IGN reports that Sony contacted them to inform them that the 4GB and 8GB Memory Card prices were wrong. GameStop had listed the 4GB Memory Card at $29.99 and the 8GB Memory Card $49.99, while Sony has said that the 4GB Memory Card  is $24.99 and the 8GB Memory Card is $39.99. The two corrections were the only corrections made to the pricing – the 32GB Memory Card still costs $119.99. No accessory prices were corrected, either.

The only PlayStation Vita model that comes packaged with a Memory Card  currently announced is the First Edition bundle, which is packaged with the Wi-Fi + 3G model. The First Edition bundle arrives a week prior to Vita’s launch and is packaged with a 4GB Memory Card (link below)

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/12/01/sony-corrects-gamestop-pricing-for-4gb-8gb-playstation-vi...

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 35 of 46 (3 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Dec 2, 2011

I was really excited about all the things the Vita could do, and i really liked a lot of the games in the launch lineup. But after hearing the system price is only 2/3rds of the entry price before you buy games .... I'm a big fan of download content, i have nearly 200 installed games on my PS3 (counting minis and PS1 originals, but about 2/3rds are PS3 native) and am an active member of PS+. I've never owned a handheld since i got my brother's old Gameboy when he moved out after high school and was going to jump on the vita ... but i really can't rationalize this expenditure. For the price of a Vita and memory card, i might as well buy a new laptop, i'm sure i'd use it more anyways.

Maybe Sony forgot they were competeing with Tablets and Smartphones and thought they just needed to worry about the 3DS ... which had to drop 80$ from the price tag within 5 months of release.

Excuse me, but i'll be waiting until Sony does the same .

Message 36 of 46 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
129 posts

Dec 2, 2011

I was completely on board with the Vita and prepared to preorder. That said, I am skipping the portable system until a time when Sony can be reasonable with it's memory card pricing. I think it's a huge slap in the face to all consumers to charge these prices when we all know full well Sony is quadrupling the prices. The fact that the system comes with no memory speaks volumes. They dont care about us or the fact that we have alternatives. I am not sure if they are banking on their name or what but I wont be buying anything until they stop trying to pick my pocket for every last penny.

Message 37 of 46 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
758 posts

Dec 2, 2011

Thx for the post. 8gb for 39.99 is not bad. Honestly, I'm cheap but I fail to see a BIG problem with mem card prices

Message 38 of 46 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
129 posts

Dec 2, 2011

Yes, $39.99 is horrible. First, todays games are huge even for smart devices. 8GB wont get your very far with the Vita.

Second, $40 is grossly over inflated. The cost of other media types is significantly lower. A 32GB MicroSD card can be had for $35.51 right now on Amazon, probably cheaper in one or two other places maybe. You're talking 4x the compacity for less cash.

Furthermore, devices now often demand even more storage. Again, the Vita seems like a powerhouse and I wouldn't doubt you would need a lot for the serious gamer. Eventually, I could see a 64GB from Sony but at what cost? $240 for 64GB? Thats extortion and they have matched SSD prices without the same storage compacity and I highly doubt even half the performance.

Message 39 of 46 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
758 posts

Dec 2, 2011

Those prices are bounfd to come down after launch. Even though it's about wha you pay for psp cards.. The Vita had to cut cost somewher in this case it was the internal memory.  This was as low as I think Sony could go and make a profit.  If you read the post on this forum the guys that played the Via are saying ps3 graphicsn your hand.  HONESTLY,  DID YOU THINK THAT WOULD BE CHEAPER THAN THE PSP?

Message 40 of 46 (3 Views)
0 Likes