Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Uncharted Territory
1462 posts

Re: just bought 2 vitas for my kids and purchased playstation plus ,

Dec 30, 2012
Plus adds new free games each week (sometimes we go a week without a new game, but rarely). What the Gamestop clerk probably meant was that over the timeline of your Plus subscription you will recieve lots of free games. That, or he was giving a good up-sale to get you to purchase more.

Keep in mind that which ever account you sign up for Plus under will be the only one that will have access to the free games. So if each of your kids have their own accounts on their Vita you would need two seperate Plus subscriptions (one for each kid).
Message 11 of 20 (194 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 30, 2012

smokey_vols wrote:
Plus adds new free games each week (sometimes we go a week without a new game, but rarely). What the Gamestop clerk probably meant was that over the timeline of your Plus subscription you will recieve lots of free games. That, or he was giving a good up-sale to get you to purchase more.

^This. Either way, PS+ is still well worth the $50/year, so you shouldn't feel swindled. If you're using the same PS account for both Vitas and the PS3, then you're definitely getting more than your money worth.

You may want to bookmark this page: http://blog.us.playstation.com/ and check it at least every Monday or Tuesday, which is when they'll typically announce the new free game for the week....otherwise, just check the PS Store every week. As long as you add a free PS+ game to your cart and checkout (you can cancel your download), it's yours for as long as you keep up your subscription. This is important to note because every time a new game is added, and old one is removed...so as long as you "bought" it before it was removed, you'll have it for the life of your subscription :smileyhappy:.

PS. Congrats on being awesome parents, btw. Those are some great gifts!

Message 12 of 20 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Dec 30, 2012

BRIT-KO wrote:

FidelityNy wrote:
In order to get faster PS3 downloads you must have your PS3 hooked up through a wired connection. If you already have a wired connection and the speeds are slow you can increase your speeds by restoring File System and Database.

Sorry Fidelity but I disagree with this, a good wireless network will work perfectly fine for downloading & playing games, mine works great, there is no reason to suspect that the Op's doesn't.

I disagree about the rebuilding the database too, at least here & now, I think this is muddying the waters for the person asking the question.

Perfectly fine? Start a download on your wirless connection, I'll start one on mine as well. Say, start the download for Street Fighter IV: AE. I guarantee we get similar results on wireless, I'll then post my results on a wired connection. I'm running on 65mbps Download and 35mbps Upload. Wireless comes nowhere near the speeds of a wired connection, and 100% of the people with decent to good internet speeds that have compared wired to wireless on the PS3 will agree. They've been downloading Infamous 2 for 5 hours now, I can easily download 60GB+ of content on my PS3 in 5 hours time, wired, after maintenance.

Also, have you personally tested what I suggested about restoring File System and Rebuilding Database? If not then you wouldn't know the effect. I've tested it mutlple times after a good month of use on my console. Maintenance speeds up the PS3's performance in all aspects as it does any computer.

Message 13 of 20 (174 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Dec 30, 2012

FidelityNy wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

FidelityNy wrote:
In order to get faster PS3 downloads you must have your PS3 hooked up through a wired connection. If you already have a wired connection and the speeds are slow you can increase your speeds by restoring File System and Database.

Sorry Fidelity but I disagree with this, a good wireless network will work perfectly fine for downloading & playing games, mine works great, there is no reason to suspect that the Op's doesn't.

I disagree about the rebuilding the database too, at least here & now, I think this is muddying the waters for the person asking the question.

Perfectly fine? Start a download on your wirless connection, I'll start one on mine as well. Say, start the download for Street Fighter IV: AE. I guarantee we get similar results on wireless, I'll then post my results on a wired connection. I'm running on 65mbps Download and 35mbps Upload. Wireless comes nowhere near the speeds of a wired connection, and 100% of the people with decent to good internet speeds that have compared wired to wireless on the PS3 will agree. They've been downloading Infamous 2 for 5 hours now, I can easily download 60GB+ of content on my PS3 in 5 hours time, wired, after maintenance.

Also, have you personally tested what I suggested about restoring File System and Rebuilding Database? If not then you wouldn't know the effect. I've tested it mutlple times after a good month of use on my console. Maintenance speeds up the PS3's performance in all aspects as it does any computer.

Sorry, but BRIT is correct - a strong home WiFi signal can easily download games and I really don't think that's the issue here as the mother said she can download just fine on the Vitas, which is obviously using WiFi. My guess is, as was stated earlier by someone, that she simply didn't realize how large Infamous 2 was compared to the games she downloaded on the Vita....I think Uncharted was the largest of the IGC Vita games, IIRC, and that was just under 3GB.

Message 14 of 20 (170 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Dec 30, 2012

xClayMeow wrote:

FidelityNy wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

FidelityNy wrote:

Sorry, but BRIT is correct - a strong home WiFi signal can easily download games and I really don't think that's the issue here as the mother said she can download just fine on the Vitas, which is obviously using WiFi. My guess is, as was stated earlier by someone, that she simply didn't realize how large Infamous 2 was compared to the games she downloaded on the Vita....I think Uncharted was the largest of the IGC Vita games, IIRC, and that was just under 3GB.

The PS3 and Wi-Fi issues have been discussed for years, it's crap. My home Wi-Fi signal downloads blazing fast on all of our smartphones, tablets, and computers hooked up to Wi-Fi, the PS3 on Wi-Fi is just junk. I spent nights messing with router settings, DMZ, and static IP just to accomodate the PS3 on my Wi-Fi network and none of it helped. I finally went with the 1000 suggestions online telling people to switch to or test a wired connection  with the PS3 and it doesn't disappoint one bit. The major difference even had me skeptical about the download speeds, and online game performance, even though I was right there looking at it. There's no arguement, PS3 on a wired connection is 100x better than the PS3 on a wireless connection.

Message 15 of 20 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Dec 30, 2012

FidelityNy wrote:

The PS3 and Wi-Fi issues have been discussed for years, it's crap. My home Wi-Fi signal downloads blazing fast on all of our smartphones, tablets, and computers hooked up to Wi-Fi, the PS3 on Wi-Fi is just junk. I spent nights messing with router settings, DMZ, and static IP just to accomodate the PS3 on my Wi-Fi network and none of it helped. I finally went with the 1000 suggestions online telling people to switch to or test a wired connection  with the PS3 and it doesn't disappoint one bit. The major difference even had me skeptical about the download speeds, and online game performance, even though I was right there looking at it. There's no arguement, PS3 on a wired connection is 100x better than the PS3 on a wireless connection.

I'm not saying a wired connection isn't better, nor did Brit...and that goes for any device. All we're saying is that WiFi is generally fine for downloading a game, assuming you're not sitting there and watching it, expecting to play in 5 mins. That being said, it still seems the issue here is likely just about size.

Message 16 of 20 (154 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Dec 30, 2012

xClayMeow wrote:

FidelityNy wrote:

I'm not saying a wired connection isn't better, nor did Brit...and that goes for any device. All we're saying is that WiFi is generally fine for downloading a game, assuming you're not sitting there and watching it, expecting to play in 5 mins. That being said, it still seems the issue here is likely just about size.

I understand, but my first reply wasn't a matter of whether Wi-Fi was generally fine or not, I was stating a fact, if you want faster downloads you NEED a Wired Connection. I'm pretty sure they understand file size differences, and that isn't why they're noticing the drastic download differences from the Vita to the PS3.

Under no circumstance, other than the facts that you have an internet connection under 10mbps, or have high traffic on your network with under 25mbps of available bandwidth, should you be taking over 5 hours on any download off of the Playstation Network. If I can download an 18GB file in 46 minutes off of the Playstation Network I think I have enough knowledge on what I'm doing or suggesting. It was ridiculous of me to wait long hours through downloads, just as the OP is doing, all because I didn't do a few simple things as wire my connection and Restore File System and Rebuild Database.

Message 17 of 20 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5070 posts

Dec 30, 2012

you say tomato i say tomoto 

Message 18 of 20 (141 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
381 posts

Dec 30, 2012

My Wi-Fi downloads just as fast as my wired :\

Message 19 of 20 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2787 posts

Jan 1, 2013

xClayMeow wrote:

FidelityNy wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

FidelityNy wrote:

Correct. Unless you're using a PSP Go, which is on Wireless B. Vita should have no issues though. I have a cheap $30 router that works perfectly fine. Although I have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, which I love.

3GB for me (I'm on a 25mbps connection) should be done in around, under 18 minutes. Just a rough estimate. Less than that if Powerboost kicks in.

Message 20 of 20 (90 Views)