Big Daddy
16918 posts

Re: is Backward compibility important to you?

Sep 13, 2012

Wii U was just announced....

$299 for basic and $349 for Deluxe/Premium model

I'm expecting both consoles from Sony and Microsoft to cost somewhere close to $400-450.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 31 of 52 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4992 posts

Sep 13, 2012

kythunder wrote:

i can careless about BC myself,i have a BC ps3 and do i ever use it? NOPE i sure don't..if i want to play some ps2 games then i play them on my ps2,if i play ps1 games i play them on my ps1..get the point???  these old systems are a dime a dozen but people just want something to complain about because that is human nature and i hope to God that the ps4 does not have BC so it will come out at a decent price unlike the ridiculous 600 dollar ps3...

Let me explain something to you. When you play PS1 or PS2 games on something other than a PS3, the picture quality looks like **bleep** if you watch it on a large HD TV. The picture looks blurry and fuzzy. Also it's also much more convenient to use the wireless controller. Get the point?

semajmarc87
My YouTube | My Twitter
220+ Subscribers | 1,500+ Followers
Message 32 of 52 (100 Views)
VP of Gaming
31042 posts

Sep 13, 2012

mghillsburg wrote:

Sony will never "deliver" a ps4 for 300 straight out of release, were gonna be lookin at around 4-500 bucks! aint that some S**T

$400 isn't bad..... Then again, I did pay $600 for the original PS3....

Message 33 of 52 (96 Views)
First Son
24 posts

Sep 13, 2012
Who the hell do you stand for, the consumers or the businesses?
Would Nintendo have used that line of logic in justification for not including Gamecube Backwards compatibility for the Wii? No, they put it in there because they knew it would sell the console!
Message 34 of 52 (94 Views)
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Sep 13, 2012

forest1903 wrote:
Who the hell do you stand for, the consumers or the businesses?
Would Nintendo have used that line of logic in justification for not including Gamecube Backwards compatibility for the Wii? No, they put it in there because they knew it would sell the console!

It is also not clear to me why Nintendo removed GameCube BC from Wiis made in the last year, probably because it is no longer a selling point...

Message 35 of 52 (89 Views)
First Son
21 posts

Sep 13, 2012

What do you think? Is it that obvious. The idoits couldn't find a way to make the ps2 stuff smaller in the console so they said screw you and need to keep a ps2 for it.

Message 36 of 52 (87 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Sep 13, 2012

JANDS102008 wrote:

What do you think? Is it that obvious. The idoits couldn't find a way to make the ps2 stuff smaller in the console so they said screw you and need to keep a ps2 for it.

The "PS2 Stuff" in the PS3 was basically composed of one chip that was about 1 square inch in size. Space was not this issue why it was removed...

Message 37 of 52 (86 Views)
Big Daddy
19205 posts

Re: is Backward Compatibility important to you?

Sep 14, 2012

Backward compatibility is not all that important to me.

Message 38 of 52 (73 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Re: Is Backward Compatibility Important To You?

Sep 14, 2012

Well in my opinion, I don't think the PS4 needs to be BC.  I mean, just keep your old system. How hard is that?  Yeah you get the whole simplicity thing with BC, but the PS4 should be all about PS4.   It's not like your going to be playing your old games everyday! I mean come on, you have a PlayStation 4!!!!  I doubt very seriously your gonna be like, "oh well, even tho I just got my PS4 yesterday, I think I am going to play some Crash on my good ole PS1..."

Just keep your old systems & hook them up WHEN you want to play.  It's that simple...

Plus making a Console support BC, takes up Programming Room.  Room that COULD have been used to add someting else.  Something that COULD have been really awesome.  So think about that!

Message 39 of 52 (63 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Re: is Backward Compatibility important to you?

Sep 15, 2012
Is it important to me? Not really. Was it a selling point for me with the PS2, sure. But it's not now, I have a PS2 that works great for PS2 and PS1 games. I have a PS3 that works great for PS3 and PS1
Games. It's really a non-issue for me at this point.

As for why it was removed the answers are simple. COST CUTTING, to get the system down to a more desirable price point Sony had to reduced the manufacturing costs. That meant removing the SD and Flash drives, removing two USB ports, and removing the very feature that was a primary culprit to 60 gig YLOD, the PS2 hardware.

Now for issues concerning emulation, it works best when the system architecture is similar, which the PS2 and PS3 and very far removed from each other, making emulation very difficult.

Lastly people were b****ing when the cost of the system was $600+. The system launch was slow as a result. So Sony looked into cutting costs, and the only way they could do it was by removing the systems least used features. Now you have a system that costs only 1/3 of its launch price, and you people are still complaining!

"Screw Sony! They charge too much money for the system, I'm not buying it 'til we get a price cut!"

"Screw Sony!They don't give me what I want, even though I don't think I should have to pay for the extra hardware!"

Do you see the dichotomy here?

Message 40 of 52 (46 Views)
0 Likes