First Son
6 posts

Re: is Backward compibility important to you?

Sep 13, 2012

Rumors has it that the next gen of consoles might not even take discs. Also if you look at the PS4 prototype photos the drive looks smaller than a blu ray drive, more the size of a UMD or minidisc drive. I wouldn't miss it if the hardware just evolved past the point of compatibility, but it is dissappointing that the PS3 has a DVD player yet they don't all support BC. As if software emulation costs much production wise.

Message 21 of 52 (150 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Sep 13, 2012
Whatever PS4 prototype photos you saw were probably ones made by computer graphic artists for fun, so you can't use that as a reliable source.

BC is a lot more complex than you realize, if the PS3 could easily emulate the PS2 through software it probably wouldn't have been taken out. In reality the PS3 still needed PS2 hardware on the motherboard to play PS2 games...
Message 22 of 52 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2534 posts

Re: is Backward compatibility important to you?

Sep 13, 2012

A lot of PS1, PS2, and PS3 as well as PSN games are for sale on the PlayStation Store.  I'm sure that all of them will easily play on the PS4.  I'm not really into playing older games because I already beat most of them when I was a kid.  Sometimes though a good HD remake will come out like the Shadow of the Colossus/ICO collection which will then make it worth my while to beat those games again (and get trophies). 

Play-Asia.com - Buy Games & Codes for PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii U and PC / Mac.
Message 23 of 52 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
140 posts

Sep 13, 2012

No.

Backwards compatibility is not only not important, it would be problematic if Sony does try to implement it. The absolute mess that was Sonys launch of the PS3 could avoided in the launch of the PS4 by streamlining the offerings.

Less confusion over models, a lower price point, more people ready buy NEW games for a NEW System would all be pushed along by NOT having backwards compatibility. This will mean more money to Sony and developers to get more software out specific to the PS4 faster., which mores more development specific to the PS4.

Are people tossing old consoles in the garbage when a new one comes out? Are you running your PS3 under a tap the day the PS4 arrives? If you want to play PS3 games, play them on your PS3!

If backwards compatibility really means that much to you, then don’t buy the PS4 when it launches. Make a statement by not purchasing it. If there really is enough people that feel that strongly about it, Sony will take notice.

Myself, Ill be playing some tasty PS4 games.

Message 24 of 52 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
196 posts

Sep 13, 2012

I don't care anything about backwards compatibility but I have just about every console released since the Atari 2600. But I do know some people who have refused to buy consoles that didn't have it.

Message 25 of 52 (131 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Sep 13, 2012

Error062479 wrote:

No.

Backwards compatibility is not only not important, it would be problematic if Sony does try to implement it. The absolute mess that was Sonys launch of the PS3 could avoided in the launch of the PS4 by streamlining the offerings.

Less confusion over models, a lower price point, more people ready buy NEW games for a NEW System would all be pushed along by NOT having backwards compatibility. This will mean more money to Sony and developers to get more software out specific to the PS4 faster., which mores more development specific to the PS4.

Are people tossing old consoles in the garbage when a new one comes out? Are you running your PS3 under a tap the day the PS4 arrives? If you want to play PS3 games, play them on your PS3!

If backwards compatibility really means that much to you, then don’t buy the PS4 when it launches. Make a statement by not purchasing it. If there really is enough people that feel that strongly about it, Sony will take notice.

Myself, Ill be playing some tasty PS4 games.

IMO the issues with the launch of the PS3 had little to do with BC. Sony was using brand new cutting-edge technology like Blu-Ray, which was the main reason the PS3 was so expensive. Also the learning curve to make PS3 games was quite high at the beginning and the initial PS3 games were not of the best quality. In the PS3's case I believe the BC was important to keep the PS3 afloat in the early years...

Message 26 of 52 (123 Views)
Lombax Warrior
140 posts

Sep 13, 2012

I agree that Sony put it in to try and sell the PS3 with a less than stellar PS3 specific game catalog, but I still think it caused its own issues, including upping the price tag, and confusion in the market place as to which models allowed for BC and which didnt. Too many choices for the marketplace isnt always a good thing.

In my own opinion, the PS4 launch needs to have a lower price tag, to get the system out to consumers quickly and convince developers to really work at making games using the new tools the PS4 will provide.

If leaving out BC helps them keep that price down, I’m all for it.

Message 27 of 52 (118 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Sep 13, 2012

The intitial pricepoint of the PS3 really couldn't be helped, and Sony was losing about $250 per system.  By the time BC was removed from the PS3 the price had been reduced by $200. Removing BC from the PS3 did not really help lower the price, it was cost reduction the the Blu-Ray drive, CPU, GPU and manufacturing reductions that helped reduce the price more than anything else.

I do agree that there was confusion on what PS3 models can play PS2 games, that exists to this day... 

Message 28 of 52 (115 Views)
First Son
24 posts

Sep 13, 2012

Sony will never "deliver" a ps4 for 300 straight out of release, were gonna be lookin at around 4-500 bucks! aint that some S**T

Message 29 of 52 (102 Views)
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Sep 13, 2012

mghillsburg wrote:

Sony will never "deliver" a ps4 for 300 straight out of release, were gonna be lookin at around 4-500 bucks! aint that some S**T

We will have to see, apparently Microsoft is aiming at that pricepoint with the X720 and apparently the X720 and PS4 are both using technology...

Message 30 of 52 (99 Views)