Treasure Hunter
4923 posts

Re: is Backward compibility important to you?

Sep 13, 2012

You guys are right. We should just throw away our hundreds of dollars worth of games from the previous console and switch to the next console like a never ending cycle. I'm thrilled that they're trying to make me buy games twice by trying to make me rebuy all my old games in digital format. I completely understand everyone's kneejerk "backwardz compatibilitiz iz dumbz." Only those weirdos born before 1995 would want to play those lame games that were made before 2005.

semajmarc87
My YouTube | My Twitter
210+ Subscribers | 1,500+ Followers
Message 11 of 52 (175 Views)
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Sep 13, 2012

TheGreatGBD wrote:
I feel that backwards compatibility is extremely important for any console not just a new sony console.

Why?

Microsoft just DROPPED ALL support for B/C when they found it to be too difficult to implement.

B/C should not be a selling point. Why are you going to LIMIT a console with OLD technology for?

There are enough PS1's and PS2s floating around ebay, craigslist and other marketplaces where you can easily find them for cheap

Furiously Chaosing
Message 12 of 52 (174 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Sep 13, 2012
I guess theres no point to making these HD collections then because no one cares about old PS2 games. If they can't put in B/C at the very least transfer the PS2 and PS1 classics to PS4 and focus on adding more games to those lists. I mean nintendo does that and they have the most console sales.
www.youtube.com/user/thelegendarygbd
Message 13 of 52 (165 Views)
First Son
28 posts

Sep 13, 2012

IMO BC is important, I dont like the notion consoles have been taking lately, I dont care if there are many PS2's on the internet, I like my stuff new and scuff free, I bought a PS2 recently brand new from Sony because of that. I believe that a console should be BC with all of its predecessors, I believe they should at least consider a Premium SKU for those who care.

Message 14 of 52 (157 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Sep 13, 2012

i think BC should be standard, i have a huge stack of ps2 games which i cannot play cause my ps3 is a new model slim.... and im not going to buy a ps2 again when mine broke 2 weeks ago.

Message 15 of 52 (145 Views)
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Sep 13, 2012

semajmarc87 wrote:

You guys are right. We should just throw away our hundreds of dollars worth of games from the previous console and switch to the next console like a never ending cycle. I'm thrilled that they're trying to make me buy games twice by trying to make me rebuy all my old games in digital format. I completely understand everyone's kneejerk "backwardz compatibilitiz iz dumbz." Only those weirdos born before 1995 would want to play those lame games that were made before 2005.

I don't believe anyone is saying what you are suggesting, but you have to look at the facts.

Consoles in the past that have had BC usually had technology in them to make that possible, usually the newer console has technology that is a superset of the older technology. However now it really isn't the case. Both the PS3 and the X360 didn't share any common technology with the previous generation. Microsoft attempted software emulation, which was very time consuming to do and in the end were only 50% successful. Nintendo was able to maintain BC going from the GameCube, Wii, and WiiU because the underlining technology was the same.

The exact reason why PS2 BC was taken out of the PS3 isn't completely clear, but statements made by Sony officials suggest that PS2 games were interfering with the sale of the early PS3 games, as the later PS2 games were much stronger and well developed titles. So I believe there were special circumstances that caused Sony to remove PS2 BC from the PS3, otherwise it didn't make any sense for them to remove it.

Going forward, the PS4 and X720 are rumored to not share the same technology as the previous generation, so emulation would be difficult to accomplish and maintain.so I don't think that is going to happen. IMO if Sony and Microsoft can keep their next gen systems at a reasonable price point ~$300, I don't think BC is going to matter as much. At a higher pricepoint I think BC becomes more important for consumers to consider because it helps justify the larger investment required...

Message 16 of 52 (143 Views)
MVP Support
12481 posts

Sep 13, 2012

I play older video games all of the time so I love backward compatible video game consoles. Smiley Happy

PlayStation Consumer Services and Technical Support: 1-800-345-7669

PlayStation Account and Billing Support: 1-877-971-7669

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison | Twitch: Sweet13Poison

Message 17 of 52 (135 Views)
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Sep 13, 2012
IMO it may be wiser in the future to make more digital purchases, that way their is a better chance that it will work on a future system...
Message 18 of 52 (132 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2040 posts

Sep 13, 2012

Yes   I love my old fat ps3 60 model has Backward compibilly .   I alway taking care of my old PS3 stay way from dust and heat.

Message 19 of 52 (129 Views)
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Sep 13, 2012

i can careless about BC myself,i have a BC ps3 and do i ever use it? NOPE i sure don't..if i want to play some ps2 games then i play them on my ps2,if i play ps1 games i play them on my ps1..get the point???  these old systems are a dime a dozen but people just want something to complain about because that is human nature and i hope to God that the ps4 does not have BC so it will come out at a decent price unlike the ridiculous 600 dollar ps3...

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 20 of 52 (126 Views)
0 Likes