Jul 09 2010
By: invader113 Treasure Hunter 5697 posts

invader113 Got the YLOD (BGA Reball info)

937 replies 1077 views Edited Jul 9, 2010

Details:

• Purchased on 4-28-08
  • Arctic Silver 5 paste installed on 5-30-09
  • YLOD on 5-28-10

Options:

• Reflow: A temporary fix at best. Better suited for data retrieval, or quick sell (unethical).
  • Refurb: Unacceptable with the 90 day warranty. Loss of data, plus you get a machine that may have been mistreated un other unknown ways.
  • Reball: Theoretically a permanent solution, but there aren't many places that offer it. And fewer that have feedback to read.

invader113 takes one for the team:

I read about capital circuits on this thread so I decided to give it a try and chronicle the whole experience so the community could have some feedback to decide if it's a good alternative or a complete ripoff.

Here's what I have so far:

• 6-1-10 I called and spoke with Adam and found out it's a two person operation. They're both electrical engineers that actually sell the equipment they use to reball the consoles.

• I asked if they would be using lead solder and they said the decision was mine. He said the problem was not with the lead free solder but with the temperature profile that was used to manufacture the console. He did admit that lead solder produced much stronger joints, but had a lower melting temperature than its non-leaded counterpart. I left the decision to him.

• He stated it is about a weeks turn around time from receiving the console to shipping it back.

• As his website states he will reball the RSX for $99.99 and if necessary the CellBBE. I told him I wanted both done regardless so I wouldn't have to worry about those defective joints coming loose. We agreed on a price of $150.00.

• He said there is a warranty for a year. 

• He also said he doesn't even want a machine that's had a heat gun taken to it. He stated the board could be warped. The chips may be damaged. Overall he said it does more damage than good for long term reliability.

• Payment: They do not ask for payment until they have reballed and verified that the PS3 is functioning properly. He said 1 out of 100 he just cannot fix, if this is the case then all he wants is return shipping. Or I could forfeit the machine, but he said nobody does that.

• A quick trip to google maps shows the address he gave me is a residence in Waverliet NY.

• For my own security I changed the password for PSN on my slim PS3 and also marked all the major components inside the PS3 so I can quickly determine if anything else has been replaced.

• 6-2-10: I shipped it via priority mail:
  • 6-18-10: Haven't heard anything, called-got voicemail. Their message said they would return call within 24 hours
  • Newest update 6-23-10:Called again, emailed and have gotten no responses.

They will not return messages! It has been nearly 3 weeks since I shipped my console. Due to their lack of contact, I conclude this service in NOT RECOMMENDED! If you do business Capital Circuits then proceed at your own risk. If I even get my console back it will not be in the 7 day period they quoted me.

I will continue to update this thread with info as I get it. But I wouldn't be surprised if the number gets disconnected soon and the emails start getting bounced back to me.

UPDATE: On July 5th I sent them an e-mail demanding my broken console back. They finally responded that they had never received a package and had no record of it so that's why they ignored the phone calls and emails.

-July 7th, I went to the post office and they confirmed that the package wasn't delivered got sent back, then re-shipped again and is sitting in a Post Office in NY. I emailed Adam and told him.

-July 8th, Adam responded and was very upset, stating he would get it today and get it done as soon as he can.

i113

RIP Michael Jackson 8-29-58 - 6-25-09
Message 48 of 938 (1,077 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5697 posts

Re: invader113 Got the YLOD (BGA Reball info)

Jun 3, 2010

Reserved for warranty/disputes/long term testing.

Message 1 of 938 (1,077 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jun 3, 2010
Can you elaborate on what Adam ment by saying "temperature profile to make the console" was the cause for YLOD problems?

Also what PS3 model did you send in?
Message 2 of 938 (1,077 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

Jun 3, 2010

Cool man, hope it works out in your favor.

Is he gonna use the lead or lead free?

If you got the lead and it has a lower melting point future reflows would be easier if ever required.

Was he implying that perhaps the lead solder would melt under normal operating conditions in the PS3?

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 3 of 938 (1,077 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5697 posts

Jun 3, 2010

@ Logical_Dolphin: He said SONY and the competition had 30 days to change their equipment per new regulations for lead and "children's toys" and by temperature profile I believe he was talking about the relationship between the heat of the joints, the time it took to get them hot and the rate at which they cooled off. He sounded like he knew what he was talking about, and it was obvious he knew more about electronics than me so it was hard to distinguish between hard fact and B.S. that runs rampant on the net.

@PhillyBlunz: He laid out the pros and cons for both types of solder. It sounds like if I hadn't asked then he would just use the lead free. But in the end I left it up to him to decide what would last longer. If I would have known this was going to happen then I would have made an attempt to find out the difference between the 40gb's operating temp and lead solder's melting point.

i113

Message 4 of 938 (1,077 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24784 posts

Jun 3, 2010
Message 5 of 938 (1,077 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3035 posts

Jun 3, 2010

Keep us Updated.

Message 6 of 938 (1,077 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
72 posts

Jun 3, 2010

Looking forwards to updates. The only way we will know if this process works or not is by trying it and reporting on it. Thank you for "taking one for the team". I need to stop procrastinating and just ship mine out already.

someguy_0
Message 7 of 938 (1,077 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

Jun 8, 2010

And.......... Tell us more!!! i wanna know everuthing about it.

Message 8 of 938 (1,077 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5697 posts

Jun 8, 2010

glauciuss wrote:

And.......... Tell us more!!! i wanna know everuthing about it.

I will tell as soon as I hear. I haven't forgotten this thread. I sent it in on 6-3 priority mail. So at the latest it should have gotten there is Monday (today). Adam said it can take him  up to a week depending on the number of units he has to fix. So my plan is to be patient and not call until Monday the 14th for a status update.

i113

Message 9 of 938 (1,077 Views)
0 Likes