Feb 05 2012
By: jones5614 First Son 4 posts

internet data usage

8 replies 254 views Edited Feb 5, 2012

how much data does the ps3 use while online but not online gaming per say playing asassains creed story mode cause i have a 2 gb limit and i am supposably hogging data usage

Message 1 of 9 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Re: internet data usage

Feb 6, 2012

disconntect your PS3.

if you dont play online, then theres no sense in staying connected if you dont need to be.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 2 of 9 (254 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Feb 10, 2012

that is of no help at all

Message 3 of 9 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1654 posts

Feb 10, 2012

Your question is too open ended, cant really be answered with any certainty. 

Playing offline story mode while still connected should be minimal usage.  However any updates performed for the game itself or for PS3 firmware updates will dramatically effect the usage. Downloading any games or movies will cause a spike in usage.

Depending on who your ISP is, you may be able to access your daily usage and do some testing of it.  I have Comcast myself, not many choices in my area, and I can log on to their site and see my usage for each day.  So maybe you pick a day and dont use the internet for anything else that day other than playing AC offline.  Then check the results the following day to see what the ISP recorded. Other than that, I am not sure what to tell you.

Message 4 of 9 (254 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Feb 11, 2012

ill definitely try that

Message 5 of 9 (254 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Feb 11, 2012

ill definitely try that

Message 6 of 9 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Feb 11, 2012

jones5614 wrote:

that is of no help at all

How?

Its an open ended question, and I gave you an open ended and pretty generic solution....

If you're worried about internet usage, dont stay connected unless you absolutely have to

Furiously Chaosing
Message 7 of 9 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

Feb 15, 2012

If im not mistaken, I believe it uses very little data in online match games since most of the data on the game is coming from your own disc or file and the extra data that the online uses are the other players. Remember that many online console games use one person with the best connection as the host console for every other player. If youre playing an mmorpg where extra matches are from the server, then it uses more.

@Sony - Ditch your faulty eCommerce Payment system and get one that actually works. This is getting old real fast. But I guess you dont want our money if you wont accept funds from our cards Smiley Sad
Message 8 of 9 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Feb 15, 2012

TheUltimateSword wrote:

If im not mistaken, I believe it uses very little data in online match games since most of the data on the game is coming from your own disc or file and the extra data that the online uses are the other players. Remember that many online console games use one person with the best connection as the host console for every other player. If youre playing an mmorpg where extra matches are from the server, then it uses more.

You are still downloading a massive amount of data the longer you play online.

I remember someone actually recording the data going in and out of their PS3 and over the course of about 2 hours he recorded data usage of about 600mb, this was playing COD4:MW. Just because you are uploading to the game, you are still also downloading data as well.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 9 of 9 (254 Views)
0 Likes