14647 posts

Re: inFAMOUS Vita: How would you do it?

Jul 8, 2013

johngie wrote:

ccrogers15 wrote:
How much do you think the dev costs are? Smiley Tongue

Look it up. Thats not "Fine".

I did. It's more than "Fine".

Exactly. The intention was to cut the PS3 and Vita dev kit prices. They are definitely fine.

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 11 of 21 (115 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jul 8, 2013

I'd base it on existing assets to get it out cheaper.  Perhaps at modified Infamous 1 and 2 location but at the second son time-period to allow interconnections.

You could have the game mostly in New Marais where the player has a showdown at New Empire City.

Message 12 of 21 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
446 posts

Jul 8, 2013
I like your idea, OP. Visiting the alternate timeline would be very cool. I think mirroring Second Son would be the best way to do it. Here's what I'm thinking:
- 7 years after the evil ending
- In either Seattle (this would make development easier, too) or another real city. There are tons of choices. I think they should do something other than Empire or New Marais.
- Entirely new character; a woman, for the sake of variety.
- Go inside a lot. Make use of being able to instance a good chunk of the game, allowing the Vita to render less, better. Keep the open world but generally have missions take place inside.
- To fit with going inside, a power source that is less flashy and more stealth able. Smoke would actually be really prefect for this but it's taken. Maybe shadow, but I'm sure there are plenty of others.
- *SPOILERS* The story is that you're a conduit whose non-conduit family is dying from the plague, or something like that. Most normal humans should at least be sick by now, with a very significant portion already dead. You're trying to get the Ray Sphere from Cole so you can save what's left OR become the new dictator of the world using its power.
- Look at Uncharted, Gravity Rush, and Tearaway for inspiration on how to make good use of Vita specific features. They could definitely work well in a superhero game if done right.
- Maybe have Sanzaru develop it? That's just a quick thought, not a well developed suggestion.
I think what I've got up there sounds pretty cool.
Message 13 of 21 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14647 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 8, 2013

jackissocool wrote:
I like your idea, OP. Visiting the alternate timeline would be very cool. I think mirroring Second Son would be the best way to do it. Here's what I'm thinking:
- 7 years after the evil ending
- In either Seattle (this would make development easier, too) or another real city. There are tons of choices. I think they should do something other than Empire or New Marais.
- Entirely new character; a woman, for the sake of variety.
- Go inside a lot. Make use of being able to instance a good chunk of the game, allowing the Vita to render less, better. Keep the open world but generally have missions take place inside.
- To fit with going inside, a power source that is less flashy and more stealth able. Smoke would actually be really prefect for this but it's taken. Maybe shadow, but I'm sure there are plenty of others.
- *SPOILERS* The story is that you're a conduit whose non-conduit family is dying from the plague, or something like that. Most normal humans should at least be sick by now, with a very significant portion already dead. You're trying to get the Ray Sphere from Cole so you can save what's left OR become the new dictator of the world using its power.
- Look at Uncharted, Gravity Rush, and Tearaway for inspiration on how to make good use of Vita specific features. They could definitely work well in a superhero game if done right.
- Maybe have Sanzaru develop it? That's just a quick thought, not a well developed suggestion.
I think what I've got up there sounds pretty cool.

I am not a fan of the diversity argument with characters. I say make the character a woman if you want the character to be a woman. Never sacrifice artistic vision for such a stupid reason, in my opinion.

Otherwise, your list is pretty good! Sanzaru would be intersting, actually. They did Sly justice in both the collection and Sly 4. Why not another Sucker Punch IP?

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 14 of 21 (86 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11353 posts

Jul 8, 2013

If they do an inFamous Vita, I think it needs to be a new character in a new city (like Second Son).  Maybe Chicago (a boss battle at Soldier Field or Wrigley Stadium would be awesome) or San Francisco (ditto for Candlestick Park or Alcatraz).

Message 15 of 21 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
446 posts

Jul 15, 2013

The reason I say a woman is because they're underrepresented. The only major first party games with female leads are Heavenly Sword and Gravity Rush. Like the title says, that's how I would do it. I wouldn't shoehorn a woman into a lead role that was meant for a man, but if I were designing the game from the ground up that's what I'd do. It would give me a lot of room artistically that games don't have since they usually limit themselves to male characters.

Message 16 of 21 (61 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Jul 15, 2013

jackissocool wrote:

The reason I say a woman is because they're underrepresented. The only major first party games with female leads are Heavenly Sword and Gravity Rush. Like the title says, that's how I would do it. I wouldn't shoehorn a woman into a lead role that was meant for a man, but if I were designing the game from the ground up that's what I'd do. It would give me a lot of room artistically that games don't have since they usually limit themselves to male characters.

Not a first-party game, but I highly recommend you check out Remember Me. If you're a PC gamer, you can get it for $30 (40% Off) right now on the Steam Summer Sale. The protagonist is female and very relatable.

Message 17 of 21 (58 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2036 posts

Jul 15, 2013
I haven't finished 2 (I know how it emds) and I'm at the part where the girl gets ice powers. I would:

A) small misc game like FoB ( that's my favorite of the 3 game s)

B) adventure in empire city post Kessler (infamous1 ending) pre beast attack (infamous 2 beginning)

C) ports or remote play function added
Message 18 of 21 (51 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jul 15, 2013
Message 19 of 21 (43 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
446 posts

Jul 15, 2013
Yeah but don't you think they'd at least take a minute to say "Hey we're making a Vita infamous, more info coming later." I suspect it was just there on accident.
Message 20 of 21 (27 Views)
0 Likes