Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
May 21 2011
By: manone111 First Son 2 posts

i have the 80 gig motor storm ps3 and last night it shut off suddenly and is flashing red.

7 replies 59 views Edited May 21, 2011

I went to Toysrus and the sales person told me that i should contact sony because this was happening everywhere.  After the update I used the ps3 for about an hour and for no reason it shut off, I turned it back on and it sayed that it was sending an error to sony this screen was on for less than 10 seconds and it shut off.  Since than it won't even turn on my disk is trapped in side.  Is there any way to fix this problem or do i have to wait for sony again.  Would changing the hard drive help i have an old one and i don't know where the upades are stored.  Please help i have to much free time now. 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 8 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
101 posts

Re: i have the 80 gig motor storm ps3 and last night it shut off suddenly and is flashing red.

May 21, 2011

if it's still on warranty take it to the sony store let them take care of it and they'll probably get the copy out for you or give you a new one and get you a new system

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 8 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
284 posts

Re: i have the 80 gig motor storm ps3 and last night it shut off suddenly and is flashing red.

May 21, 2011

If its a flashing red light your system is possibly overheating, try using compressed air and blowing out the vents and fans. The light isn't flashing a yellow, green, amber followed by 2 or 3 beeps is it?? If thats the case then its the dreaded YLOD or "general hardware failure". Even a flashing red light followed by 2 or 3 beeps can mean this to, in which case your PS3 is dead. If you have been experiencing "freezing" and the system is refusing to startup now it's a good chance your PS3 needs to be sent in for repair.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 8 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
359 posts

May 22, 2011

Good chance it's cooked. Did any power spikes occour in the past week?

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 8 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
461 posts

May 22, 2011

LMAO you went to toysrus to ask about gaming LOOOOOOL!!!!! and lmao you have too much free time now thats funny get a job or something i guess but your ps3 is dead sorry

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 8 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2235 posts

May 22, 2011

Garyxyz851 wrote:

LMAO you went to toysrus to ask about gaming LOOOOOOL!!!!! and lmao you have too much free time now thats funny get a job or something i guess but your ps3 is dead sorry

Free userbars Free userbars Free userbars Free userbars Free userbars Free userbars Free userbars

Its only funny till it happens to you. So do us a favor,let us know when your PS3 bricks so we can dispense you some laugh medicine too.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 8 (59 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

May 22, 2011

Hope this infor helps!

http://www.techeye.net/hardware/sony-kills-older-ps3s-with-update

Owning a PS3 is fast becoming an albatross around user's heads. So far, Sony has allowed hackers to take credit card details and personal data and has turned off the network for a month. Now, it seems, in a desperate bid to stop them installing Linux onto their systems, the Japanese outfit is causing its punter's machines to overheat. Firmware update 3.61 for the PS3 has created a big problem for older consoles. If you have a 60GB model, the warranty is gone, and the update appears to cause your machine to die by overheating. The news comes from Rockstar which is cross that people are complaining that its new game, LA Noire, is killing their machines. It insists that it is not Rockstar's fault. Initially Rockstar released a statement to this effect and then retracted it.The original statement said that it had received some reports of PS3s overheating while playing L.A. Noire or beeping three times before shutting down or turning themselves off, mostly on older 60GB and 80GB fat models.

The statement said that updating to firmware 3.61 will cause PlayStations to overheat. There have been various reports of this on a few different games now, all reporting their PS3s turning off or 'Red Lighting' after having installed 3.61. It claimed that it had confirmed locally that multiple games overheat or freeze only when 3.61 is installed. Obviously you can't release a statement like that based on limited R&D, which is why Rockstar pulled it. But it does look like it is the case. Sony has not made any statement on the meltdown of older machines. We expect owners to point out the same sorts of problems had with Microsoft's Xbox. The Red Ring is a fact of life for many. After all, your favourite company's failings are always seen in perspective of some rival's.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (59 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

May 22, 2011

IMO the real issue is that the thermal paste in your PS3 has dried up, and was subject to overheating and a YLOD issue. This probably could have been prevented if the thermal paste were changed with a better quality paste. At this point your best option is to have your PS3 reballed. Sony doesn't perform this service, your best bet is a company called Endless Electronics LLC...

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 8 (59 Views)
0 Likes