Lombax Warrior
201 posts

Re: how much does linux cost?

Nov 24, 2006

BlazingDragon wrote:
It's free to download; only costs money if you want them to mail you the DVD and provide technical support.

As somoeone else mentioned above, if you're new to Linux (as implied by not knowing how to download and burn disk images) I recommend you stay well clear of trying to install Linux on your PS3.

If you're really interested in Linux, build yourself a cheap PC and install Ubuntu or Fedora on it...

Message Edited by BlazingDragon on 11-23-2006 06:35 PM

from the Fedora vid it seemed to be just a basic desktop after all the loading. and if Yellow Dog is designed specifically for the PS3 wouldn't it be created to let more users enjoy it without the complications of most other linux OS's?
Message 11 of 13 (9 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1361 posts

Nov 24, 2006
since yellow dog is going to be made specifically for ps3 itll probably be alot faster and less complex
Message 12 of 13 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
753 posts

Nov 24, 2006
i installed linux on my ps3 (fedora core 5)...works ok...kinda fuzzy since i dont have a nice tv to play it on (i have a CRT) ....but it wuznt really that hard to do...download dvd iso(took a long time tho)...burn it 2 dvd...download addon iso and burn to a cd....download otheros files and install it on ps3 os...create partitions and it tells you everything to do....check link and it will tell you all the steps to do in order to get our linux up in runnin...BUT wat they fail to say is once all is complete and u enter pw...on the last screen you need to enter "startx"...from there linux os will boot up...ok so it does sound complicated but it wuznt for me cuz im used to working with computers...iz second nature almost
"DONT FEED THE DUCKS"
PSN HANDLE: MagNuM-OPs
Message 13 of 13 (9 Views)
0 Likes