Highlighted
Mar 25 2011
By: TheBigSalad Lombax Warrior 105 posts
Accepted Solution

how long will the psp be supported?

10 replies 1483 views Edited Mar 25, 2011

after the ngp comes out, does anyone know how long games (UMD and/or digital) will be made for the PSP?

Message 1 of 11 (1,483 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8202 posts

Re: how long will the psp be supported?

Mar 25, 2011

Sony has a 10 year lifecycle for their hardware, so I'm guessing until 2014.

However, it's more likely to be "as long as it's profitable."

Message 2 of 11 (1,483 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1344 posts

Mar 25, 2011

Consoles have a life span of 5-10 years. And the PSP would be out of support by maybe 2015?

Message 3 of 11 (1,483 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
31526 posts

Mar 26, 2011

No one knows, including Sony.  The PSP-3000 doesn't complete directly with the NGP, so there is no reason for Sony to discontinue it as long as it is still selling well enough to justify keeping it in the product line. The PS2 is still being manufactured more than 4 years after the release of the PS3.  The XBox and GameCube are long gone, but the PS2's library of more than 10,000 games worldwide will never be exceeded by a home console.  The PSP Go, on the other hand; that will be discontinued within a year after the release of the NGP.

As for games, there are at least a couple of year's worth that are already in development for the PSP.  Publishers will continue to produce games for the PSP for as long as there is still demand for them.  PSP games will play on the NGP if they are in the Playstation Store. Also remember that there are more than 50 million PSPs in gamer's hands.  It will be years (if ever) before there are even half that many NGPs sold.  For many publishers, the PSP will continue to be an attractive platform to develop for, at least for a couple of years.  Longer if the NGP gets as slow a start as the PS3 did.

GKP
Message 4 of 11 (1,483 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Mar 26, 2011

It depend on how long publishers support it, the Playstation 2 is still being suppported now and that is eleven years after its release. But if you look at the support of the PSP so far I do not think that it will be supported for very long, publishers have pulled away because they are not getting much in the way of sales.

However I believe the PSPgo will outlive the standard PSP, companies will drop the UMD because it is expensive and as with the NGP the PSN store is the major push, Sony have stated that all games that are released physically for the NGP will be available as a download, but that does not mean that all games will get a physical release. So as developers concentrate on PSN releases for the NGP the PSP PSN deleivery system will be much more streamlined and easier for them.

Message 5 of 11 (1,483 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
31526 posts

Mar 26, 2011

It remains to be seen how well the NGP will be supported, but the NGP already does what the PSP Go does for only $50 more; so the PSP Go appears to be redundant in the product line.  That, coupled with the fact that the Go never sold well, makes it unlikely that Sony will continue with it long term.  The Go is widely acknowledged as a failure, and in Sony's latest PSP marketing campaign the PSP Go is conspicuous by its absence.  I think that Sony will want to end the PSP Go chapter sooner rather than later. I agree that there will be more PSP releases in the Playstation Store after the NGP is released, but I don't think that UMD releases will drop that much for the first year or two.  The cost of the media is irrelevant.  Everyone knows that it is more cost effective to distribute in the Playstation Store.  The problem is that few Playstation Store games have sold more than a few hundred thousand copies, and most of those have been minis or other low-cost titles.  The revenue from retail is much higher for console games, especially for big budget titles.  A low distribution cost isn't a good thing if low sales go with it.  Sony already learned with the PSP Go that releasing a download-only console doesn't necessarily mean that all of the people that bought retail games before will just start buying them online.  Past experience suggests that consumers will either buy fewer games, or publishers will have to dramatically lower the price of the games in order to sell the same amount (e.g. Steam). As we have discussed many times in this forum, digital distribution has disadvantages relative to retail from the perspective of the consumer, and therefore that change drives prices down. Either way, it translates to lower revenue, and lower profits, for the publishers.  And that means fewer games, especially AAA games,  get made for the platform.  Publishers will use whatever distribution method maximizes sales.  A few dollars one way or the other for media and packaging are not the deciding factor.

GKP
Message 6 of 11 (1,483 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
369 posts

Mar 26, 2011

Ha the PSP games aren't going anywhere. The PS2 is still going strong, even after all this time.

So my guess is the same thing will happen to the PSP.

Message 7 of 11 (1,483 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1344 posts

Mar 27, 2011

csf103 wrote:

Ha the PSP games aren't going anywhere. The PS2 is still going strong, even after all this time.

Get your Portable ID!
Level 6 trophies by 1/1/11

If the developers/publisher says this...

Platforms: Sony PSP / Playstation NGP

Then clearly the PSP is still supported.

Message 8 of 11 (1,483 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Mar 27, 2011

csf103 wrote:

The thing is the PS2 was going strong originally, the PSP has been wavering. Sony's advertising for it has been terrible, there are still people who I meet who do not know what it is yet they all know Nonty's stuff even if they are not gamers.

Message 9 of 11 (1,483 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Apr 4, 2011

Games will be sold on memory sticks..or you can download them to your memory stick. The sticks are quite cheap now.

Message 10 of 11 (1,483 Views)
0 Likes