Nov 14 2012
By: TRIAD-666 First Son 1 posts

help me please

12 replies 193 views Edited Nov 14, 2012

so i finally got internet into my new house.  however, i can only hook it up to one laptop at the moment since it does not require a modem and did not come with a router.  at the moment, i have a wireless ad-hoc connection connecting the laptop with the wired internet connection to my netbook (enabling my netbook to have internet access).  my question is, how do i keep these connections and enable my ps3 to use the internet through my netbook?  i've tried just about everything aside from getting a cat5 cable seeing as i did not need one before.  all i did before was set up a network bridge between both the internet adapters on the netbook.  this process, however, did not work this time.  is my only option to wait til i can get a wireless router? or is there a way to be a ninja and get it all working as is?

Message 1 of 13 (193 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5382 posts

Re: help me please

Nov 14, 2012

I don't know the answer, but why not just get a router?  They aren't that expensive and it would greatly simplify your setup.

Message 2 of 13 (190 Views)
Monster Hunter
42 posts

Nov 15, 2012

Yes just get a router, preferrably Linksys. There not that much and you can connect anything in your house that uses internet to the internet. But don't forget to lock your router so outside sources won't be able to access your internet.

Message 3 of 13 (162 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2195 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 15, 2012

Get a router, Netgear has been my best.  Motorola is the best Modems, however their Modem router combo sucks.  Its really unsecure and resets paswords and stuff ranomly.  Motorola Modem, Netgear router is my best combo.  However if you do get a Motorola cable modem router combo, you can set it to bridge mode and use your own router.  I didnt know that.

Pay your fair share and your taxes and help your employees and pay your employees fair, Corporations. Stop cheating people.
Message 4 of 13 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6529 posts

Nov 15, 2012

Sprinkle-Me_Baby wrote:

Yes just get a router, preferrably Linksys. There not that much and you can connect anything in your house that uses internet to the internet. But don't forget to lock your router so outside sources won't be able to access your internet.

Linksys has gone to crap over the last couple of years... go Netgear.

Launch PS4 || Launch 60GB YLOD || PS3 Slim 1TB || Gaming since October 1977 (Atari VCS launch)
Message 5 of 13 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6529 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 15, 2012

I'm still confused by the original post; how is your laptop/netbook connected to the internet? cable? DSL? wired? if so.. into what? wireless? to what device?

Launch PS4 || Launch 60GB YLOD || PS3 Slim 1TB || Gaming since October 1977 (Atari VCS launch)
Message 6 of 13 (151 Views)
PlayStation MVP
15984 posts

Nov 15, 2012

ThePunisher wrote:

Sprinkle-Me_Baby wrote:

Not when you use CFW like Tomato or DD-WRT

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 7 of 13 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6529 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 15, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

ThePunisher wrote:

Sprinkle-Me_Baby wrote:

I would know... I was a diehard Linksys fanboy; even with custom firmares you can't escape the quality issues.  After 10+ years of Linksys routers I picked up a Netgear WNDR4500 and never looked back.

Message 8 of 13 (135 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15984 posts

Nov 15, 2012

ThePunisher wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

ThePunisher wrote:

Sprinkle-Me_Baby wrote:

I would know... I was a diehard Linksys fanboy; even with custom firmares you can't escape the quality issues.  After 10+ years of Linksys routers I picked up a Netgear WNDR4500 and never looked back.

I have an old WRT54 thats still kicking, as well as an E3000. No problems here. the WRT served me well for close to 10 years and the E3000 has yet to disappoint.

I HAD a netgear once upon a time before I had the E3000 and issues galore with connectivity

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 9 of 13 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
42 posts

Nov 16, 2012
Never had a problem with Linksys, maybe it was just your connectivity? @thepunisher
Message 10 of 13 (106 Views)
0 Likes