Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 04 2012
By: AG_SWAG First Son 4 posts

having trouble backing up my files..

7 replies 98 views Edited Oct 4, 2012
Listen i think ive tried everythibg i have a 1 Tb n an external hard drive and i cant back up my files anf i dont.understand.. i only have a 80 gb which is full bit still there should be no problem.with backing.it up.. youd thibk.. and before u say it yes it is in fat32 farmatt.. this is what happens when it starts to back up ot will get to abiut 10 percent than how an error screen that says this hard drive can be acessed.. im trying to put a new hard drive into this playstation thats why i wanted to back everything up... pkease help me or if u have any ideas feel free to leave a message...
Message 1 of 8 (98 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15650 posts

Re: having trouble backing up my files..

Oct 4, 2012

Theres probably some underlying "permission" issue with your external drive thats preventing the PS3 from writing the backup data to it.
The externall will probably only allow data to be written to it only if the data comes from your computer.

I've had the same problem with an external drive and the only way I fixed it was reformatting the external drive..... not some "quick" format either.... but a long lengthy "FULL format" followed by a disk checking program

Logic, who would've thought eh? Oh wait.... No one thinks anymore.
Message 2 of 8 (92 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Oct 4, 2012
Mann that dont sound fun but i cant figure it out and im about to thow my ps3 out lol... How do u think i get past this bc the external company says ita playstations file is bigger than 4 gb thats why it wouldnt transfer any further under the fat32.. but then i switch it to a.different formatt and the ps wont accept it in any other formatt soo im loat os there another way to back all this up
Message 3 of 8 (90 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15650 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 4, 2012

the 4Gb file limit doesnt apply when the PS3 is making a backup..... what it does is it compresses and splits the entire backup-file(s) to stay within the limits of the FAT32 file structure/format, this is why a lot of people complain about the backup and restore process and how it takes hours

The PS3 can only read FAT32 format external devices.....

Are you trying to perform a system backup, or copy one file to the external?

Message 4 of 8 (86 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Oct 4, 2012
I was trying system back up... and it kept saying at 10 percent that the hard drive cant by accessed and stops.

What does a back up really back up..... if i put a new hard drive in will it pull up all my files back on it again or is it smart to back up.. is there a way i could hook it up to a computer and back it up or.maybe ill try another external hard drive
Message 5 of 8 (79 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15650 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 5, 2012

AG_SWAG wrote:
I was trying system back up... and it kept saying at 10 percent that the hard drive cant by accessed and stops.

What does a back up really back up..... if i put a new hard drive in will it pull up all my files back on it again or is it smart to back up.. is there a way i could hook it up to a computer and back it up or.maybe ill try another external hard drive

The backup utility backs up EVERYTHING on the hdd, photos, video, music, game saves that are not copy protected....

conversely you can delete all the game data, DLC, any other data like photos, video and music that you have redundant copies of on a PC or other external device and digital download games so that the backup file wont have to be as large

if you put in a new hard drive, you lose all your data..... its does not magically put all your files back on the hdd if you do not have an existing backup that you can restore from.

IT IS ALWAYS SMART to backup.... if you can. 

No you cannot put in on a computer and perform a backup..... the computer will not see the hdd because it is in a different format than what Windows or Apple can recognize and it is encrypted as well.

try backing up to another external hdd if you have that ability..... make sure that it is in FAT32 format.... otherwise its not going to work.... 
If you still get the same message, its likely your ps3's hdd is too far out of whack/corrupted to be able to make a proper backup file.

Message 6 of 8 (70 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Oct 5, 2012
Can some name some external hard drives that worked on there ps3....
Message 7 of 8 (53 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6482 posts

Oct 5, 2012

I have a LaCie 500Gb drive that works - both on PC and PS3.  It has it's own power adapter.  My portable Western Digital 320Gb drive powered by USB will NOT work with the PS3.

** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **
Playstation Signature photo Signature-1.jpg
MVP Terms and Conditions ______(=^‥^=)______ Forum Rules of Conduct

Message 8 of 8 (50 Views)
0 Likes