Feb 21 2011
By: DuoMaxwell007 Sackboy 456 posts

firmware 3.55 breaks consoles?

7 replies 192 views Edited Feb 21, 2011

Well I had 3.55 and now 3.56 installed and nothing ever happened to my console, but nmy cousin who just got his ps3 back after months (it just got fixed) said he was warned not to update because it might mess up his ps3. Im trying to convince him otherwise but he want listen, saying inothing happened to me because I have a slim and the update crash only effects the older models (which Ive yet to se anything that backs up his statement) The last time I heard of an update bricking a system was back a long time ago thats since been fixed, Ive never heard of 3.55 doing it.. can anyone confirm that?

Also even if 3.55 did effect consoles isnt 3.56 out now> Im sure that update fixed whatever was wrong with 3.55 so now ppl should have nothing to worry about correct? I already told him if he doesnt update he cant play online and he says "well I guess I just wont be playing online then" because he doesnt want to have to have paid 70 bucks to get it fixed only for it to break right again as soon as he updates it. Heres what I read regarding 3.55 crashes:

"On December 7, 2010, Sony released an update to the PlayStation3 (“PS3”) system software. This update allows PS3 owners to upgrade their system software to Version 3.55. With this latest software version (along with version 3.50), PS3 users can now play 3D content on Blu-ray 3D discs, access public information on Facebook from Facebook-supported games, and submit “grief reports” to document unwelcome or harassing messages. Version 3.55 also added a new security patch.

Within hours of its release, PS3 users began flooding online chat forums with complaints that Version 3.55 was causing their PS3 systems to “brick” or crash. Angry PS3 owners are reporting that after downloading Version 3.55, their systems “freeze” and then experience the “red blinking light of death.” After reporting these problems to Sony Customer Service Representatives, many owners have been told that Sony would charge them significant fees to fix their systems.

This is not the first time Sony has received complaints after releasing a new PS3 system software update. In fact, Sony is currently defending a class action lawsuit in federal court based upon problems caused by a 2009 software update. The chief complaint in that lawsuit is that Version 3.0 and 3.01 software system updates caused numerous PS3s to malfunction, and that Sony charged fees of $150 to repair the damage.

Sony is also defending another class action brought by unhappy PS3 owners based on the release of update Version 3.21. When installed, Version 3.21 disables the “Other OS” feature that had enabled the PS3 to be operated as a personal computer (a feature Sony had advertised and marketed extensively before the update was released). Calvo & Clark, LLP and other law firms are representing the plaintiffs in that lawsuit.

Calvo & Clark, LLP’s Guam and San Francisco offices are currently investigating these new problems caused by Version 3.55. Please contact Calvo & Clark, LLP if your PS3 has malfunctioned as a result of installing that update.

On December 9, 2010, we reported that Sony’s new Version 3.55 system software update was allegedly causing some PlayStation3 (“PS3”) systems to malfunction. Since then, we have been contacted by PS3 owners from all over the country complaining that the update had apparently caused “freezing” and “bricking” problems.

We are continuing to investigate this issue. If evidence supports it, any lawsuit against Sony would likely be filed as a proposed national class action. We would file any such case through our Guam office given its proximity to Japan, where Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. is headquartered. We are particularly interested in Guam PS3 owners’ experiences with the Version 3.55 update, but experiences of users nationwide are relevant. Please contact us if your PS3 has malfunctioned during or immediately following that update. Please be specific about what model PS3 you own."

He also says and if his ps3 does break because of it Sony wont fix it (at least not for free) which I think is stupid because it would be their fault wouldnt it? So does anyone know anything about this? Or have something I can tell my cousin (or a link I can show him) that would dispel his fears of updating, maybe someone here has an older model ps3 with 3.55/3.56 installed and its working fine? Or maybe someone can confirm that whatever IS wrong with 3.55 is indeed fixed (i.e no reprt of 3.56 bricking a ps3 right) in 3.56 and since thats the current version out he has nothing to worry about anyway? thanks in advanced

Message 1 of 8 (192 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Re: firmware 3.55 breaks consoles?

Feb 21, 2011

Don't worry about the updates. Worry about the hackers.

Message 2 of 8 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
456 posts

Feb 21, 2011

that doent answer my question, i should be very worried about th updates if itll break my console AND sony wont fix THIER mistake for free

Message 3 of 8 (192 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Feb 21, 2011

I never had a problem with any of the official updates. Nor should you.

Message 4 of 8 (192 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Feb 22, 2011

Most peoples PS3 only brick from the 3.55 version only if they hack.If you don't hack,then go back to the person who fixed your cousin's PS3 and ask them again.

Message 5 of 8 (192 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Feb 24, 2011

i have seen many issues caused by updates

but there is nothign you can do about this

sony will not accept liability for it and deny they are the cause

but the effects range from

killing systems (bricks)

killing bluray drive boards

killing bluray lasers

then there is always the issue where if system is not actually repaired right or a cable is not plugged in perfect cuasing the update to loop only to a certian % this can be caused by bluray ribbon, wifi and blutooth board not plugged in correctly see these many times but there are many issues that cuase this problem.

hope this helps

all i can say is update and cross fingers everytime you do so as sony has no remorse for breaking your system .... it makes them more money in fact

Message 6 of 8 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Feb 24, 2011

The latest update 3.56V1 did in fact mess up many many PS3 does not matter phat or slim.

The issues is if y ou updated to 3.56V1 and then decided to format you hard drive or upgrade your hard drive you have bricked your PS3.

Sony tried to sneak in a quick fix with 3.56v2, but this only helped the people who had the original hard drive.  if you don't have the original hard drive you are stuck with a messed up PS3 that is bricked.

The update 3.56v1 caused this issue and sony has done very little to mention it and nothing to fix the 1000's of PS3 that are now affected from here to Europe.

Also 3.56 have reports of messing up the Bluray player when playing blueray and some mention of Streaming video now skipping more then before.

Message 7 of 8 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Feb 26, 2011

i have verion 3.56 and my bluray drive is not playing movies od ps3 games, i believe that the update caused it as for my ps3 stilll plays ps2 ps1 and dvd, i have ,e model 80 gig, iv contacted sony and tryed everything to restore it but they say must send in for repair, bul shiet. im waiting for the next update but could be months.

Message 8 of 8 (192 Views)
0 Likes