Lombax Warrior
241 posts

Re: does ps4 require you to install full games?

Nov 7, 2013
How exactly are we suppose to install the operating system to the new hard drive we put in though if ps4 doesn't support external storage yet so no flash drives and such, do we have to hook it up to our computer now and install the OS from there now then instead of putting it on a flash
Message 11 of 34 (696 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
734 posts

Nov 7, 2013
Not smart in programming but i believe the OS would be stored on a seperated hd? Cmos? Something. Hopefully someone can chime in on the real answer
Message 12 of 34 (688 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6026 posts

Nov 7, 2013

Rikku wrote:
How exactly are we suppose to install the operating system to the new hard drive we put in though if ps4 doesn't support external storage yet so no flash drives and such, do we have to hook it up to our computer now and install the OS from there now then instead of putting it on a flash

The OS is part of the ram, we have been told by developers that 6GB of the ram is for games/developers, 512mb is used for recording every 15 minutes, and the rest is either used for the OS and reserved units.

Message 13 of 34 (662 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
63 posts

Nov 7, 2013

da1writer wrote:

Rikku wrote:

The OS is part of the ram, we have been told by developers that 6GB of the ram is for games/developers, 512mb is used for recording every 15 minutes, and the rest is either used for the OS and reserved units.

I think they meant that the OS will reserve some RAM for it's functions. Like a portion that no other application can use. That way your OS should never slow down or not have enough ram( like accessing psn on the ps3 during gameplay)

RAM is flushed whenever you turn your system off, so if it was in the RAM then you could never turn your ps4 off or you would lose your OS.

The OS will be on the HDD

Message 14 of 34 (648 Views)
MVP Support
6026 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 7, 2013

Hunter926 wrote:

da1writer wrote:

Rikku wrote:

I think they meant that the OS will reserve some RAM for it's functions. Like a portion that no other application can use. That way your OS should never slow down or not have enough ram( like accessing psn on the ps3 during gameplay)

RAM is flushed whenever you turn your system off, so if it was in the RAM then you could never turn your ps4 off or you would lose your OS.

The OS will be on the HDD

To a certain extent but the OS will not be HDD dependant, just like the 360 in the beginning didn't have a hard drive but still had an OS. It is totally separate and additional functions and features will be dumped on the hard drive itself.

The PS3 has a fully functional OS that isn't HDD dependant either, the 12GB model is proof, being able to upgrade your hard drives without a back up as well shows that the OS is not entirely part of the hard drive initially. There's a reason why consoles are different than PC, you take the HDD out and replace it without a backup or OS file/CD, you got a non-functioning PC - swap a hard drive out of a PS3 or PS4 and don't backup your data, your fine and still won't need an internet connection.

Message 15 of 34 (643 Views)
Splicer
63 posts

Nov 7, 2013

da1writer wrote:
To a certain extent but the OS will not be HDD dependant, just like the 360 in the beginning didn't have a hard drive but still had an OS. It is totally separate and additional functions and features will be dumped on the hard drive itself. The PS3 has a fully functional OS that isn't HDD dependant either, the 12GB model is proof, being able to upgrade your hard drives without a back up as well shows that the OS is not part of the hard drive.

I almost look at it like a bios on a computer, eg. when you insert a fresh hdd your prompted to insert a flash drive with the OS update so it can be loaded onto the hdd. so there's a separate small OS installed for emergencies(like if you have no OS) but the actual User OS is on the HDD.

I may be wrong but it's the way I see it on PS3

I would assume PS4 will be the same, but i could be wrong and they could have the OS on a separate internal storage medium (I think that's what you were saying), while the games and everything else are on the user removable hdd. I doubt the second option but it is a possibility.

Ive never seen the 12GB model so I can't vouch for that, however the other PS3 models I have owned have all been the way I explained above

Again this is all just from my personal experience, with my observations and opinions mixed in.

Message 16 of 34 (633 Views)
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Nov 7, 2013
I have seen the 12 GB edition and I dont know who would like to buy that because if you like streaming you might as well buy a computer o the one you have use it with HDMI.

LifeStyle Ambassador Program.
My Youtube Channel. Subscribe here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4u4grBAukysjm2j8f44VLw
Message 17 of 34 (617 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14231 posts

Nov 7, 2013

Is there an option for a 5TB HD?

Because by my calculations that is what I'll need.

Message 18 of 34 (616 Views)
Wastelander
734 posts

Nov 7, 2013
2tb is the largest. Down the line you never know
Message 19 of 34 (612 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
911 posts

Nov 7, 2013

Aureilia wrote:

Is there an option for a 5TB HD?

Because by my calculations that is what I'll need.

That's a negative Ghost Rider...the pattern is full.

There is a 2TB 9.5" that is rumored to be in production. a 5TB of that size is many years away, IMO.

Message 20 of 34 (611 Views)
0 Likes