First Son
2 posts

Re: data transfer utility not working

Jan 2, 2010
I just got my new PS3 slim (UK) to replace my dated PS3 Fat, and had the same issue of the ethernet cable not being detected, even when I disabled the internet connection and media server connection.  My solution was to keep the internet connection enabled, however I changed the internet settings to Wired rather than Wireless to stop the wifi overiding the ethernet cable connection.  Worked a treat, transferring as we speak.
Message 21 of 74 (1,447 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 4, 2010

okay, so now that ive followed eloscurosecreto directions my transfer is FINALLY working. biggest things might be to disable internet on BOTH systems, and manually deactivate your previous system, and ACTIVATE your new system. the video wasnt activated on my new sys so that couldve been a problem. also check your media server connections in the network settings and make sure they are both disabled.

again, thanks eloscurosecreto.  also, funny name.

Message 22 of 74 (1,447 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jan 4, 2010

tried all the above with no joy

Sony suggest I need a crossover cable but I have a couple (one made for me by a company and one I made) and they don't work - I wonder, I have a JP 60gb lanuch PS3, I wonder if this might be the issue?

Message 23 of 74 (1,447 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 5, 2010

IM NOT USING ALL CAPS CAUSE IM SCREAMING...I FINALLY GOT THE DATA TRANSFER TO WORK FROM A FAT 40 TO A THIN 120....HERES WHAT YOU DO

Sony says nothing about internet connection...you must disconnect from internet first.  go to settings then network settings then internet disable....then disable media server...go to settings network settings disconnect media server......this worked perfect for me..Transfer took about 13 minutes using a regular ethernet cable....Every bit of my data got transfered and everything is working great now.  I have to credit a previous post for this info, im just putting it out on another thread to spread the good news...GOOD LUCK message me back if it dont work.  Ive been trying to do this for about 6 hours so i know whats up

Message 24 of 74 (1,447 Views)
First Son
19 posts

Jan 5, 2010

Tekbunny wrote:
thanks eloscurosecreto.  also, funny name.

el oscuro secreto = the dark secret

So it seems that a lot of people have confirmed that issue lies with the wireless port being enabled and connected. Disable your wifi and media server, restart and get transferring guys!

Message 25 of 74 (1,447 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1174 posts

Jan 5, 2010
Guys make sure your internet connection is disable, also look for corrupted data (for both ps3s)
Message Edited by Edin99 on 01-04-2010 08:21 PM
Message 26 of 74 (1,447 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 11, 2010

I was just about to do a transfer but I was wondering if everything on the older system gets transfered like PS2 saves and Game data?

Thanks

Message 27 of 74 (1,447 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jan 12, 2010

Everything gets transfered..........i just finished backing up my old 80 b/c and I had music, pics, some game demos, fat princess, ps2 saves and game data

They all are backed up and working fine (i tested).

Just follow the steps on page 2.

Message 28 of 74 (1,447 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jan 27, 2010
thanks bra, it's working now... I was about to **bleep** a brick til I found this, owe you one
Message 29 of 74 (1,447 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2575 posts

Feb 6, 2010

eloscurosecreto wrote:

SUCCESS!

So if you have been reading my posts, most of you all are having the same issues that I am (was) having.

I gathered as much information as I could from the net and tried a few options that were specifically not listed in Sony's directions.

First off, DO NOT USE A CROSSOVER CABLE! I've seen a lot of people stating that you must use a crossover cable. I thought this would be the case since you are connecting directly to another system, but I thought it was a little strange that Sony would not mention something as crucial as this. I recommend using a category 6 Ethernet cable for faster transfer speeds.

Follow the Data Transfer Utility preparation instructions I modified to get me through this heartache:

PlayStation®3 System Software Version 3.15

Settings

Data transfer utility

Preparing the systems to transfer data

Before starting the data transfer operation, you must perform the following steps.

1. Update the system software of both PS3™ systems to version 3.15.

2. Prepare the PS3™ system that will send the data (the “source system”).
If multiple users exist on the source PS3™ system, you must perform the following operations for all of the users before starting the data transfer operation.

• Create a PlayStation®Network account if a user does not have an account.
    Select (PlayStation®Network) > (Sign Up for PlayStation®Network), and then follow the on-screen instructions to create an account.
  • Deactivate the PS3™ system if the data to be transferred contains content that was purchased from PlayStation®Store.
    Select (PlayStation®Network) > (Account Management) > (System Activation).
  • Activate the PS3™ destination system
       Select (PlayStation®Network) > (Account Management) > (System Activation).
  • Back up, or "sync", trophy information on the PS3™ system with the PlayStation®Network server if you want to transfer trophy information.
    Sign in to PlayStation®Network, and then select (Game) > (Trophy Collection).
  • Sign in to (PlayStation®Home) before transferring the data if you have obtained reward items for use in (PlayStation®Home) on the source system.
  • Disable the Internet Connection on both systems.

Select (Settings) > (Network Settings) > (Internet Connection)

• Disable the Media Server Connection on both systems.
       Select (Settings) > (Network Settings) > (Media Server Connection)
  • Back up your profile information and stages you created in LittleBigPlanet™ to your saved game. You can then use the data when playing LittleBigPlanet™ on the destination PS3™ system.

This worked for me and hopefully it will for you! I have highlighted what I changed in the directions so that they are apparent. One or two of the additions may be irrelevant, but I am too lazy to go back to see if that is true. My suspicions are that if you have wireless enabled and connected, your system will ignore the Ethernet interface and therefore won't recognize the connection between the two systems.

Note: Try this at your own risk! If for some reason this voids your warranty or causes your system to behave out of the normal, I am not responsible.

Enjoy your new system.

bumping this thread beacuse is this is what i had to do to get my ps3s to recognize ethernet,figured it might help anyone who is currently having this issue 

Prime copy

Message 30 of 74 (1,447 Views)
0 Likes