First Son
2 posts

Re: data transfer utility not working

Jan 1, 2010

okay, so now ive tried 2 different ethernet cables and am trying to get the junk off my old 40g ps3 to my new 120g ps3. did as was told and updated both to the latest version of the os (3.15 as of this writing), turned both systems off, plugged in an ethernet cable directly from one to the other, turned on both systems, selected the data transfer utility to send data to my new ps3. once that was confirmed i was told to check the other system and set it to recieve. i have done all this properly and after a while of hanging it also tells me "An Ethernet cable is not connected, or the other PS3 system is not turned on.

both of which are total bs.

soooo, got any advice? id like to be able to give this old ps3 to my sister so she can watch blu rays and play games sometime soon here. =-P

Message 11 of 74 (4,784 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Jan 1, 2010
Message 12 of 74 (4,784 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Jan 1, 2010

What two systems did you use? It seems the people who are having trouble are the ones with the 40GB.

I'm going from 40GB to 120GB

Message 13 of 74 (4,784 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Jan 2, 2010

SUCCESS!

So if you have been reading my posts, most of you all are having the same issues that I am (was) having.

I gathered as much information as I could from the net and tried a few options that were specifically not listed in Sony's directions.

First off, DO NOT USE A CROSSOVER CABLE! I've seen a lot of people stating that you must use a crossover cable. I thought this would be the case since you are connecting directly to another system, but I thought it was a little strange that Sony would not mention something as crucial as this. I recommend using a category 6 Ethernet cable for faster transfer speeds.

Follow the Data Transfer Utility preparation instructions I modified to get me through this heartache:

PlayStation®3 System Software Version 3.15

Settings

Data transfer utility

Preparing the systems to transfer data

Before starting the data transfer operation, you must perform the following steps.

1. Update the system software of both PS3™ systems to version 3.15.

2. Prepare the PS3™ system that will send the data (the “source system”).
If multiple users exist on the source PS3™ system, you must perform the following operations for all of the users before starting the data transfer operation.

• Create a PlayStation®Network account if a user does not have an account.
    Select (PlayStation®Network) > (Sign Up for PlayStation®Network), and then follow the on-screen instructions to create an account.
  • Deactivate the PS3™ system if the data to be transferred contains content that was purchased from PlayStation®Store.
    Select (PlayStation®Network) > (Account Management) > (System Activation).
  • Activate the PS3™ destination system
  • Back up, or "sync", trophy information on the PS3™ system with the PlayStation®Network server if you want to transfer trophy information.
    Sign in to PlayStation®Network, and then select (Game) > (Trophy Collection).
  • Sign in to (PlayStation®Home) before transferring the data if you have obtained reward items for use in (PlayStation®Home) on the source system.
  • Disable the Internet Connection on both systems.

Select (Settings) > (Network Settings) > (Internet Connection)

• Disable the Media Server Connection on both systems.
       Select (Settings) > (Network Settings) > (Media Server Connection)
  • Back up your profile information and stages you created in LittleBigPlanet™ to your saved game. You can then use the data when playing LittleBigPlanet™ on the destination PS3™ system.

This worked for me and hopefully it will for you! I have highlighted what I changed in the directions so that they are apparent. One or two of the additions may be irrelevant, but I am too lazy to go back to see if that is true. My suspicions are that if you have wireless enabled and connected, your system will ignore the Ethernet interface and therefore won't recognize the connection between the two systems.

Note: Try this at your own risk! If for some reason this voids your warranty or causes your system to behave out of the normal, I am not responsible.

Enjoy your new system.

Message 14 of 74 (4,784 Views)
I Only Post Everything
976 posts

Jan 2, 2010
does neone knw if this transfer method will work for copy protected game save data as well or dos that still not work, ifit doesnt thats complete bull**bleep** my bluray drive went so if i cant transfer my data im throwin my ps3 out the window i am not starting over again thats **bleep**ing stupid to put a block like that on especially wen the system will naturally die eventually anyway.
Sony Bravia 70" LCD Full HD 1080p, Motionflow 120Hz
1000wat Sony Bravia home theatre system true 7.1 dolby digital
60 gig BC PS3 since Sept 07/2007
Original Playstation Portable owner value pack pre ordered March 03/05 frm Blckbuster
Message 15 of 74 (4,784 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1229 posts

Jan 2, 2010

VI_timmy wrote:
does neone knw if this transfer method will work for copy protected game save data as well or dos that still not work, ifit doesnt thats complete bull**bleep** my bluray drive went so if i cant transfer my data im throwin my ps3 out the window i am not starting over again thats **bleep**ing stupid to put a block like that on especially wen the system will naturally die eventually anyway.

Yes it wil.

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign
Message 16 of 74 (4,784 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
168 posts

Jan 2, 2010

eloscurosecreto wrote:

SUCCESS!

So if you have been reading my posts, most of you all are having the same issues that I am (was) having.

I gathered as much information as I could from the net and tried a few options that were specifically not listed in Sony's directions.

First off, DO NOT USE A CROSSOVER CABLE! I've seen a lot of people stating that you must use a crossover cable. I thought this would be the case since you are connecting directly to another system, but I thought it was a little strange that Sony would not mention something as crucial as this. I recommend using a category 6 Ethernet cable for faster transfer speeds.

Follow the Data Transfer Utility preparation instructions I modified to get me through this heartache:

PlayStation®3 System Software Version 3.15

Settings

Data transfer utility

Preparing the systems to transfer data

Before starting the data transfer operation, you must perform the following steps.

1. Update the system software of both PS3™ systems to version 3.15.

2. Prepare the PS3™ system that will send the data (the “source system”).
If multiple users exist on the source PS3™ system, you must perform the following operations for all of the users before starting the data transfer operation.

• Create a PlayStation®Network account if a user does not have an account.
    Select (PlayStation®Network) > (Sign Up for PlayStation®Network), and then follow the on-screen instructions to create an account.
  • Deactivate the PS3™ system if the data to be transferred contains content that was purchased from PlayStation®Store.
  • Activate the PS3™ destination system
  • Back up, or "sync", trophy information on the PS3™ system with the PlayStation®Network server if you want to transfer trophy information.
    Sign in to PlayStation®Network, and then select (Game) > (Trophy Collection).
  • Sign in to (PlayStation®Home) before transferring the data if you have obtained reward items for use in (PlayStation®Home) on the source system.
  • Disable the Internet Connection on both systems.

Select (Settings) > (Network Settings) > (Internet Connection)

• Disable the Media Server Connection on both systems.
       Select (Settings) > (Network Settings) > (Media Server Connection)
  • Back up your profile information and stages you created in LittleBigPlanet™ to your saved game. You can then use the data when playing LittleBigPlanet™ on the destination PS3™ system.

This worked for me and hopefully it will for you! I have highlighted what I changed in the directions so that they are apparent. One or two of the additions may be irrelevant, but I am too lazy to go back to see if that is true. My suspicions are that if you have wireless enabled and connected, your system will ignore the Ethernet interface and therefore won't recognize the connection between the two systems.

Note: Try this at your own risk! If for some reason this voids your warranty or causes your system to behave out of the normal, I am not responsible.

Enjoy your new system.

Thanks for posting that. I hope it helps me when I do the transfer. 

After those instructions we just follow the rest of them found here? 

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/SystemUpdates/PS3/PS3_315_update.html#data_transfer

And it should work?

penguins Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 17 of 74 (4,784 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Jan 2, 2010
Yup, after following the modified preparation steps I posted, just go through the rest of the steps Sony has provided in that link.
Message 18 of 74 (4,784 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
168 posts

Jan 2, 2010

eloscurosecreto wrote:
Yup, after following the modified preparation steps I posted, just go through the rest of the steps Sony has provided in that link.

I have two last questions. Sorry I just need to have everything perfect.

Where can I find a category 6 ethernet cable?

Did you have do anything else to make the data transfer successful other than what you posted? For example, delete everything in Game Data Utility.

Message Edited by Tuxedo_Penguin on 01-02-2010 12:01 AM

penguins Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 19 of 74 (4,784 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Jan 2, 2010

cat 6 is definitely not necessary and I'm sure it will have no actual bearing to whether or not the whole transfer will work or not. However, the transfer will be a bit faster. If you don't have any laying around your house, I wouldn't waste the time or money to buy one just for transferring your data. The time it takes you to go out and buy a cable would be more time than it would if you just used a cat5 cable.

But to answer you questions, you can pick up at cat6 cable from stores like best buy. I've seen them in Wal-Mart too.

There were no additional things I did to make the transfer a possibility for me other than what I have posted. I hope everything works out for you and others. I know I was highly upset when I bought my PS3 Slim two days ago and couldn't transfer my data.

Happy New Year!

Message 20 of 74 (4,784 Views)
0 Likes