Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
First Son
1 posts

Re: data transfer utility not working

Dec 26, 2012

I attempted the method above but was still unsuccessful at getting the Data Transfer Utility to actually work between a Slim PS3 (2nd gen) and a new Super Slim (3rd gen) PS3.  No matter what I tried, recovered, or disabled, I could not get the transfer to take place, the two PS3s would not communicate (kept getting the error saying the ethernet cable was not connected, I tried 3 different cables, each verified working).  Any additional information would be of great help. 

Please use plain text.
Message 61 of 74 (856 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 29, 2012

Thank you to all of you for the suggestions.

I have just gotten it to work. 

I have an old fat 60 gb PS3 from the olden days, and I am upgrading to a slim 250 gb one. 

I had the same problems listed above - i.e. it wouldn't detect the ethernet and it would time out.

By means of following the instructions above - I was able to get it to work. 

Specifically - disallowing internet on both PS3's; disallowing media server on both PS3s; activating the new PS3 to my account...

but then it still wasn't working - until I saw the post that said I needed to restart the machines (makes sense - but didn't think of it!).

Now, the machines are communicating, it has formatted the HD of the new machine, and it is about to transfer (it says 45 minutes to go...).

Thanks for the help. I look forward to my new faster PS3 working!

Please use plain text.
Message 62 of 74 (828 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 25, 2013

Was having all of the same problems.  Did as stated above. Worked. Thanks

Please use plain text.
Message 63 of 74 (770 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 30, 2013

I have an older 20gb PS3 and a new 250gb PS3 Slim.  I had this issues as well.  I went into the slim and enabled the wired connection and it worked the next time I attempted the transfer.

Hope this helps

Please use plain text.
Message 64 of 74 (750 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 3, 2013

I was having the same issues until I restarted both PS3s, then iT worked perfectly from there (took several hours though).

Please use plain text.
Message 65 of 74 (731 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Feb 3, 2013

eloscurosecreto wrote:

SUCCESS!

So if you have been reading my posts, most of you all are having the same issues that I am (was) having.

I gathered as much information as I could from the net and tried a few options that were specifically not listed in Sony's directions.

First off, DO NOT USE A CROSSOVER CABLE! I've seen a lot of people stating that you must use a crossover cable. I thought this would be the case since you are connecting directly to another system, but I thought it was a little strange that Sony would not mention something as crucial as this. I recommend using a category 6 Ethernet cable for faster transfer speeds.

Follow the Data Transfer Utility preparation instructions I modified to get me through this heartache:

PlayStation®3 System Software Version 3.15

Settings

Data transfer utility

Preparing the systems to transfer data

Before starting the data transfer operation, you must perform the following steps.

1. Update the system software of both PS3™ systems to version 3.15.

2. Prepare the PS3™ system that will send the data (the “source system”).
If multiple users exist on the source PS3™ system, you must perform the following operations for all of the users before starting the data transfer operation.

• Create a PlayStation®Network account if a user does not have an account.
    Select (PlayStation®Network) > (Sign Up for PlayStation®Network), and then follow the on-screen instructions to create an account.
  • Deactivate the PS3™ system if the data to be transferred contains content that was purchased from PlayStation®Store.
    Select (PlayStation®Network) > (Account Management) > (System Activation).
  • Activate the PS3™ destination system
       Select (PlayStation®Network) > (Account Management) > (System Activation).
  • Back up, or "sync", trophy information on the PS3™ system with the PlayStation®Network server if you want to transfer trophy information.
    Sign in to PlayStation®Network, and then select (Game) > (Trophy Collection).
  • Sign in to (PlayStation®Home) before transferring the data if you have obtained reward items for use in (PlayStation®Home) on the source system.
  • Disable the Internet Connection on both systems.

Select (Settings) > (Network Settings) > (Internet Connection)

• Disable the Media Server Connection on both systems.
       Select (Settings) > (Network Settings) > (Media Server Connection)
  • Back up your profile information and stages you created in LittleBigPlanet™ to your saved game. You can then use the data when playing LittleBigPlanet™ on the destination PS3™ system.

This worked for me and hopefully it will for you! I have highlighted what I changed in the directions so that they are apparent. One or two of the additions may be irrelevant, but I am too lazy to go back to see if that is true. My suspicions are that if you have wireless enabled and connected, your system will ignore the Ethernet interface and therefore won't recognize the connection between the two systems.

Note: Try this at your own risk! If for some reason this voids your warranty or causes your system to behave out of the normal, I am not responsible.

Enjoy your new system.

I don't normally post in threads though I have to up this as this is the way to go from a 1st gen PS3 to a 2nd gen PS3. Thank you very much for this as finally I got my system to transfer the data. Thank you very much and SONY put some of this information in the instructions as this is the the extra parts that needs to be done to get it to work for sure.

Please use plain text.
Message 66 of 74 (723 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 5, 2013

i tried every damned thing you people told me to do and i still cant get the data to transfer . i guess i will have to get an external hardrive

Please use plain text.
Message 67 of 74 (711 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 18, 2013

I tried everything on here as well and still no luck.  Very frustrating.

Please use plain text.
Message 68 of 74 (644 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Mar 30, 2013

i have made some progress but this still hasn't worked for me. this new god of war system might go flying.

Please use plain text.
Message 69 of 74 (613 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 31, 2013

Hello All,

Even though this thread is an old enquiry abour issue of DATA TRANSFER UTILITY getting failed, I would like to provide a working solution for all who are still facing this issue. Follow the steps below as it is, and it works perfectly.

(1) Get the network cable provided by Sony when you purchased your PS3 (or a STRAIGHT RJ45 CAT5 network cable from any shop). CAT5e or CAT6 will not work so dont try them. Even if it works it will fail in between the transfers.

(2) Make sure both PS3 are on the same FIRMWARE level. If not DATA TRANSFER UTILITY will fail for sure.

(3) SYNC your trophies for each user (as TROPHIES wont get synced using DATA TRANSFER UTILITY).

(4) DEACTIVATE your current working PS3's  VIDEO and GAME accounts using your USER MANAGEMENT option.  If this is not done then DATA TRANSFER UTILITY will not function. You can ACTIVATE them back in your new PS3 once DATA TRANSFER in completed. If DATA TRANSFER UTILITY fails and you want these settings activated back again in the same current working PS3 then it is possible to do it.

(5) In the new PS3 (where you want to get your data transfered to) , use PS3 restore option from your SYSTEM settings. Use QUICK format. Once format and system restore completes successfully, PS3 restarts automatically.

(6) Once restarted, select your country, region, date and time settings. DONT SET ANY NETWORK / INTERNET settings. Use CANCEL to come out of NETWORK settings and opt for setting it later. If you select any of these NETWORK options and set them in the initital stage, then your DATA TRANSFER UTILITY will fail to function.

(7) Connect your network cable (RJ45 straight CAT5) and then select DATA TRANSFER UTILITY in your current working one and take option 1 to transfer to another PS3.

(8) Connect your TV to see your new formatted PS3 and then select DATA TRANSFER UTILITY and take option 2 to transfer from another PS3. THATS IT!!  WAIT PATIENTLY for some time and then it will ask you to FORMAT your new PS3 once again.. Select OK or YES accordingly and then wait until everything finishes successfully.

Once DATA transfer is complete, it will restart PS3. Then activate your GAME and VIDEO option in the newly transferred PS3 after logging into PSN using your login name and password and use ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT once logged in.

ALL DONE!! Any questions or queries about PS3 issues which you cant get any proper answers, please feel free to write to me: sureshpillai@yahoo.com 

Mention PS3 problem / issue in your email SUBJECT so that I can answer your queries first. ALL THE BEST !!

Please use plain text.
Message 70 of 74 (607 Views)
0 Likes