Oct 15 2009
By: chicago1111 First Son 28 posts

converting HDMI toDVI

14 replies 29 views Edited Oct 15, 2009

Hey all.  i have seen a lot of posts going around about this topic, and all very helpful.  here is a new one for ya though..  i have the picture working great, but no sound(which seems to be the common trouble)...   Now here is what i am working with.  I have a Dell 198WFP, and it has no speakers attached.  T here is also no room for any a/v jacks int he back of the monitor, so what i use for sound when i am just on my PC internet or whatever is a small set of desktop speakers...  Any chance anyone knows if i can get that to work for sound with my PS3?

Thanks !

Message 1 of 15 (29 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Re: converting HDMI toDVI

Oct 15, 2009

chicago1111 wrote:

Hey all.  i have seen a lot of posts going around about this topic, and all very helpful.  here is a new one for ya though..  i have the picture working great, but no sound(which seems to be the common trouble)...   Now here is what i am working with.  I have a Dell 198WFP, and it has no speakers attached.  T here is also no room for any a/v jacks int he back of the monitor, so what i use for sound when i am just on my PC internet or whatever is a small set of desktop speakers...  Any chance anyone knows if i can get that to work for sound with my PS3?

Thanks !

Yeah, your PS3 came with an A/V cable, it has 3 plugs: red, white, and yellow.  The yellow is for video, so you don't need that one.  But the white and red plugs are for sound.

You can tell the PS3 to send sound out through that cable (and leave the video going out through your  HDMI cable). Then, you just need to find the appropriate adapters to connect the PS3's A/V cable to your PC or your desktop speakers.

Usually an RCA to Stereo plug will work.  To connect the PS3 to a set of desktop speakers, you'd need a Y cable with 2 female RCA  plugs and one female stereo plug.  The PS3's red and white plugs would plug into the RCA ends, and the desktop speakers would plug into the stereo end.

Message 2 of 15 (29 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
28 posts

Oct 15, 2009

Man i must be technically challenged..  Reading that is extremmely foreign.  There must be an easier way no?

Thanks for the reply tho.. appreicate it

Message 3 of 15 (29 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
28 posts

Oct 15, 2009
also is there  a specific name/brand type to look for so i dont pickup the wrong one?
Message 4 of 15 (29 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
46 posts

Oct 15, 2009

First off I want to say, "What's up? I'm in Chicago also."

Second, when I hook my ps3 to a lcd projector I use the rca (red,white, yellow) cables to an upconverter.  The upconverter, by AVTool, I think, XGAwesome Universal Upconverter, will take that sigal and output to VGA.  Then my VGA cable on the projector end has a VGA/DVI adapter. 

As to the sound, the upconveter has a mini-jack out that I hook up to computer speakers.  If I'm real creative I'll spilt that sound and use four computer  (two pairs) speakers.  Try to make a poor man's surround sound.

At this point, I kinda forgot what exactly you were asking.  Hope this helps.  I'm not sure if you can project in hd.  Not saying it can not be done.  I just dont do it that way.

L-

Message 5 of 15 (29 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Oct 15, 2009

chicago1111 wrote:

Man i must be technically challenged..  Reading that is extremmely foreign.  There must be an easier way no?

Thanks for the reply tho.. appreicate it

I thought that was as simple as it gets....

You need an adapter like this:

You plug the cable that came with your PS3 (red, yellow, white) into it.  You put the Red and White into the "Back" on the image.  Then, you take your desktop speakers and plug them into the "Front" on the image.

Then, you go into your PS3 Settings.  You want to change the sound output settings to the PS3's A/V Cable.

Message 6 of 15 (29 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
28 posts

Oct 15, 2009

I actually live in NY,  just a die hard Bears fan is all

My speakers are really, really old... i  have no idea what to cable/adapters to use when trying to connect my two desktop speakers to my PS3.  I mean these speakers are really old.

Message 7 of 15 (29 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
28 posts

Oct 15, 2009
Solar that is perfect.. Now we are talking. . not saying your first post wasnt easy to understand, just not so for me..  NOw my last question is with the converter i need to look for female to female right?  anything specific its called?  thanks for the quick responses all
Message 8 of 15 (29 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
46 posts

Oct 15, 2009

Solar, has the right idea with that pic.  That's all you really need.  But if you go that route I think you have to play in standard def.  No using the hdmi, you'll have to go with the rca cables that came with the ps3.

I think....

Message 9 of 15 (29 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
28 posts

Oct 15, 2009
i thought i read somewhere you can still have the HDMI, but just use regular sounds.  under one of the setting on the PS3 menu??
Message 10 of 15 (29 Views)
0 Likes