Jul 13 2012
By: Wobblekok First Son 1 posts

coincidence?

3 replies 63 views Edited Jul 13, 2012

After downloading the 4.2 update onto my old fat, my file system became irrevocably corrupted and now I can't play anything from disc -- and this all happened in under 10 minutes of the install. After looking on the net, I discovered a lot of folks are also suffering from this very suspect coincidence. Coincidences are usually just coincidences, but this many? Do I really have to switch to XBOX (a system which never has this stuff happen and which doesn't shut down once a month for "maintenance") to keep my sanity?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 4 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6342 posts

Re: coincidence?

[ Edited ]
Jul 13, 2012

Wobblekok wrote:

After downloading the 4.2 update onto my old fat, my file system became irrevocably corrupted and now I can't play anything from disc -- and this all happened in under 10 minutes of the install. After looking on the net, I discovered a lot of folks are also suffering from this very suspect coincidence. Coincidences are usually just coincidences, but this many? Do I really have to switch to XBOX (a system which never has this stuff happen and which doesn't shut down once a month for "maintenance") to keep my sanity?

They(xbox) have there said problems too ..  screaming xbox is problem free is not the best answer. Nothing IS 100% safe or going to last for every there will  be problems.

Your best bet is to call sony..let them know the issue.. things might work in your favor in getting another console at little or no  cost..  bad things happen to good people.   Dont take it personal there is  good help out there and patience will prevail over anger in every  problem that arise.

GIve sony a  chime right here onthe forum knoweldeg center/support and bottom of this very page and give them a call. :smileyhappy:

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 4 (55 Views)
VP of Gaming
27916 posts

Jul 13, 2012

Basically yes, this is a coincidence, although you're right to say that there have been others with the same or similar issues the percentage is still very very low in comparison to those that have successfully installed the update.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 4 (47 Views)
PlayStation MVP
14994 posts

Jul 15, 2012

Did you do the update via the internet method? Were you wired or wireless?

Have you tried reperforming the update by doing the USB method through safe mode, having downloaded the update from here? http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/index.htm 

You can continue to reinstall the firmware update through other means until it is successful. Otherwise it may be an issue with your hdd that may be causing this coincidence, because it is infact a coincidence.

This happens every time people update to new firmware, it is HARDLY something Sony has done purposefully.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 4 (33 Views)
0 Likes