Apr 14 2008
By: dragonflyr First Son 15 posts
Accepted Solution

clone old PS3 hard drive to new hard drive

97 replies 28012 views Edited Apr 14, 2008

I want to slap a new 160 gig drive in my PS3.

Has anyone used hard drive cloning tools (ghost, drive image, etc) to make an EXACT duplicate of the old drive to the new drive? I do this all the time at work and am very familiar with the various "levels" of imaging/duplication. I would think a true, bit for bit, sector by sector clone would work .. but I'd like to know if someone has actually done it. In addition to various software solutions, I have a hardware cloning device that is used to create forensic (exact) clones of hard drives. 

So, anyway ... has anyone done a complete, EXACT, sector by sector image of their old PS3 hard drive to a new, larger (already formatted Fat32) PS3 hard drive?

Does the PS3 just "take off running" with the new drive or does it still try to force a format?

Thanks in advance for any experiences!!

Rick 

Message 1 of 98 (28,012 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4658 posts

Re: clone old PS3 hard drive to new hard drive

Apr 14, 2008
I haven't seen anyone try this (and the internal drive isn't FAT32).  You can try, but I doubt it will trick the PS3 DRM.
Message 2 of 98 (28,012 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Apr 14, 2008

ok ... may bad on the internal drive being FAT32 ... i just assumed that it was the same formatting as the external. i'll make sure i format it correctly.

i'm going to try an "Image Disk" option clone with Ghost  and see if it works (that does a sector by sector clone plus all boot track, boot sector and ell extended partitions). I just don't feel like copying all pics, music, and vids out to an enclosure and then pulling back in to the internal drive.

anyway ... i'll post my findings. also open to hearing others ...

thanks...

Message 3 of 98 (28,012 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3139 posts

Apr 14, 2008
yeah, post when it is done. i am actually very interested in the matter.
Message 4 of 98 (28,012 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1580 posts

Apr 14, 2008

dragonflyr92 wrote:

I want to slap a new 160 gig drive in my PS3.

Has anyone used hard drive cloning tools (ghost, drive image, etc) to make an EXACT duplicate of the old drive to the new drive? I do this all the time at work and am very familiar with the various "levels" of imaging/duplication. I would think a true, bit for bit, sector by sector clone would work .. but I'd like to know if someone has actually done it. In addition to various software solutions, I have a hardware cloning device that is used to create forensic (exact) clones of hard drives. 

So, anyway ... has anyone done a complete, EXACT, sector by sector image of their old PS3 hard drive to a new, larger (already formatted Fat32) PS3 hard drive?

Does the PS3 just "take off running" with the new drive or does it still try to force a format?

Thanks in advance for any experiences!!

Rick 

the already have that Optiion all u need is a EXT HDD thats formated in either Fat or Fat32 (FAT32 Rec) and there is a option under system setting to back up ur PS3 HDD it clones the PS3 HDD and copy everything, cuz when i did this on my WD 500GB HDD, it copy almost the entire 50GB i had on my 60GB system.  yes my system has 50GB full of crap.
Message 5 of 98 (28,012 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Apr 14, 2008

Internet Sharing ... are you saying that there is an option to do this BUILT INTO the PS3?  meaning; you took a new drive, put it in an enclosure, connected it to one of the usb ports, and then selected an option from within the PS3 to "clone" or COMPLETELY backup your internal drive?? then you took your 500 gig new drive outta the exclosure and slapped it IN TO the PS3 and it booted perfectly, without the PS3 asking to format cuz it was a new system drive??

If that is the case ... i've completely overlooked that option and have not heard of it before (and all those people who are doing manual data transfers are wasting a lot of effort).

please advise .... thanks.

Message 6 of 98 (28,012 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
13458 posts

Apr 14, 2008

Doubt it's going to work because it wont copy the disks format.

So when you place the gosted drive into the PS3 it's going to prompt you to format it.

Message 7 of 98 (28,012 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4658 posts

Apr 14, 2008

dragonflyr92 wrote:

Internet Sharing ... are you saying that there is an option to do this BUILT INTO the PS3?  meaning; you took a new drive, put it in an enclosure, connected it to one of the usb ports, and then selected an option from within the PS3 to "clone" or COMPLETELY backup your internal drive?? then you took your 500 gig new drive outta the exclosure and slapped it IN TO the PS3 and it booted perfectly, without the PS3 asking to format cuz it was a new system drive??

If that is the case ... i've completely overlooked that option and have not heard of it before (and all those people who are doing manual data transfers are wasting a lot of effort).

please advise .... thanks.

No, Internet Sharing is talking about the backup utility, which makes compressed encoded files on an external drive which contain the internal drive's info.  This is not a disk image.
Message 8 of 98 (28,012 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
13458 posts

Apr 14, 2008

dragonflyr92 wrote:

No.
You can only do a backup to an external drive, but that data must be restored to the system, you cannot simply insert the drive with the backup and have it work.
The problem again is in the difference in formatting.
To do a backup to an external drive it has to be FAT32, and the system will prompt to format that drive once it is inserted into the Playstation.

Message 9 of 98 (28,012 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Apr 14, 2008

Sounds like Internet Sharing is talking about the built-in backup feature.  Which is your best bet, anyway.

I doubt the bit-for-bit copy would work.  Maybe the PS3 reads a serial number as part of its pairing process with a harddrive, so that right away will stop you cold.

Then, if the PS3 does ignore serial number, and what about size?  It's using an 80 gig?  and then suddenly it has 160?  I think it would complain there as well.

Give it a shot, couldn't hurt anything, as long as you do not choose to format the 160 when the PS3 prompts you, because then you'd lose your original drive as well.

Message 10 of 98 (28,012 Views)
0 Likes