Sackboy
561 posts

Re: can the vita run the kindle app ?

Mar 28, 2012

I will throw in with BurgSteve here. I have used all three of the main ereaders (Nook, Kindle, and iBook) and find with out exception for ease of use, store interactions and general look and feel the iBook app stands out. In addition to the textbook store, iBook is also a PDF reader. My cars' manual, the manual for the light board I use at work, and my employee handbook are all on there for easy referance.

I think Apple and Sony need to sit down and have a real talk about this as they both would profit from this endeavor. I have 100's of books and PDF's loaded on my phone and my iPad, but to be able to use my Vita to hold books as well would be great.

Alacrity

AlacrityFitz Trophy Card
Message 11 of 22 (80 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
193 posts

Mar 28, 2012

It's a nice idea BUT Apple is sooooooo proprietary.

Besides, I don't see them sharing anything with a competitor, especially when they sell millions of iPods, iPads and iPhones daily that (in a way) compete with the Vita amongst casual gamers and folks interested in the other apps (eReaders, web browser, youtube, face book etc.)

Message 12 of 22 (80 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10901 posts

Mar 28, 2012

That's all true, except that Amazon put (free) Kindle Apps out for iOS, Android, Mac and PC.  iPad is more a direct competitor for the Kindle than it is the Vita, too.

Still, I don't see iBooks happening on any non-Apple device.

Message 13 of 22 (80 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11690 posts

Mar 28, 2012

Kiyera wrote:

on nov 15 i am planning on getting the new kindle fire, a e-reader that also doubles as a tablet .. pretty nice looking system. what i what to know is can the vita run a kindle app and different tablet apps like solitaire, fruit ninja and angry birds ?   youtube videos would also be very cool to watch.  i would rather have just 1 device that can do what i need and since my vita is pre-ordered and paid off i am hoping i wont need the kindle fire ...... does anyone have any info to help me ?   the tablet features i need are some web browsing, mini games, tv guide, minor youtube watching , email, facebook  and an ereader the basic stuff.  i am not looking to clone my desktop or all the other candy that an ipad can do.  

first and formost vita does not run a android powered os... 

so you wont be able to run any android apps on the vita..

>

Message 14 of 22 (80 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Mar 29, 2012

people i started this thread on oct 19 2011... let me give u my update ...

i bought the kindle fire and i love it, it does alot more then i expected and i use it everyday.   my paid off pre-order of the vita well i canceled it when i found out about the bull crap sony did to prevent piracy  ... not that i am a hacker or even want to rip them off but because in my line off work i am very hard on my handhelds and tend to need to replace them every 5-6 months. finding out that the memory cards and game cards can only be used on the vita they are initially used on totally made it illogical for me to buy a vita.... why buy vita and 3-4 games when in 6 months do to unit replacement i will have to repurchase all those games again and start the games over ....no sorry not for me and yes i am on psp number 4 and i have lost count of the number of nintendo's i have killed, but those don't bother so much becuase the memory stick and games can move to a new psp.

to be honest i like and enjoy my ps3 and my psp and am not dis-ing sony the only thing stopping me from enjoying a vita is the fact that when i have to buy a new one my memeory cards and games won't work on it.

Message 15 of 22 (80 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
291 posts

Mar 29, 2012

Wow - you really do go through handhelds fast if you're looking at replacing one after 6 months!

I have played a bit on a family member's Kindle Fire. Not a bad little machine, especially for the price. Hope you are enjoying it.

The only drawbacks I saw to it was that it didn't have a camera of any kind, and it had such limited storage space. Nice screen, responsive to touch (very similar feel to Apple screens in that regard), and was pretty simple to navigate and use.

I think they need to make a reasonably affordable add on for it with some buttons and sticks (kind of like the iCade for iOS). That would really help it a lot to get in the hands of more people who are hesitant about touch only controls, and would give owners more options for gameplay.

The Vita is great, and I love mine, but I can certainly understand why you chose what you did.

For all of the great things about the Vita, the prices are too steep on memory cards, there still aren't a lot of games out for it yet, and the limitations (supposedly for security) are definitely some drawbacks to it for me.

Message 16 of 22 (80 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10901 posts

Mar 29, 2012

You've got that partially right.  Memory cards are encoded for only the system that formatted them (much like hard drives on a PS3).  The content on those memory cards is attached to the account that created/downloaded it.  Back up the data, and you can restore it to any Vita that is registered on your account.

Game cards are initialized with the ACCOUNT that first activates them.  They can be played on any Vita registered with that PSN account.

Message 17 of 22 (80 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
193 posts

Mar 29, 2012

How can any of that be? How can GameStop sell used Vita games (which they do?) If someone else has installed it, then wouldn't it only work in Vita's under the same account?

Message 18 of 22 (80 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10901 posts

Mar 29, 2012

When you buy a used game and get a pop up stating that the game is registered to another user, just restore it to factory settings by deleting it from the live area.  Then let it reinstall.

Message 19 of 22 (80 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
193 posts

Mar 29, 2012

Thanks for the info!

Message 20 of 22 (80 Views)
0 Likes