Highlighted
Oct 19 2011
By: Kiyera First Son 11 posts

can the vita run the kindle app ?

21 replies 2234 views Edited Oct 19, 2011

on nov 15 i am planning on getting the new kindle fire, a e-reader that also doubles as a tablet .. pretty nice looking system. what i what to know is can the vita run a kindle app and different tablet apps like solitaire, fruit ninja and angry birds ?   youtube videos would also be very cool to watch.  i would rather have just 1 device that can do what i need and since my vita is pre-ordered and paid off i am hoping i wont need the kindle fire ...... does anyone have any info to help me ?   the tablet features i need are some web browsing, mini games, tv guide, minor youtube watching , email, facebook  and an ereader the basic stuff.  i am not looking to clone my desktop or all the other candy that an ipad can do.   

Message 1 of 22 (2,234 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Re: can the vita run the kindle app ?

Oct 19, 2011

Kiyera wrote:

on nov 15 i am planning on getting the new kindle fire, a e-reader that also doubles as a tablet .. pretty nice looking system. what i what to know is can the vita run a kindle app and different tablet apps like solitaire, fruit ninja and angry birds ?   youtube videos would also be very cool to watch.  i would rather have just 1 device that can do what i need and since my vita is pre-ordered and paid off i am hoping i wont need the kindle fire ...... does anyone have any info to help me ?   the tablet features i need are some web browsing, mini games, tv guide, minor youtube watching , email, facebook  and an ereader the basic stuff.  i am not looking to clone my desktop or all the other candy that an ipad can do.  

Nobody knows the extent of the software capabilities yet (except maybe Sony). So we do not know what apps will be available to install. However I can tell you that there is a web browser, mini games are available from the PSN (some are ipod and android ports, Angrybirds is there and there are some solitaire games), facebook is supported.

Message 2 of 22 (2,234 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Oct 19, 2011

my guess is that it will. if the ps vita is competing w/the handheld market (which technically includes phone/tablets) then it is ALMOST neccessary to implement a "app" section in the play station store (when i say"app" i mean like the app store from itunes).

Message 3 of 22 (2,234 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7400 posts

Oct 19, 2011

saw_I_forget wrote:

my guess is that it will. if the ps vita is competing w/the handheld market (which technically includes phone/tablets) then it is ALMOST neccessary to implement a "app" section in the play station store (when i say"app" i mean like the app store from itunes).

something like playstation suite you mean ?

Message 4 of 22 (2,234 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13618 posts

Oct 19, 2011

remanutd5 wrote:

saw_I_forget wrote:

They said the Vita will "supersede" PS Suite.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 5 of 22 (2,234 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Oct 19, 2011

remanutd5 wrote:

saw_I_forget wrote:

The Playstation suite is to allow Android OS devices (and eventually PCs) to play PSOne games on them (If they are PS certified).

What 'saw_I_forget' is talking about is that he expectn Sony to release apps for the PSVita (which is not Android) in a special 'App' part of the PSN store.

As I mentioned there have been no indications that this is the way Sony is going with the PSVita, but alot of people would like it.

Message 6 of 22 (2,234 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7400 posts

Oct 19, 2011

CaptainHuggyface wrote:

remanutd5 wrote:

saw_I_forget wrote:

The Playstation suite is to allow Android OS devices (and eventually PCs) to play PSOne games on them (If they are PS certified).

What 'saw_I_forget' is talking about is that he expectn Sony to release apps for the PSVita (which is not Android) in a special 'App' part of the PSN store.

As I mentioned there have been no indications that this is the way Sony is going with the PSVita, but alot of people would like it.

ahh ok , well hopefully they'd do that

Message 7 of 22 (2,234 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 28, 2012

This is a great idea guys and gals, allowing the PS Vita to have an e reader app will be very competitive. Not only wil itl play games, internet and such, but it can also promote reading in children as well as adults. I know i would love to have another choice like that in the Vita.

Message 8 of 22 (2,234 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Mar 28, 2012

I think an eReader would be an excellent app idea for the Vita.

Message 9 of 22 (2,234 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11016 posts

Mar 28, 2012

At this point I will have to admit that the iBooks ereader on iPad is probably the best ereader on the market, considering it now has a college bookstore (where you can get many college textbooks in ereader format, complete with interactive content), as well as a mode that allows many children's books to be read by the iPad (and not with a generic digital voice) and pages turned automatically.

That being said, I would really like an ereader on the Vita.  It is much less bulky than an iPad, and has a larger, more comfortable screen than an iPhone.  The Vita would be a little awkward to hold in portrait mode to read, though.  Turning pages using the rear touchpad would be cool.

Message 10 of 22 (2,234 Views)
0 Likes