Reply
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 03/29/2003
Online
15737 posts
 

Re: broken PS4s

Nov 14, 2013

We will know for sure, after launch. Until then, don't worry about it. Just hope your launch system will work.

Multisystem owner. PlayStation owner since 2000. Inaugural PS Plus member:Legendary status. Former PS forum MVP with a launch PS3 & PS4.

Message 11 of 32 (924 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 11/10/2005
Offline
1573 posts
 

Re: broken PS4s

Nov 14, 2013

xLord-Slothx wrote:

The guy that was streaming on twitch actually fixed his. Removeed harddrive. Booted without in safe mode. installed harddrive. Booted into safe mode and everything worked fine after firmware install. I guess he currupted his harddrive after unplugging the console when his update froze. There is a reason why it says to not turn off your console/and or computer while you are using your harddrive.


Gladly i have the software update installed on a Usb stick ready to go.. I am going to install the software update after i setup the PS4 for the first time.. 

Message 12 of 32 (784 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 05/23/2007
Offline
2414 posts
 

Re: broken PS4s

Nov 14, 2013

glasscut wrote:

xLord-Slothx wrote:

The guy that was streaming on twitch actually fixed his. Removeed harddrive. Booted without in safe mode. installed harddrive. Booted into safe mode and everything worked fine after firmware install. I guess he currupted his harddrive after unplugging the console when his update froze. There is a reason why it says to not turn off your console/and or computer while you are using your harddrive.


Gladly i have the software update installed on a Usb stick ready to go.. I am going to install the software update after i setup the PS4 for the first time.. 


I would actually urge caution before installing the 1.5 patch, as it appears that Aragon and IGN both suffered their failures during or after installation of the 1.5 patch.  I'd wait for Sony to figure out, or at least respond to the issue.

Insert more politically correct signature here


Message 13 of 32 (580 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 06/15/2013
Offline
377 posts
 

Re: broken PS4s

Nov 14, 2013
Have a feeling it's the same issue that happened with the ps3 when our ps3 got bricked due to the software update. See it happened to me. And my ps3 screen turned black with no video signal after booting the system up. Just like ps4 issue right now.. How did I fix the issue is. Replace the the hdd with an new one or old one around that you can use. And your signal will come back. Same exact thing happens to me and fixed the issue by replacing the hdd with a fresh one. Maybe the ps4 can by pass this doing that too.
Message 14 of 32 (566 Views)
Sackboy
Registered: 05/08/2009
Offline
572 posts
 

Re: broken PS4s

Nov 14, 2013

I hope it was only a few ps4's that broke and that ours dont have any problems. Greatness Awaits!!!

Message 15 of 32 (558 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 05/23/2007
Offline
2414 posts
 

Re: broken PS4s

Nov 14, 2013

Sane714 wrote:
Have a feeling it's the same issue that happened with the ps3 when our ps3 got bricked due to the software update. See it happened to me. And my ps3 screen turned black with no video signal after booting the system up. Just like ps4 issue right now.. How did I fix the issue is. Replace the the hdd with an new one or old one around that you can use. And your signal will come back. Same exact thing happens to me and fixed the issue by replacing the hdd with a fresh one. Maybe the ps4 can by pass this doing that too.

From what I understand, you can also just remove the HDD and turn the PS4 on which will put it in Safe Mode.  Turn the console off again, plug the HDD back in, and boot the console again.  It'll boot into safe mode where you can recover the necessary OS Data.  It'll then reboot back into the OS.

Insert more politically correct signature here


Message 16 of 32 (557 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 12/09/2009
Offline
280 posts
 

Re: broken PS4s

Nov 14, 2013

I do notice all the fanboys are literally silent right now, kind of makes the site more welcoming.

Message 17 of 32 (525 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 06/14/2009
Offline
14231 posts
 

Re: broken PS4s

Nov 14, 2013

I'll believe the twitch guy.

 

IGN though. I don't believe their console failed. They probably don't know how to use it like they don't know how to do many other things.



Message 18 of 32 (482 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Big Daddy
Registered: 12/24/2007
Offline
16918 posts
 

Re: broken PS4s

Nov 14, 2013

honkayjeezus wrote:

I do notice all the fanboys are literally silent right now, kind of makes the site more welcoming.


Its 3am Central.... almost everyone is asleep because they either have school or work in the morning....

Logic is hard to come by for you isn't it?

Furiously Chaosing
Message 19 of 32 (471 Views)
Big Daddy
Registered: 12/24/2007
Offline
16918 posts
 

Re: broken PS4s

Nov 14, 2013

I've seen a few people with these issues, even some video about it.


It seems to be related to an HDMI handshake issue from the ones I've seen. I heard about the Twitch streamer but I didn't watch that. I did hear he fixed it and its working normally.


I've also heard a few winners of the Taco Bell promotion are having the same issue as well.

Maybe the Twitch streamer is onto something with regard to the hdd. Anyone with an early PS4 care to experiement? Nothing to lose since you're filing a warranty claim anyway.

This would suck if it has a high rate of defectiveness on launch. But hey..... this is what happens when the majority of your demo units are not tested real world. 

 

At least now, Sony can see the TRUE test when millions of consoles hit the wild. 


Not to bring up OLD news.... but even the PS3's YLOD and dead BD-ROM's, while there was plenty of failures and defectiveness, still wasn't at a high enough failure rate to actually be a "problem". PS3's failure rate was 10% after year 3, and thats WELL BELOW industry standards of acceptable margin of error.

So even if 10% of US PS4's have this issue.... its nothing to be alarmed at.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 20 of 32 (453 Views)
Reply
0 Likes