Message 1 of 23 (388 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4373 posts

Re: bring back folding at home

Nov 6, 2012

zpqmalr wrote:

bring back folding at home.

Talk to the University that was running it.  They are the ones that had it discontinued.

Be One With The Game.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 23 (378 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5351 posts

Nov 6, 2012

zpqmalr wrote:

I agree. Sony should bring back. "Life With Playstation". If you log into "Life With Playstation" now, you will get an update that kills "Life With Playstation". But the XMB still has the "Life With Playstation" icon as a sad reminder of what we used to have.

158751955584925480_TKs7aT3W_c.jpg

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 23 (377 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Nov 6, 2012

The University didn't end support.  SONY decided to stop the application support.

Directly from Folding@home's site: 

Since 2007, Sony Computer Entertainment has offered an environment for distributed computing through Folding@Home application. With the termination of the services available through the Life with PlayStation(R) application, our support towards Folding@Home has concluded on November 6th, 2012.  Sony Computer Entertainment appreciates your support

Personally I'm **bleep** off at SONY.  I've purchased 6 ps3 exclusivly for folding with and was planning on expanding by another 6 systems.   I want to know why they decided to stop supporting the application, and WHY they didnt feel the need to let us consumers know about their decision to stop the life with playstation application.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 23 (366 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4373 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 6, 2012

Demented007 wrote:

The University didn't end support.  SONY decided to stop the application support.

Directly from Folding@home's site: 

Since 2007, Sony Computer Entertainment has offered an environment for distributed computing through Folding@Home application. With the termination of the services available through the Life with PlayStation(R) application, our support towards Folding@Home has concluded on November 6th, 2012.  Sony Computer Entertainment appreciates your support

Personally I'm **bleep** off at SONY.  I've purchased 6 ps3 exclusivly for folding with and was planning on expanding by another 6 systems.   I want to know why they decided to stop supporting the application, and WHY they didnt feel the need to let us consumers know about their decision to stop the life with playstation application.

Directly from the PlayStation blog.

"Considering the contribution PS3 has made to the project, we decided to retire it as a result of discussions with Stanford University."

Stanford wanted out.

Don't blame Sony.

Be One With The Game.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 23 (362 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7500 posts

Nov 6, 2012
Proteins become more complex over time.

From what I read, The reason the PS3 had 8 hour Work Units is because the comparatively tiny proteins that are being simulated. Over time, all the "easy" proteins were used up and now Stanford is now focusing all folding to GPUs. GPUs have a lot more RAM and folding power to fold all those larger proteins.

Folding Cores are retired over time as the project progresses as the returns diminish or coding improves to reasonably retire a redundant core. The GPU1 Core (for some AMD and ATI graphics cards), the AMBER and Quantum MD Cores were retired and no longer supported.

TL;DR: Want to fold? Get a GPU to fold them. GPUs can fold more complex proteins than the PS3 could.

Sources:
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-PS3
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-ATI2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding@home
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-AMBER
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-QMD
FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice: 16SVoaaAfWtywpQ9GDqqzfoyGvt21XCB6M
Dogecoin is nice too: DU6DPv41zfqbSwvFz8LKYhVcgLsX85B3My
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 23 (345 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2597 posts

Nov 6, 2012

Well that's up to Standford to bring it back, not Sony. But really, with passing time this was going to happen because eventually the processing they require is not enough anymore. Just be happen that you could have done such a thing in the first place. Cheer up though! It might return in the next PlayStation.

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 23 (340 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14994 posts

Nov 6, 2012

you do know that you still Fold using their PC program right?..... its not specific to PS3.....

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 23 (325 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9997 posts

Nov 7, 2012

zpqmalr wrote:

look a magic trick

click here to Fold@home

ta da!

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 23 (316 Views)
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 7, 2012
It is awfully strange that a 20MB+ download is needed to shut down F@H, and called an "update". I think Sony could have just pruned off F@H, and still kept the other channels in Life with PlayStation...
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 23 (313 Views)