Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 10 2012
By: suzuki_kyle First Son 5 posts

been researching for hours (ps3 wont start) please take a look

[ Edited ]
6 replies 171 views Edited Jul 10, 2012

I have a 40 gb  2007 big fat model that wont start. I have never had a red light that ever came on to tell me there is power to my ps3 so maybe it doesn't exist or it is burned out. That means I don't know if it is ylod or not. So when I go to power on the ps3 the hard drives spins and the fan starts to kick on then it beeps 3 times and shuts off (no red light). I have tried the fan test and it does work and the playstation even spit the movie that was in it out. No start up screen present. After many hours of researching I have come up with the idea that it could be my power supply? Not sure. I also have everything to do a ylod fix but I don't want to take everything apart if it isn't a ylod problem. And yes I do know how to use the search function, just nothing that I have run across seems to be quite the same as my issue. Any ideas? 

Thanks for helping!

kyle

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (171 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Re: been researching for hours (ps3 wont start) please take a look

Jul 10, 2012

crickets...........

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (150 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jul 10, 2012

thank you all for the help. i decided to go with the reflow.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (147 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8171 posts

Jul 11, 2012

It's hard to say exactly. When my 80gb (fat) model PS3 died it would power up, beep 3 times and flash a red then yellow light before shutting off. Your issue is obviously different and honestly there's no way to tell without opening the system to check for obvious problems like the CPU separating from the motherboard, cracked or loose sodder, etc. 

The reflow method from what I've read is at best a temporary fix. I would suggest getting a slim or modding your PS3 (after it's repaired) with the better internal fan. There's an old thread in here about just that. If nothing else it could help prolong the life of it. Heat kills. 

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (134 Views)
PlayStation MVP
47891 posts

Jul 11, 2012

suzuki_kyle wrote:

I have a 40 gb  2007 big fat model that wont start. I have never had a red light that ever came on to tell me there is power to my ps3 so maybe it doesn't exist or it is burned out. That means I don't know if it is ylod or not. So when I go to power on the ps3 the hard drives spins and the fan starts to kick on then it beeps 3 times and shuts off (no red light). I have tried the fan test and it does work and the playstation even spit the movie that was in it out. No start up screen present. After many hours of researching I have come up with the idea that it could be my power supply? Not sure. I also have everything to do a ylod fix but I don't want to take everything apart if it isn't a ylod problem. And yes I do know how to use the search function, just nothing that I have run across seems to be quite the same as my issue. Any ideas? 

Thanks for helping!

kyle

Sorry i'm late but that does sound exactly like either the YLOD or the blinking red light of overheating kicking in.   I know you have no indicator to tell.

I would send it into sony for a repair, its $150.00 but at least you know it is done right.

I hope you backed up all your game saves and data! 

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (128 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jul 11, 2012

thank you for the comments. i did do the reflow and i do understand that it is only temporary. it was ylod because it is working right now. as soon as it dies again i will probably go ahead and send it to sony or another professional shop that i know can do it right. thanks again for the replies tho on a second note how do i back up all of my stuff. its not like i have alot anyway as i end up playing mostly warhawk and watching netflix. i guess it would suck to lose all of my saved data from assasins creed though.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (119 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jul 11, 2012
I strongly suggest you don't send it into Sony, not only do they always erase your hard drive but their repairs on older models don't last very long. I suggest you have a place like Gophermods or Endless Electronics do the repair for you, plus they both offer a much better warranty on the repair than Sony will offer you...
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (114 Views)
0 Likes