Fender Bender
3067 posts

Re: banned from playstation network

Feb 16, 2010
I do feel bad for you, but not bad enough to say Sony is doing anything wrong. There is absolutely no way for you to prove you are not the person that got the ps3 banned. You learned a valuable lesson though, buying a used system from a place like craigslist or ebay is not a very safe option. Would you expect sony to fix your system for free if you bought it off craigslist and it didn't work? The only option you have is to trade it in to gamestop for a slim, you still lose out, but at least it wont be a complete loss.
Message 31 of 54 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2886 posts

Feb 16, 2010

T1ck_T0ck wrote:

IllinoisNukee wrote:

T1ck_T0ck wrote:

Da-GObLiN_21 wrote:

Whetzel wrote:

jkry_2_1_ wrote:
make a new account.

I'm sure it's a console ban and not a user account ban.

What are the chances of someone buying a used PS3 and using the exact same user name as the previous owner?

I could be wrong, but that's my 2 cents.

They banned the Mac address which means it doesnt matter what user id is used.

MAC Address is Layer 2 and is updated in the Header several times along the way, that cannot be how the ban is preformed.

As far as I know, only the IP changes in a header, MAC never changes. Even if it did, it could rely on a multitude of other ways to get the systems MAC address.

Message Edited by IllinoisNukee on 02-15-2010 04:10 PM

The MAC in the header will be from the BR

As in router? NAT only changes the IP and port used. It doesn't touch the MAC.

Message 32 of 54 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
47 posts

Feb 16, 2010

1) It is definitely a MAC address ban.

2) Your MAC address never changes. It is fixed based on the hardware. Every NIC (network interface card) has a unique MAC address to identify itself on teh intarweb.

3) With a computer, I'd tell you to spoof your MAC address to bypass the ban. I'm not sure if this is possible on a PS3 without some MAJOR tweaking.

4) I feel terrible for you if you're telling the truth. Of course, if your PS3 got MAC banned, wouldn't you sell it to some poor sap? I know the right thing to do, but would you really just keep it and buy a new one? Food for thought... 

Message 33 of 54 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
586 posts

Feb 16, 2010
Does the sign in process look at the mac address and announce it? Just a thought, what about a network bridge through a desktop with two NIC's? Still thinking no, but just thought I would mention it.
Message 34 of 54 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
111 posts

Feb 16, 2010

Wow, I had no idea Sony could do that. I'm sorry man but I agree with everyone that Craigslist is a bad place to go. I understand you don't want to dish out $400 for a brand new PS3 but like I always say when you go craigslist, "You won't always get what you pay for."

That guy you bought it from probably feels like he's in the clear and is online right now. I wish there was a way to track him down on Sony's end and ban him again, lying **bleep**.

Anyways, I hope you find a means to getting a working PS3 or Sony actually hears you on this, I truly do. If nothing else, you could put it on craigslist yourself... NOT like what the previous guy did to you, but you could sell it for parts. I know people that buy defective PS3's and stuff just for parts and stuff. Some of them usually go for $150 and they're not even working! Your's at least turns on right? So you might still be able to make back some of what you spent on it.

Good luck to you. 

believeinfate

Message 35 of 54 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
111 posts

Feb 16, 2010

I know this may be a double post but i was just curious....

... What would cause Sony or PSN to BAN YOUR CONSOLE? Or just ban you period?

I didn't know that could happen and I don't want to take any chances. 

believeinfate

Message 36 of 54 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
774 posts

Feb 16, 2010
I can see a temporary ban, but a permanent ban?  What constitutes a permanent ban??    Just curious........
Message 37 of 54 (100 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 16, 2010

Not the best option but if he won't acknowledge you getting a refund because he sold you a banned console take his ass to court over it.

Message 38 of 54 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
215 posts

Feb 16, 2010

IllinoisNukee wrote:

T1ck_T0ck wrote:

IllinoisNukee wrote:

T1ck_T0ck wrote:

Da-GObLiN_21 wrote:

Whetzel wrote:

jkry_2_1_ wrote:
make a new account.

I'm sure it's a console ban and not a user account ban.

What are the chances of someone buying a used PS3 and using the exact same user name as the previous owner?

I could be wrong, but that's my 2 cents.

They banned the Mac address which means it doesnt matter what user id is used.

MAC Address is Layer 2 and is updated in the Header several times along the way, that cannot be how the ban is preformed.

As far as I know, only the IP changes in a header, MAC never changes. Even if it did, it could rely on a multitude of other ways to get the systems MAC address.

Message Edited by IllinoisNukee on 02-15-2010 04:10 PM

The MAC in the header will be from the BR

As in router? NAT only changes the IP and port used. It doesn't touch the MAC.

No one said anything about NAT, the Carrier will update the packet with their clouds information. Can't be digging through cam/mac tables for a localhost now can we
Message 39 of 54 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
215 posts

Feb 17, 2010
Small, simple networking lesson now that I have a little time to type.

Scenario:

Host A (10.10.10.200) is trying to connect to Host B (192.168.100.200), please ignore that neither of those subnets are routable.

Any connection within the local network will be Layer 2 and is switched. Once the destination requires the packet to leave the local network the packets must pass through a Router (Layer 3). Protocols are Layer 4 and 5 depending on which protocol it is.

Host A sends a request to connect to Host B (Layer 2), this request will go to its default gateway (Router) which will relate the destination IP address (Layer 3) in the packet header, if it cannot find the IP in its routing table or does not know where to forward the packet then it is dropped. The Source and Destination IP Address never change, however, the Source MAC Address will always be the physical external interface of the last hop.

The idea that the ban is performed by MAC Address is not possible. For example say you are using the wireless NIC on your PS3 to connect to your Router (Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, Apple, etc), do you think your ISP sees that wireless MAC Address? No, they see the Internet (External) Copper port on your router.

Even though this scenario/example is simple (leaving out ARP, 3 way handshake, window size, etc) hopefully it helps clears up some questions.
Message 40 of 54 (100 Views)
0 Likes