Jul 12 2012
By: NuckleFuts First Son 19 posts

bandwidth downloading question?

4 replies 666 views Edited Jul 12, 2012

So of course we know the huge sizes of the free games on PS Plus (Infamous 2 is like 15 gb ... o__o) 

I'm just wondering if anyone knowledgable about bandwidth knows whether downloading huge titles like these will use up too much bandwidth?

I'm using Time Warner Cable and everything downloads pretty fast, yet I'm afraid my monthly bill might come with some added "fees" due to massive amounts of bandwidth used by downloading games. How much bandwidth would be used by downloading a 15gb game anyways?

Message 1 of 5 (666 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5113 posts

Re: bandwidth downloading question?

Jul 14, 2012

great question nuck--- Time warner does not have a cap on bandwidth though-- they do have diffrent pcakages for speed- but that does not affect BW

Message 2 of 5 (647 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9600 posts

Jul 14, 2012
Depending on your internet cap, 15 gb will definitely take a toll on your internet bill if you exceed the download+upload cap.
Message 3 of 5 (640 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10007 posts

Jul 14, 2012
My provider is Eastlink, and with my bundle I get unlimited Downloads and Uploads, I am not familiar with your provider, however I know with Bell there is a website you can go to that tells you how much you are allowed to download and upload, and how much you have left for that month. Does Time Warner have any such feature, because if so you could just check how much you have left.
Message 4 of 5 (626 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
13 posts

Jul 14, 2012

Basically, if you have a bandwith cap, YES. If you don't NO.

Although some providers may throttle (slow down) your connection if you are having too much traffic. (aka downloading large things.)

I'm sure you'll be fine.

I do think it's weird that they have 15GBs all at once, because when my download of FF8 went out (my internet went out) I had to start all over, and my download speed is barely 1MB/s usually goes at about 100-250kb/s.

Message 5 of 5 (619 Views)
0 Likes