Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 27 2012
By: spud3456 First Son 5 posts

backup/restore utility did not bring save games over. Why not?

9 replies 151 views Edited Dec 27, 2012

In the fall this year my old 40gig fatty got the YOLD and shut itself down. It wont turn on anymore either. I had used the backup utility not long before that with a USD drive and I wasnt too worried. So i finally picked up a new PS3 in the boxing days sales, a 160gig slim, and used the backup utility on the new ps3 to 'restore' the .dat files from the USB stick.

Seemed to work just fine. It brought photos, music and movies over to the new PS3 and my old user name, but not a single save game file. No GT5, COD, Modern Warefare, Guitar Hero, Little Big Planet etc etc.....

Why can I not see them? I know some game files are protected and cannot be copied, but I didn't get a single one. Makes me think I'm doing something wrong. I also have two user names now which is annoying. The one the new PS3 forced me to choose on start up and the one that came in when I did the restore. Nothing shows up in save game data no matter which user you are logged in as.

If I cant figure it out I'll have to somehow get the old one running again long enough to manually copy some saves onto a usb, but to be honest I can do without the hassle. The info must be there in the backup, but I think I'm doing something wrong that is preventing me from seeing the game saves. Any thoughts appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
49 posts

Re: backup/restore utility did not bring save games over. Why not?

Dec 27, 2012
the back up & restore feature is for restoring information to the same console when you change the hard drive; it's not intended to allow you to move your data to an entirely separate PS3......
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (140 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Dec 27, 2012

So unless I can get thw old machine up and running for ten or twenty minutes to copy over my files to a usb stick I'm screwed?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 10 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
49 posts

Dec 27, 2012
yep
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 10 (122 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Dec 27, 2012

well that blows goats.

My first thought is that the backup / restore utility is mis-labeled.

My second thought is how am I going to get the old one to start up.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 10 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
49 posts

Dec 27, 2012
it's too succinct, and lots of people are confused by the whole data transfer/copy protected saves thing - anyway, your immediate options are (1) the hairdryer trick; (2) a reflow; (3) a reball - the first is a crude reflow using a youtube video, the second is an attempt to reheat the existing solder under the CPU/GPU, and the third is a professional attempt to replace the existing solder wholesale - it really depends how much money you want to throw at retrieving your data, and bear in mind that results for all 3 are mixed wiyh no guarantees ;-)
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 10 (115 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Dec 27, 2012

Thankyou for all the replies. Something odd just happened though.

I tried it one last time. (There were a couple of movies I wanted so I thought Ièd do the restore again on the new system, copy the movies to a USB stick and then format thuse starting the new system from scratch. I was also planning on starting all my gaming life over again too!

Anyway, my old user name on the old ps3 was PIE. When I first turned on the new ps3 it forced me to choose a user name. There is only me so I just used USER1. It did the restore and said it had imported data for the following user.... *PIE.

Not sure where the asterix came from but if I log in as *PIE, I appear to have save game files in there. Not sure what it has done but Ièll be sure to report back once I install some games and try it out. What I might do is now copy those files to the USB stick and start the new system from scratch again. That was 30gig of junk. not sure why, the two movies were about a gig each. No games seem to have come across so quite why the system restore was so big is beyond me.

It is quote confusing. Will let you know how it tuens out.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 10 (107 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Dec 28, 2012
Well I took the oppertunity to copy the save game files to a usb and started the new machine over again. Havn't done any playing yet due to lack of time and all the updates that gt5 wanted to download. However, all my cars are in the garage and it looks as if I was never away. So far all is well.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 10 (87 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8085 posts

Dec 28, 2012

deepershades wrote:
the back up & restore feature is for restoring information to the same console when you change the hard drive; it's not intended to allow you to move your data to an entirely separate PS3......

Backup/Restore will copy unprotected saves from one PS3 to another (basically the same as trying to transfer saves using a USB thumbdrive), but other data (ie games, dlc, etc) will need to be redownloaded.  So yeah, it's pretty useless as an alternative to the data transfer utility.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 10 (79 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8085 posts

Dec 28, 2012

spud3456 wrote:

Thankyou for all the replies. Something odd just happened though.

I tried it one last time. (There were a couple of movies I wanted so I thought Ièd do the restore again on the new system, copy the movies to a USB stick and then format thuse starting the new system from scratch. I was also planning on starting all my gaming life over again too!

Anyway, my old user name on the old ps3 was PIE. When I first turned on the new ps3 it forced me to choose a user name. There is only me so I just used USER1. It did the restore and said it had imported data for the following user.... *PIE.

Not sure where the asterix came from but if I log in as *PIE, I appear to have save game files in there. Not sure what it has done but Ièll be sure to report back once I install some games and try it out. What I might do is now copy those files to the USB stick and start the new system from scratch again. That was 30gig of junk. not sure why, the two movies were about a gig each. No games seem to have come across so quite why the system restore was so big is beyond me.

It is quote confusing. Will let you know how it tuens out.

I believe it adds an asterisk to your user name when you restore data to a PS3 that is not yet activated with that account.  Once you activate the PS3 on that account, you'll have to manually edit your user name to get rid of the asterisk.

I recall when I switched over from my original 80GB fatty to a 160GB slim (upgraded to 500GB), it did the same thing.  Most of my save data worked.  Luckily, I didn't have any protected game saves of any real value to me.  The ones I had (from games I had just recently started to play) did not work (as I expected).  A couple of older PSN games made the transfer via backup/restore to the new PS3, but most of my games needed to be redownloaded.

Now that I have PS+, it's easy peasy to transfer game saves (even protected ones) between my two current PS3s (both 160GB slims upgraded to 500GB).

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 10 (77 Views)
0 Likes