Apr 17 2012
By: LilRican Lombax Warrior 215 posts

anyway we are going to have texts?

5 replies 19 views Edited Apr 17, 2012

vita can get texts but not we can't reply any idea that would change?

Message 1 of 6 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
291 posts

Re: anyway we are going to have texts?

Apr 17, 2012

Not sure if I understand your question, but if you are talking about the text notifications the Vita can receive through 3G from AT&T, I wouldn't personally look for that to be changed any time soon. I tried texting a message to my Vita from my phone once and it didn't go through. I have received text notifications from AT&T however. It seems like AT&T just doesn't have texting enabled in that capacity. Maybe one day Sony and AT&T will work together to allow for it, but seeing as how both companies enjoy bleeding their customers dry, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't offer it at an additional cost, like "$15 for a normal 250MB data plan, or $20 for the same plan, with 100 text messages included" or something.

Message 2 of 6 (19 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11159 posts

Apr 17, 2012

SMS texting is a separate service that is added on to voice plans.  Since there is no capacity for a vita voice plan, I don't expect there will be a texting service anytime soon. 

Unlimited texting is a $20 add-on to ATT voice plans.

Message 3 of 6 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
291 posts

Apr 17, 2012

Thanks for the additional info, BBurgSteve!

I'm sure if it is ever offered, they will charge for it, and charge way more than it's actually worth to begin with. I'm glad my cell carrier has unlimited texts included. My experience with AT&T through the Vita so far has convinced me that I will NEVER use them for my cell provider. I'm not even renewing my 3G once this "free" month runs out. It's not worth the money they charge for what little benefit I get out of it. If they offered it for something like $5, then I would probably keep it, but as it currently stands - wifi will work just fine for me going forward until/unless they ever come down on their rates.

Message 4 of 6 (19 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11159 posts

Apr 17, 2012

I have an iPhone through ATT, but don't pay for texting.  There are way too many free texting apps available, including Apple's own iMessage (free text/pic/vid messaging between iOS5 devices), which is built into the messaging app.

There's also Google Voice (free and provides a text number w/your desired area code), TextPlus (for $5/year, you can choose your own number.  For free, they assign you a random number, including area code), Text4free (which is similar to TextPlus), and many others.

Whil ATT/Sony may never 'officially' support texting on the Vita, it is possible that someone will put out a texting app for it.

Message 5 of 6 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
291 posts

Apr 17, 2012

Very true and I hadn't thought of that before, but you are right - there are lots of free texting apps on iOS. With PS Suite coming soon, I wouldn't be surprised to see some similar apps eventually hitting the Vita as well.

Message 6 of 6 (19 Views)
0 Likes