Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 16 2012
By: joegambles First Son 2 posts

any way to reduce the lag of remote play?

9 replies 3483 views Edited Sep 16, 2012

can i hook up thru the usb cable? i think you could do this with the psp. im always in the same room as the ps3 but even "connect privte network" has too much lag for me to play ico and SOC.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (3,483 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2602 posts

Re: any way to reduce the lag of remote play?

Sep 16, 2012

What would really be the point of remote play if you could do it while the console is connected? Anyhow, your best bet would to just get faster internet. If you have wireless internet sometimes those lag times pratically vanish. It works for me, but then again my console does have a wired internet connection.

Oh, and Welcome to the Forums!

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (3,481 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Sep 16, 2012

yes at home with my high speed wireless it workds great but ive been wanting to play at work were the wireless is slow. i brought my ps3 thinking it would be faster if it was right next to me but it wasnt. i found a video of someone useing remote play with a plugged in psp with no lag. wanted to do this with my vita but it seems they want it to suck so we will buy the crappy remake for vita

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 10 (3,477 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7551 posts

Sep 16, 2012
Use wired internet instead of Wireless. Aside from that, not much you can do.

Processing video, then compressing it, then sending it on a noisy, overcrowded Half-Duplex 2.4GHz network *and* sending button inputs back on the same channel is just a recipe for unpredictable input lag.

The biggest bottleneck of Remoteplay is not the Vita, but the PS3. The PS3 only has Wireless B/G, but the Vita has B/G/N.
FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice. Dogecoin is nice too.
dd58bb65b61e7ab81198f3cc66aa5896c7fd690a
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 10 (3,469 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Sep 17, 2012

Doppelgangergang wrote:

Processing video, then compressing it, then sending it on a noisy, overcrowded Half-Duplex 2.4GHz network *and* sending button inputs back on the same channel is just a recipe for unpredictable input lag.

The biggest bottleneck of Remoteplay is not the Vita, but the PS3. The PS3 only has Wireless B/G, but the Vita has B/G/N.

This is the first time I heard someone argue that it was PS3's wireless hardware and not its RAM and CPU/GPU which is the cause for "lag" in FTP streaming (between devices).

I mean, how is it the new console (that shall not be named) can have a decent streaming experience?

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 10 (3,436 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7913 posts

Sep 17, 2012

Doppelgangergang wrote:

Actually, there is no network bottleneck over a local connection, even using wireless G.  HD remote play requires no more than about a 10-12Mbps connection.  Wireless G is 54Mbps.

Where the bottleneck comes into play is the Vita downstream/PS3 upstream of feeding your Vita the video feed, and the Vita upstream/PS3 downstream of the control inputs when using remote play over the internet.

I've been saying since the Vita's release that remote play over the internet was not going to work well, and won't until the internet infrastructure is improved, which is completely out of Sony's control.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 10 (3,427 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
844 posts

Sep 17, 2012
I get lag from Remote playing Shadow of the Colossus from my couch...
My Playstation Collection consists of:
152 PS3 games - 564 PS2 games - 72 PS1 games - 202 PSP games - 11 PS Vita games

Over 1,100 games total :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 10 (3,425 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7913 posts

Sep 17, 2012

Wakefulness wrote:

I mean, how is it the new console (that shall not be named) can have a decent streaming experience?

I suspect the CTSNBN uses a bluetooth connection between console and controller (which it IS simply a controller - it is NOT a separate portable gaming console, so there is no comparison between it and the PS3/PSV connection).

Besides that, there is no delay between the PS3 and the PSVita when using remote play locally (over a private network - which is a direct wireless connection between the PS3 and PSV, no local network required).  I just spent 3 hours playing God of War I (BD edition) via remote play in another room over the private connection and experienced absolutely zero control lag.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 10 (3,423 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
218 posts

Sep 17, 2012

joegambles wrote:

can i hook up thru the usb cable? i think you could do this with the psp. im always in the same room as the ps3 but even "connect privte network" has too much lag for me to play ico and SOC.

No the PSP does not support remote play via USB. Remote Play on the PSP works just like it does on the Vita.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 10 (3,405 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7913 posts

Sep 17, 2012

Well, as I expected and predicted, while a Private Network connection works well, an internet remote play connection continues to be completely unplayable.  I'd go so far to say as the internet remote play has actually taken a step backwards since Vita firmware 1.80/PS3 firmware 4.25.  Previously, XMB access worked fairly well.  Under the new (current) firmware, even entering text in a message over remote play is nearly impossible, between 'missing' (dropped data packets) and 'stuck' (general latency) keystrokes.

I tried to respond to a message that I got this morning 'Are you getting LBP Vita?'  with the response 'I'll probably be getting it next week'.  what ended up on my screen is: 'IIIIIIl prrrrrrby e ttnxtkkkkk'.  Needless to say, I didn't send the message, as it is completely unreadable, even in txtspk.

And no, this is not a complaint to Sony.  This is an 'I told you so' to those that have been complaining that remote play was 'broken'.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 10 (3,382 Views)
0 Likes