Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 05 2013
By: silverstr8p First Son 4 posts

all ports forward/open, still nat issues

8 replies 267 views Edited Feb 5, 2013
I have a Juniper SSG-5 with all ports forwarding from both Untrust -> DMZ, and also DMZ -> Untrust. Untrust -> DMZ is natting fine and passes all other traffic defined in policies. Still, PS3 in DMZ zone can't host a team. I could specifically allow ports to be forwarded, but that doesn't make any sense because they're all open anyway (for testing purposes). Whether or not UPnP is enabled, as I understand it, all open ports *should* allow any traffic PS3 tries to create, what am I missing?
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (267 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5049 posts

Re: all ports forward/open, still nat issues

Feb 5, 2013

¤ Does your internet provider block ports?  Some do, some don't.  It's atleast worth looking into.  I worked for a company that automatically blocked ports, a simple call to us and we would unblock them for customer.

Playstation PlusPlatinum Trophy  PSN ID: SpoolnBad                              Add Me On FacebookPSN ID: SpoolnBad"No, no, he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you ... he rubbed you. And rubbin', son, is racin'." -- Harry Hogge
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (257 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Feb 5, 2013
For testing purposes we have opened all ports both inbound and outbound, so while we could still be considered (according to how I understand PS categorizes NAT) a NAT 2 setup, we have no port restrictions like you would normally have with NAT 3. This is at the datacenter where the ISP originates traffic, and is connected to a perimeter router, so nothing upstream but fiber, and CAT6 cable connected to that router. Still no joy.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (251 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Feb 5, 2013
Change to cat6 cables, and set your ps3/vita as a DMZ host in your router
My PSN
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (245 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Feb 5, 2013
We are using CAT6 cables, and this in the DMZ zone on the router.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (237 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1542 posts

Feb 6, 2013

Some routers/modems just won't do it.  For years I couldn't get a decent NAT setting no matter what DMZ or forwarded ports I tried.  I then got a new Router/Modem from my ISP and finally I could put my PS3 into the DMZ and get and Open NAT.  Mind you thou I still have occasional problems on the PSN end if something updated my NAT goes from Open to Strict but simple power cycling my router/modem resets it to Open again.

Never got and open NAT with DLink, Linksys, or Zyxel no matter what setting used.

Achieved with Actiontec Q1000

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (226 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Feb 6, 2013

Fixed my problem changing the Router firmware to DD-WRT. with same setting i was trying with original firmware.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (220 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
48164 posts

Feb 6, 2013

silverstr8p wrote:
I have a Juniper SSG-5 with all ports forwarding from both Untrust -> DMZ, and also DMZ -> Untrust. Untrust -> DMZ is natting fine and passes all other traffic defined in policies. Still, PS3 in DMZ zone can't host a team. I could specifically allow ports to be forwarded, but that doesn't make any sense because they're all open anyway (for testing purposes). Whether or not UPnP is enabled, as I understand it, all open ports *should* allow any traffic PS3 tries to create, what am I missing?

Check out this thread! 
http://www.community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Network/NAT-Type-2-Tutorial/td-p/27538324/pag...

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (211 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Feb 7, 2013
Has anyone determined whether this is the fault of the game itself? My router is an enterprise router, not a simple home router. Juniper network gear is used in the largest datacenters on the planet, and all ports inbound and outbound are both open, and the connection immediately upstream is fiber trunk buried in the ground with multiple strands that connect other datacenters, and those datacenters aren't blocking anything. This is a core enterprise link, and with all ports open it still doesn't work. I can't imagine a game releasing that didn't work with Juniper gear, half the Internet would have issues.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (204 Views)
0 Likes