Sackboy
426 posts

Re: Your Price Limit for a PS4

May 1, 2013
The question I have been asking is " why pay 400.oo dollars for a PS4 full of features the majority of gamers will not use ? " those share and video upload features are going to raise the price of ps4, people that do this on a daily basis already have the equipment to do it and are financially invested in it, does sony think these people are just going to set that stuff aside and go get a ps4 ? Sony is making a mistake with all the gimicks on the controller , this will make it too expensive to replace. I would pay $650.00 dollars for a PS4 that has backwards compatibility , Psn content carry over, the one time chance to change my Psn ID and keep my trophy history, a controller with ergonomic design improved button response, a headset with mic, and features and tools that protect my hard drive from data corruption. Sony said in the reveal video that the ps4 is for developers by developers, did they forget that ps4 will be owned by a gamer? and that the success of the console rides on us being happy with it , developers are not going to go out and buy a bunch of Ps4's , we are the reason there is a video game market, we are the reason Sony has the money to make a PS4. And before you try, do not bring up Gaikai, I refuse to pay for a service that allows me to play games I already own. Do you really think Gaikai will be free?, you are kidding your self.
[URL="http://psnprofiles.com/cb765"][IMG]http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/cb765.png[/IMG][/URL]http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/cb765.png
Message 61 of 73 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
426 posts

May 1, 2013
There is only 2 reasons the developers gave sony a hard time and those are the blu-ray format and the cell processor, developers did not want to spend any money upgrading there development software to fully support the cell or blu-ray format, this is why games like skyrim, fall out new vegas , and many others are so bugy and freeze, they are adapted to ps3, not developed for it.
[URL="http://psnprofiles.com/cb765"][IMG]http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/cb765.png[/IMG][/URL]http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/cb765.png
Message 62 of 73 (133 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

May 1, 2013
This isn't a B/C thread. There are already hundreds of those threads scattered throughout every forum here. We get it. You want to trade in your PS3 to go and get the PS4. The games you own will still play on your PS3. The PS3 won't magically explode like a grenade when the PS4 comes out. By the time the PS3 is officially discontinued and all servers for the PS3s shut down, the PS4 will have been in existence for quite a while and will have a huge library of games to play.

I wanted the first PS3 I bought to have B/C so I could play some PS2 games. It didn't have it. So I played PS3 games instead and have been loving it. I don't plan on getting rid of my PS3 at any point, and will continue to love playing it when the PS4 is released, and many years after.
Message 63 of 73 (132 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

May 1, 2013

cb765 wrote:
There is only 2 reasons the developers gave sony a hard time and those are the blu-ray format and the cell processor, developers did not want to spend any money upgrading there development software to fully support the cell or blu-ray format, this is why games like skyrim, fall out new vegas , and many others are so bugy and freeze, they are adapted to ps3, not developed for it.

The blu-ray format has NOTHING to do with the development software.  NOTHING!  Where the heck did you come up with that lie?  I have a blu-ray burner, I have videos on blu-ray, i have data stored on blu-ray, i have games on blu-ray.  There's nothing difficult about it.  You don't have to do squat in order to take advantage of the blu-ray format.  Wow.

The cell processor is the only reason why devs didn't like developing for the PS3.  Because the custom instruction sets built into the PS3 were so vastly different from the minimal custom instructions that MS used on their CPU (both MS and Sony's CPUs in this generation of chip are PowerPC based), developers hated having to port their games over to the PS3.  ALL multi-platform games are initially designed with the 360 in mind (console wise) since they have a data limitation due to the much lower capacity of the HD-DVD discs.  So in order to develop a multi-platform game, they had to first code it for the 360 then port it over to the PS3 which took a lot of time, effort, and most importantly money to do so.  They couldn't first design the game for the PS3 since the Blu-Ray disc can hold a LOT more data on it than MS' supported format.  (And, BTW, MS supported HD-DVD since they had a stake in that format war.  Since HD-DVD lost, MS is now moving to Blu-Ray for the next generation).  In addition, basing it all on the PS3 then moving to the 360 would require even more work as they would have to cut out either entire portions of the games, or include more highly compressed and lower quality video/audio in there to fit on the disc.

So the cell was the key, and really only, bugaboo for developers.  Blu-Ray discs had ZERO to do with their preference for the 360 in terms of game development. 

Message 64 of 73 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
426 posts

May 1, 2013
He is asking how much we would pay, I stated how much and why.
Message 65 of 73 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16827 posts

May 1, 2013

cb765 wrote:
The question I have been asking is " why pay 400.oo dollars for a PS4 full of features the majority of gamers will not use ? " those share and video upload features are going to raise the price of ps4, people that do this on a daily basis already have the equipment to do it and are financially invested in it, does sony think these people are just going to set that stuff aside and go get a ps4 ?
No one knows.... If Sony is making the PS4 as more SOCIAL setting, I'd more than likely use it of course I'd want the option to make things private or turn things off. 
No one thought we needed facebook or twitter.... look at us now.
But these are also things that will be OPTIONAL.... you don't have to involve yourself with any social aspect if you don't want to. But the option is THERE for those who would like to try it out. At first I didn't like the idea of facebook or twitter... I don't use twitter at all actually, but I use facebook to keep in touch with people. 
But Sony is also focusing more on GAMES, which is why soon after the PS3 launched, they went to ask developers what THEY wanted in a new generation of hardware. 

Sony is making a mistake with all the gimicks on the controller , this will make it too expensive to replace.
Thats an opinion.... At this point, we don't know for sure if the PS3 controllers are going to be compatible with the PS4 or not, although many are saying no, we cant know for certain until E3. Its HIGHLY doubfil the DS4, or whatever Sony is going to call it,  is going to be expensive.... Current DS3's go for $20-$40 depending on where you buy from. 
The only big difference I am seeing is a light bar (which for any electronic hobbyist is pretty cheap to make, especially when using LED lighting) and a small speaker (again, hobbyists can also do for dirt cheap). The only other addition is the proprietary microphone/headset port and smaller 2.5mm port. The X360's controller has almost THE SAME EXACT port for its wired headset/mic and the controller is just $30-$50 depending on where you buy it from.... 
I think people who are assuming that the PS4 controller is going to be very expensive are being way too presumptuous.

And honestly, for people who buy controller after controller.... I don't understand how some COLLECT them and other destroy them soo often... I have 5 DS3's, I even had a Sixxaxis from my launch 60GB that I used until the DS3's finally came out, after that, I used the same DS3 for nearly 5 years until I started buying games that came bundled with controllers....

I would pay $650.00 dollars for a PS4 that has backwards compatibility , Psn content carry over, the one time chance to change my Psn ID and keep my trophy history, a controller with ergonomic design improved button response, a headset with mic, and features and tools that protect my hard drive from data corruption.
Ok, you really need to let the B/C stuff go as well as content carrying over.
The new controller IS going to digital inputs instead of the soft rubber analog input to increase response as most developers don't program for the use of analog face buttons. Sony has already said every PS4 will have a mic included.
You also need to drop the data corruption argument because even WITH software to prevent data corruption, its not a guarantee... data corrupts all the time. 

Sony said in the reveal video that the ps4 is for developers by developers, did they forget that ps4 will be owned by a gamer?
Wel without developers who are HAPPY programming for a specific and uniform hardware spec, they can't really make any good games to make gamers happy now would they?
Naughty Dog invested A LOT of time learning the PS3 hardware, and it benefitted them greatly, but not without some MASSIVE frustration, and look what they came out with... Uncharted and turned it into a very respected franchise that some would argue, can stand the test of time when nostalgic players want to replay Uncharted 10-20 years from now.
and that the success of the console rides on us being happy with it , developers are not going to go out and buy a bunch of Ps4's , we are the reason there is a video game market, we are the reason Sony has the money to make a PS4.
And without the people WHO MAKE the games we buy, there wouldn't have been ANY gaming industry.... do you not yet know how businesses work? 
You make a product, you present the product in such a way where you entice the public to the point that they feel they NEED such product and then let the rest take care of itself.

And before you try, do not bring up Gaikai, I refuse to pay for a service that allows me to play games I already own. Do you really think Gaikai will be free?, you are kidding your self.
And what about Plus? What if Sony came with a Tiered subscription system like Microsoft has done which would include Gaikai at no additional cost? 

You still keep preaching that your PS3 is somehow going to blow up the day the PS4 launches.... If you keep your PS3, you won't have to worry about B/C FOR A LONG TIME..... If your PS3 breaks.... so what... buy another PS3... they'll be dirt cheap in a few years anyway.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 66 of 73 (112 Views)
MVP Support
10759 posts

May 2, 2013

cb765 wrote:
The question I have been asking is " why pay 400.oo dollars for a PS4 full of features the majority of gamers will not use ? " those share and video upload features are going to raise the price of ps4

As I already stated, you are paying for the HARDWARE, not for the features on it.  Comparable hardware in a PC would easily set you back over $1,000, and Sony is going to be selling it for about half that.  Granted, Sony will be paying OEM prices in manufacturing costs, but even then, it is only about 15-25% cheaper than retail.  Each PS4 will cost Sony $700-800 to manufacture and they will be selling it for (likely) under $500.

Name ONE SINGLE device that the inclusion of Facebook, Twitter or Youtube has raised the cost on.  

My point exactly.  They are FREE apps on EVERY SINGLE DEVICE that supports them.

To include B/C in the PS4 would require the hardware out of the PS3.  THAT would add another $250-300 to the price of the PS4, because not only would it basically require a PS3 inside the PS4, but it would also require extra cooling to keep TWO super-hot processors from melting each other.  But nevermind that the PS3 will probably drop to $150-200 on its own when the PS4 launches.

Message 67 of 73 (107 Views)
VP of Gaming
28542 posts

[ Edited ]
May 2, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

cb765 wrote:
The question I have been asking is " why pay 400.oo dollars for a PS4 full of features the majority of gamers will not use ? " those share and video upload features are going to raise the price of ps4, people that do this on a daily basis already have the equipment to do it and are financially invested in it, does sony think these people are just going to set that stuff aside and go get a ps4 ?
No one knows.... If Sony is making the PS4 as more SOCIAL setting, I'd more than likely use it of course I'd want the option to make things private or turn things off. 
No one thought we needed facebook or twitter.... look at us now.
But these are also things that will be OPTIONAL.... you don't have to involve yourself with any social aspect if you don't want to. But the option is THERE for those who would like to try it out. At first I didn't like the idea of facebook or twitter... I don't use twitter at all actually, but I use facebook to keep in touch with people. 
But Sony is also focusing more on GAMES, which is why soon after the PS3 launched, they went to ask developers what THEY wanted in a new generation of hardware. 

Sony is making a mistake with all the gimicks on the controller , this will make it too expensive to replace.
Thats an opinion.... At this point, we don't know for sure if the PS3 controllers are going to be compatible with the PS4 or not, although many are saying no, we cant know for certain until E3. Its HIGHLY doubfil the DS4, or whatever Sony is going to call it,  is going to be expensive.... Current DS3's go for $20-$40 depending on where you buy from. 
The only big difference I am seeing is a light bar (which for any electronic hobbyist is pretty cheap to make, especially when using LED lighting) and a small speaker (again, hobbyists can also do for dirt cheap). The only other addition is the proprietary microphone/headset port and smaller 2.5mm port. The X360's controller has almost THE SAME EXACT port for its wired headset/mic and the controller is just $30-$50 depending on where you buy it from.... 
I think people who are assuming that the PS4 controller is going to be very expensive are being way too presumptuous.

And honestly, for people who buy controller after controller.... I don't understand how some COLLECT them and other destroy them soo often... I have 5 DS3's, I even had a Sixxaxis from my launch 60GB that I used until the DS3's finally came out, after that, I used the same DS3 for nearly 5 years until I started buying games that came bundled with controllers....

I would pay $650.00 dollars for a PS4 that has backwards compatibility , Psn content carry over, the one time chance to change my Psn ID and keep my trophy history, a controller with ergonomic design improved button response, a headset with mic, and features and tools that protect my hard drive from data corruption.
Ok, you really need to let the B/C stuff go as well as content carrying over.
The new controller IS going to digital inputs instead of the soft rubber analog input to increase response as most developers don't program for the use of analog face buttons. Sony has already said every PS4 will have a mic included.
You also need to drop the data corruption argument because even WITH software to prevent data corruption, its not a guarantee... data corrupts all the time. 

Sony said in the reveal video that the ps4 is for developers by developers, did they forget that ps4 will be owned by a gamer?
Wel without developers who are HAPPY programming for a specific and uniform hardware spec, they can't really make any good games to make gamers happy now would they?
Naughty Dog invested A LOT of time learning the PS3 hardware, and it benefitted them greatly, but not without some MASSIVE frustration, and look what they came out with... Uncharted and turned it into a very respected franchise that some would argue, can stand the test of time when nostalgic players want to replay Uncharted 10-20 years from now.
and that the success of the console rides on us being happy with it , developers are not going to go out and buy a bunch of Ps4's , we are the reason there is a video game market, we are the reason Sony has the money to make a PS4.
And without the people WHO MAKE the games we buy, there wouldn't have been ANY gaming industry.... do you not yet know how businesses work? 
You make a product, you present the product in such a way where you entice the public to the point that they feel they NEED such product and then let the rest take care of itself.

And before you try, do not bring up Gaikai, I refuse to pay for a service that allows me to play games I already own. Do you really think Gaikai will be free?, you are kidding your self.
And what about Plus? What if Sony came with a Tiered subscription system like Microsoft has done which would include Gaikai at no additional cost? 

You still keep preaching that your PS3 is somehow going to blow up the day the PS4 launches.... If you keep your PS3, you won't have to worry about B/C FOR A LONG TIME..... If your PS3 breaks.... so what... buy another PS3... they'll be dirt cheap in a few years anyway.

Here's the problem with designing things around "gamers"; they're out of touch with what CONSUMERS want. If the industry listened to "gamers" we'd still be using cartridges, consoles would have disc changers, all games would needlessly use a mouse and keyboard by default, advertising would be confined to bus benches, and if we did have a controller it would be the size of a canned ham and impossible to use. Games would be $40 and the countless development houses would be bankrupt, and games would have all the depth of shooting ducks on a carnvial midway. "Gamers" don't necessarily have good ideas and are really a 'niche' market, which is why Sony traditionally courts the sports watching, beer drinking 18-39 year old male demographic.

A lot of you wonder why I constantly rip on "gamers". It's because they decry the current state of the industry that is "greedy" and "arrogant", all the while screaming for more and issuing demands, and are the same people that complain that there's a Call of Duty game every year line up at midnight to buy them. I know I sound like I'm being harsh here, but sometimes you have to lay it all out there and be honest. Somebody has to say it guys.

Message 68 of 73 (98 Views)
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

May 2, 2013

Here's the problem with designing things around "gamers"; they're out of touch with what CONSUMERS want. If the industry listened to "gamers" we'd still be using cartridges, consoles would have disc changers, all games would needlessly use a mouse and keyboard by default, advertising would be confined to bus benches, and if we did have a controller it would be the size of a canned ham and impossible to use. Games would be $40 and the countless development houses would be bankrupt, and games would have all the depth of shooting ducks on a carnvial midway. "Gamers" don't necessarily have good ideas and are really a 'niche' market, which is why Sony traditionally courts the sports watching, beer drinking 18-39 year old male demographic.

A lot of you wonder why I constantly rip on "gamers". It's because they decry the current state of the industry that is "greedy" and "arrogant", all the while screaming for more and issuing demands, and are the same people that complain that there's a Call of Duty game every year line up at midnight to buy them. I know I sound like I'm being harsh here, but sometimes you have to lay it all out there and be honest. Somebody has to say it guys.

No wonder so much stupid crap is allowed to happen, so this is who we blame for the outlandish abuse of DLC?

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 69 of 73 (89 Views)
VP of Gaming
28542 posts

May 2, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

No wonder so much stupid crap is allowed to happen, so this is who we blame for the outlandish abuse of DLC?

Yes, according to the last US Census you have to blame all EIGHTY SEVEN MILLION of them. Like it or not they out number and out spend you.

Message 70 of 73 (78 Views)
0 Likes