Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

Re: Your Price Limit for a PS4

May 1, 2013

dewadonuts wrote:

Occhi07 wrote:
im all for a video game system that can play movies, but in all seriousness, who puts their pictures/music on their ps3's, or uses the internet on the ps3? i will use my computer or smartphone thank you.

*Slowly Raises Hand*

I put music on the PS3....

I've got my PS3 playing a couple solid playlists when I'm cleaning or playing a game that I don't want to alt tab out of. Then on the flipside, my computer plays music when I'm playing on my PS3. Both pretty much switch regularly between feeding into my speakers, speakers + headset, or both through headset, depending on how much noise I wanna make. 

Pictures/Internet - I'll pass. The internet would have been useful if the browser didn't suck so badly but I've already moved on. Unfortunately, my brief encounter with browsing the internet on the Vita shows that Sony didn't learn anything with the PS3.

*raises hand as well*

I never had music on my PS3 until "Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit" came out.

I put a butt-load of songs on it, so I could make my own playlist to listen to in-game.

As for pictures. The only ones I have on my PS3 are/were for my wall frames in my personal HOME spaces.

I'd never store my personal photos on my PS3. I save my PC/External hard drive/DVD-ROMs for that.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 51 of 73 (763 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7356 posts

May 1, 2013

I, too, have over 2GB of music on my PS3, so music is a huge deal for me. I hope all games on the PS4 will allow custom music.

PlayStation MVP Program 2001 to 2016
Message 52 of 73 (760 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
489 posts

[ Edited ]
May 1, 2013

I dont get why people complain about the ps3 price tag. Sure it was 600 bucks, but computers and tv during that time was over 1000 and people still buy them. During the time of the ps3 launch, i pay 1600 for a 47in HDTV to go with my ps3, now those tv are just 500-600 now. And for computers, i spend like 2 grand on a fast good computer, so paying like 600 bucks is nothing.

For the ps4, I would pay up to 1000, if it have BC to all ps title.

The people who are complaining about the price are the ones who doesnt have a job. lol

Message 53 of 73 (759 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7356 posts

May 1, 2013

Kali_boiz_4life wrote:

I dont get why people complain about the ps3 price tag. Sure it was 600 bucks, but computers and tv during that time was over 1000 and people still buy them. During the time of the ps3 launch, i pay 1600 for a 47in HDTV to go with my ps3, now those tv are just 500-600 now. And for computers, i spend like 2 grand on a fast good computer, so paying like 600 bucks is nothing.

The people who are complaining about the price are the ones who doesnt have a job. lol

From personal experience, the reason I did not like the PS3's $600 price tag was because its competition was at least $200 cheaper. Also, because of the rough start the PS3 had from the price tag, developer support was aimed at the 360, causing us PlayStation gamers to suffer from Sony's mistake.

I agree with you, but the general population doesn't - they only see a price tag, not what the product offers.

PlayStation MVP Program 2001 to 2016
Message 54 of 73 (744 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3279 posts

May 1, 2013

$349 max.  I just dont see much different besides it being a facebook box and I care nothing about that.  Might change my mind once we find out more but as of now, it dont see anything warranting a $400+ price tag.

photo rsz_pshomeless1_zpst3ouqfpg.png
Message 55 of 73 (729 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4134 posts

May 1, 2013
I would go up to 600, that thing better have a 1 tb hard drive though, i hate having space issues with my ps3/vita
-------------------
Iceyfire's youtube
Message 56 of 73 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4292 posts

May 1, 2013

About €400-450 would be nice, and considering it's always converted 1 to 1, that would be $400-450.

Message 57 of 73 (68 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10011 posts

May 1, 2013

S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT wrote:

Kali_boiz_4life wrote:

From personal experience, the reason I did not like the PS3's $600 price tag was because its competition was at least $200 cheaper. Also, because of the rough start the PS3 had from the price tag, developer support was aimed at the 360, causing us PlayStation gamers to suffer from Sony's mistake.

I agree with you, but the general population doesn't - they only see a price tag, not what the product offers.

well they may have jobs but not everyone just has 1000 bux to drop on a gaming system lol

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 58 of 73 (60 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10995 posts

May 1, 2013

S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT wrote:

Kali_boiz_4life wrote:

Don't forget one other little tidbit...  when the PS3 released, Blu-ray was a brand new technology, and Blu-ray players at the time cost $500-550.  I remember this distinctly, because I was in the market for a Blu-ray player in 2008.  Standing in the store, I was looking at two different models of Blu-ray player.  Both were Sony.  One was a PS3.  The Blu-ray player was $549.  The PS3 was $599 and came with a game (MGS4).

Buying the PS3 was a no-brainer.  For a mere $50 more than I would have otherwise spent, I got a game console as well as a Blu-ray player.

Of course, Sony won't have this going for them this time around.  It is likely the next Xbox will have Blu-ray, as well as a user-upgradable HDD.  From what I've been reading, the next Xbox is also looking at a $400-500 price tag.  The only major differences between the two consoles this time around is going to be the number and quality of First Party and Exclusive games (bioware and bungie are no longer exclusive to M$) and the cost of doing things online ($60/yr for Xbox, Free for PS4).

Also, it sounds like Sony has the ease of coding over M$.  Sony is switching to 'mainstream' x86/64 hardware, while M$ is switching to PowerPC hardware (the architecture that the Cell was based around).

Message 59 of 73 (52 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

May 1, 2013
Actually, the XBOX360 currently uses a PowerPC based chip in it. It's just not as heavily customized as the Cell processor is. But are the core (pun intended) it is the same basic architecture as any other PowerPC. The insane amount of custom instruction sets that Sony had placed into the Cell processor is what caused so much trouble for developers.

So both manufacturers are switching from, what at it's core is, a PowerPC based architecture to an x86 based architecture.
Message 60 of 73 (48 Views)
0 Likes