Aug 21 2013
By: bronxsushi Ghost of Sparta 9607 posts
Accepted Solution

You Tube Videos won't play on PS3

15 replies 25022 views Edited Aug 21, 2013

Yesterday my PS3 stopped playing YouTube videos. When I go to regular YouTube the video will not play on my PS3. Even YouTube videos that are embedded into this site will not play on PS3. I wrote to people on my friends list and 3 wrote back and said that it was happening to them also. PS3 stopped playing YouTube videos yesterday.

original.GIFDisappointed-Bill-Cosby.gif

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Message 1 of 16 (25,022 Views)
First Son
7 posts

Re: You Tube Videos won't play on PS3

Aug 22, 2013
WHEW! sigh of relief,I thought it was just me. any idea what we can do or even whats causing the problem?
I'M THE ONE WHO KNOCKS!
Message 2 of 16 (25,000 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 1, 2013

You can watch videos on YouTube.com in DVD (480p) resolution by using the PS3 Bookmarklet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6AxZbPs4zE

For embedded videos, click the link at the top of video, twice, to open an actual YouTube video page (in new window) and then use bookmarklet on page (once page has fully loaded).

YouTube sometimes tries to initially play a "high quality" (in terms of resolution) advert, which is accompanied by full hard disk activity (orange light is on solid). In these cases, the bookmarklet will take longer to replace video player as PS3 is busy loading advert, i.e. you just need to be patient. 

Tip 1. For optimal 480p playback, avoid visiting sites that stress PS3 browser, before using YouTube (this forum's ok), or if you find video is pausing too often, start a fresh browser session (exit browser and re-load YouTube page etc).

Tip 2. Wait until video starts playing, before pressing down on D-Pad, followed by X or Enter (on remote) to go "Full Screen" (doing it before this may not work because browser is busy loading video).

Tip 3. Use bookmarklet on Subscriptions feed and Search results etc for enhanced experience; clicking video links then opens video in new window (saves having to long press links), so after watching vid and closing video window (hold Circle), you are back to main window, where you can load another vid. Also on those pages show bookmarklet's rating indicator for videos, which is especially handy for search results as can then avoid the turkeys!   

P.S. you may notice for new videos, the 480p quality isn't initially available (recent change by YouTube) and if so, the 360p stream is used instead, which is still way better than the default (240p with mono sound). If the video deserves further viewing, you can download in 720p. If you come back later, you'll notice the 480p and 1080p qualities (where uploaded in this quality) are available.

P.P.S. See my update, below.

Message 3 of 16 (24,989 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
180 posts

Aug 22, 2013

YouTube plays just fine for me on PS3 today,  although I did not try yesterday.

Message 4 of 16 (24,981 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
219 posts

Aug 23, 2013

this sucks only youtube app works now and the search is terrible

i don't have a pc i use ps3 browser
Message 5 of 16 (24,740 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
89 posts

Aug 23, 2013
You can search by using a mobile device
Message 6 of 16 (24,729 Views)
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 23, 2013

UPDATE August 23: When I accessed YouTube today it offered me option to link a Google+ account with my YouTube account. I agreed and then I experienced  pauses when playing YouTube videos which was accompanied by excessive hard disk activity. I undid this change (disconnected accounts in YouTube settings, not Google+ settings) and I'm getting smooth 480p playback again (see my post above) Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 16 (24,504 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Aug 25, 2013
Hey you all i have found a solution to fixing youtube.com on your ps3 browser.. simply go to www.hidemyass.com and then scroll down and type www.youtube.com in the proxy address bar. VOILA youtube videos WORK AGAIN on ps3 !! Glad i discovered this !!!!! YOUR WELCOME
Message 8 of 16 (23,374 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6106 posts

Aug 25, 2013

DaleEarnhardt3Sr wrote:
Hey you all i have found a solution to fixing youtube.com on your ps3 browser.. simply go to www.hidemyass.com and then scroll down and type www.youtube.com in the proxy address bar. VOILA youtube videos WORK AGAIN on ps3 !! Glad i discovered this !!!!! YOUR WELCOME

Again... why would you want to look at youtube video's in 480p through the web browser, the app is much better and in HD - I'm using it right now... super confused.

http://us.playstation.com/youtube/

Message 9 of 16 (23,370 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Aug 25, 2013
@da1writer because the youtube app sucks and you cant use your keyboard to type fast on that horrible app!! My way is better !!!
Message 10 of 16 (23,366 Views)
0 Likes