Dec 21 2011
By: Wakefulness I Only Post Everything 1306 posts

Yoshida: Newest IP's and established brands already planned (all the way up to 2013).

9 replies 9 views Edited Dec 21, 2011

The following is from the European Playstation Blog  when they conducted an interview with SCE WWS head Shuhei Yoshida,

PSB: How far ahead are you looking now and what can we expect from the second and third phases of releases?

SY: Generally we look three years ahead when we work on games. We have a fairly firm plan right up to 2013 but, because PS Vita gives us the opportunity to work on smaller titles like Escape Plan and Sound Shapes, I’m certain we will end up working on more games than we even know about at this moment. On top of the launch line-up, we have already announced LittleBigPlanet, Resistance: Burning Skies, ModNation: Road Trip, and Killzone.

In the past we launched PSP and then shifted our attention to PS3 when that came on the horizon, which we now concede was a mistake. So with PS Vita we are working on this huge range titles and planning ahead for a constant supply of excellent games.

This seems to indicate that there is a clear roadmap in which WWS have planned specific studios to be developing titles mainly for the PS Vita from now to (sometime in) 2013 and afterwards perhaps spare some resources of their development studios (likely due to consoles) or console developers could make PS Vita content.

What types of IP's do you believe we can expect to see on the PS Vita leading up to the 2013 roadmap? Afterwards?

Message 1 of 10 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8824 posts

Re: Yoshida: Newest IP's and established brands already planned (all the way up to 2013).

Dec 21, 2011

What took me by surprised was that he said the word mistake, you don't normally here that from someone of his caliber.

Message 2 of 10 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
922 posts

Re: Yoshida: Newest IP's and established brands already planned (all the way up to 2013).

Dec 21, 2011

I expect to see games like Infamous, Ratchet & Clank, and God of War for the established brands. As far as new IPs go I would like to see more Action RPG and Action Adventure games similar to Uncharted.

Message 3 of 10 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Dec 21, 2011

@KingofDreams5150 you mean platformer's like Uncharted or like Rachet & Clank or like Lora Croft Tomb Raider.  sure all platformer's have rpg elements but they are always considerd a platformer according to how sony lists them.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 4 of 10 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Dec 21, 2011

@KingofDreams5150 I would like for a new IP's are quirky games like Gravity Rush.  games that push the limits more less in the RPG/JRPG and Action RPG style.

so KingofDreams5150 you mean games like The 3rd Birthday?

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 5 of 10 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
922 posts

Dec 21, 2011

@incagneto i meant i wanted Action RPGs like Crisis Core or Kingdom Hearts...and Action Adventure similar to Uncharted. Two separate types of games not all in one =). I don't consider Uncharted a platforming game it just has some platforming elements. I don't want games exactly like Uncharted, but similar in gameplay and great story telling.

@everyone

PSB: How far ahead are you looking now and what can we expect from the second and third phases of releases?

SY: Generally we look three years ahead when we work on games. We have a fairly firm plan right up to 2013 but, because PS Vita gives us the opportunity to work on smaller titles like Escape Plan and Sound Shapes,

Does this mean that Escape Plan and Sound Shapes are going to be PSN titles, since he calls them smaller titles?

Message 6 of 10 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
922 posts

Dec 21, 2011

Yes, I love games like The 3rd Birthday for Action RPG titles, but games like Uncharted for my action fix. I enjoy FPS games like Killzone, but tend to get bored very easily by games like Call of Duty.

Message 7 of 10 (9 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Dec 22, 2011

eaglefan129 wrote:

What took me by surprised was that he said the word mistake, you don't normally here that from someone of his caliber.

The head of WWS announcing a 1-2 year roadmap of games for new hardware (in the PS Vita) is new. Usually, SCE (and similar companies) publicly discuss the "launch window" of titles which either launch with the new hardware or in the days after. It does seem to confirm titles such as God of War, Infamous, Jak and Daxter and big new IP's are going to be released for the PS Vita in the first year of the device.

This type declaration gives people an idea on how much money they need to save up in order to be able to afford those compelling experiences.

Message 8 of 10 (9 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Dec 22, 2011

Incagneto wrote:

@KingofDreams5150 I would like for a new IP's are quirky games like Gravity Rush.  games that push the limits more less in the RPG/JRPG and Action RPG style.

so KingofDreams5150 you mean games like The 3rd Birthday?

Using the six-axis (3 axis gyroscope and 3 axis accelerometer) to get from point "a" to point "b", then hitting a tactile button seems like an interesting combination of traditional and motion controls (with the aid of the mentally and emotionally engaging visual design going on screen).

I wonder how the motion controller will work on Gravity Rush because it is one of the first major games which uses motion controls on the PS Vita. The PS Vita is different from the PS Move in that the display is on the controller and the "pitch", "roll" and "yaw" motions will be different. The six-axis (3 gyro, 3 accel and 3 compass) components are the same on the PS Move as on the PS Vita (but, with a different translation in the OS of the PS Vita).

Message 9 of 10 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Dec 22, 2011

@Wakefulness I have to say though that aiming in uncharted with the motion controls does seem like fun. even though I'm not into uncharted. (to me it is to much of a lara croft tomb raider copy. sure it is a reimagining of it but it is still the same Idea.)

me I'm not scared of motion controls to me it will be fun to play with. I think in some ways though the ps vita's motion controls may feel more accrete compared to ps3's because all of the tech is inside it. as for the ps3 it is inside the controlar but the ps3 has to read the device so you cant fling it around as much and still be read by the ps3 compared to the ps vita will be.

again I'm fine with touch screen games and all that it is no bigy as well. (at least once I found out about why the ds's I found were always so scratched up. witch made me dislike touch screens mostly. I do not like smudges either but since the psp it does not bother me anymore.)

Message 10 of 10 (9 Views)
0 Likes