Jul 28 2011
By: jakman360 Gaming Beast 2278 posts

Yellow light of death?

12 replies 2130 views Edited Jul 28, 2011

I have been having troubles with my 120gb ps3 for the last couple of weeks. It first started when I was playing the uncharted 3 beta. A couple of times that I was playing, my ps3 would just randomly beep 2 or 3 times and shut off and the red light would be blinking when I would look at it. Every time that happened I could just hold down the power button for a second or two and it would go back to a solid red and I could turn my ps3 back on and play for the rest of the night with no problems.

After the beta was over I put in gt5 and found out that that I had to do a title update and I left my ps3 on overnight to download the title update. The title update had successfully downloaded when I chacked in the morning and I shut off my ps3. The very next night I fired up my ps3 and played gt5 for about half an hour before the ps3 beeped 2 or 3 times and shut off to a blinking red light. I made it stop blinking for holding the power button down for a second or two and turned my playstation rate back on. I started to load up gt5 and the same thing happened. I attempted to start up my ps3 again and this time the Xm menu didn't even show up before itnbeeped 2 or 3 times and shut off. So I tried to turn on my ps3 one last time and this time I looked at the power light and I saw a yellow light show up before it beeped 2 or three times and shut off. Assuming that I had just gotten the ylod I unplugged my ps3 and left it like that for a day.

A day later i decided to try to turn on my ps3 and to my surprise it worked and I played gt5 for the rest of the night.

The next day my ps3 wouldn't even turn on before the yellow light would flash so I unplugged my ps3 and left it like that for 24 hours. And then I plugged it back in and it turned on. I tried to load up gt5 but it got the yellow flashing light again so I unplugged my playstation.

The next day I was able to turn on my ps3 and back up all the game saves onto a USB memory stick without any problem. After that I turned my ps3 off and when I tried to turn it back on all I got was a yellow flashing light so I unplugged my ps3 for several days before I decided to try to play a gt5 and my ps3 would get the yellow light as it tried to load gt5.

It appears as if my console is unable to load games because it gets a yellow flashing light and if I try to turn it back on after a yellow flashing light it just gets another one.

It seems to be that I can go on home at playstation or whatever thats called without any problems.

Any idea on what the problem with my ps3 my be?

Help is much appreciated

Edit

To sum up:

My ps3 runs without any problem until I try to load a game. When I try to load a game, it appears to be loading up without any problem(for example when loading uncharted 2 I can see the spinning dagger on the bottom right of the screen) and then the power light goes from green to flashing yellow to flashing red and my ps3 shuts down. I can make the red light stop flashing by holding down the power button for a second. If I try to start it back up with the controller, the controllers lights just flash on and off. If I try to start the ps3 up by pressing power button, the light just flashes yellow and then changes to flashing red and the ps3 shuts itself down. I can leave it unplugged for a while and when I plug it back in it starts up without any problems.

Message 4 of 13 (2,130 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2346 posts

Re: Yellow light of death?

Jul 27, 2011

I may be wrong but I think hardware failure is the only cause for the yellow light.  It's a slim, right?  So is it still under warranty by any chance?

Message 1 of 13 (2,130 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2278 posts

Jul 27, 2011

Yes my ps3 is a slim but it is 6 months out of warranty so I would like to try to fix the problem myself but I don't know where to start

Message 2 of 13 (2,130 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2278 posts

Jul 28, 2011

Does anybody have any idea what the problem could be?

Message 3 of 13 (2,130 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jul 28, 2011

It sounds to me you have some sort of overheating problem, you should probably have your unit serviced to diagnose the real problem. I recommend you contact Endless Electronics, they have reasonable rates and a high satisfaction rating.

http://www.endlesselectronics.org/ps3_repair/ps3/steptwoall.html

Message 5 of 13 (2,130 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2278 posts

Jul 28, 2011

I am fairly certain that it isn't an overheating issue because the ps3 is only really on for two minutes tops when it gets the yellow light and shuts down. I will look into Endless Electronics, thank you for replying.

Message 6 of 13 (2,130 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
555 posts

Jul 29, 2011

I looked into kijji and found people around me that can fix it!! Drop it off and pick it up 2 hours later or more!! and for cheap!!! And if there's a problem well 20 min drive!!! I like it this way..

PSN ID Street_Killaz.
PS3 Super Slim 1tb
PS Vita
Ps2
Ps1
PSP
Message 7 of 13 (2,130 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jul 29, 2011

Street_Killaz wrote:

I looked into kijji and found people around me that can fix it!! Drop it off and pick it up 2 hours later or more!! and for cheap!!! And if there's a problem well 20 min drive!!! I like it this way..

Ps3-80GB/320GB

You should be careful with those quick repairs, many times the repair doesn't last very long. You should back up your game data on a regular basis as a precaution...

Message 8 of 13 (2,130 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1847 posts

Jul 29, 2011

jakman360 wrote:

I am fairly certain that it isn't an overheating issue because the ps3 is only really on for two minutes tops when it gets the yellow light and shuts down. I will look into Endless Electronics, thank you for replying.

open the slim up and just clean out the fan and heatsink with some compressed air, its not difficult with slims as you just have to remove the top and there you go and you dont have to replace thermal paste but it may not be a bad idea to replace it as it may be dried up from the extreme heat. but your ps3 can switch off fast if the temp sensors display insufficient heat transfer, if the heatsink is so clogged with dust, there will be no airflow to transfer heat out of the ps3, so as soon as you start it up the cpu/gpu temps rocket up and causes the ps3 to shutdown. if your ps3 is out of warranty and it has the ylod, you have nothing to loose by opening it up and blowing out the dust.

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars
Message 9 of 13 (2,130 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
555 posts

Jul 29, 2011

He did a great job...even if it works i told him i would like to bring the ps3 ever couple months to get checked and cleaned he was cool with it!!!

PSN ID Street_Killaz.
PS3 Super Slim 1tb
PS Vita
Ps2
Ps1
PSP
Message 10 of 13 (2,130 Views)
0 Likes