Jul 21 2012
By: Fthat69 First Son 1 posts

YLOD

3 replies 143 views Edited Jul 21, 2012

Hello,

i have YLOD and i want to take my playstation and jump off a cliff.   its an original 60gb i got in '06, and i really would rather pursue repair options than buying a new one...

HELP?!?

THOUGHTS!?!

Message 1 of 4 (143 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
38846 posts

Re: YLOD

Jul 21, 2012

Welcome to the PlayStation Community.

If you want to retain your PS3 & it's data then Endless Electronics, a company with good reviews will repair & save your data for you, just Google them.

If you would rather have a PS3 Slim then Sony is your other option.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 2 of 4 (139 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
65 posts

Jul 21, 2012

Hello I had the same problem as you. There are some "alternative" ways to "fix" the system, I will not be detailing them in here for obvious reasons. However if you call Sony you can have traded it in for a refurb 60gig or, for 30 dollars less, a PS3 slim. you are not forced to get the slim but do recieve 30 dollars off the trade in. However if you do not want to go this route you need to know what is wrong with your PS3. unfortunately the YLOD is a very unclear indicator of what could be wrong with your PS3. It could be the Thermal Compound which connects the GPU to the cell processor. If dried out this will cause a YLOD. if this is the case you have to trade it in as it will die again even if replaced or reflowed, commenly these repair shops will reflow it. It could be the Solder balls, which would require precise machinery to be "repaired". All in all your best bet is to trade in with sony for another 60 gig or slim if you prefer. 

Hope I helped.

metal gear solid 4 1920x1200
Message 3 of 4 (137 Views)
Highlighted
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jul 21, 2012

solid_snake1443 wrote:

Hello I had the same problem as you. There are some "alternative" ways to "fix" the system, I will not be detailing them in here for obvious reasons. However if you call Sony you can have traded it in for a refurb 60gig or, for 30 dollars less, a PS3 slim. you are not forced to get the slim but do recieve 30 dollars off the trade in. However if you do not want to go this route you need to know what is wrong with your PS3. unfortunately the YLOD is a very unclear indicator of what could be wrong with your PS3. It could be the Thermal Compound which connects the GPU to the cell processor. If dried out this will cause a YLOD. if this is the case you have to trade it in as it will die again even if replaced or reflowed, commenly these repair shops will reflow it. It could be the Solder balls, which would require precise machinery to be "repaired". All in all your best bet is to trade in with sony for another 60 gig or slim if you prefer. 

Hope I helped.

I do not recommend trying to get another 60GB from Sony, there has been feedback from many people in the forums that those refurbished systems don't last very long past the 90 day warranty. You are much better off getting the PS3 slim, if you are going the Sony route.

Technically the YLOD is a defined by Sony as a general hardware fault, but most of the time it has to do with the separation of the GPU from the motherboard due to cracks in the lead free solder. This process can be accelerated by the drying of the thermal paste.

The YLOD can be best repaired by a process called reballing, where the lead free solder is exchanged with more robust leaded solder, making it resistant to getting the YLOD again.

If you want to read more information about all of this, I recommend to read my guide. The link is below...

Message 4 of 4 (132 Views)