Mar 19 2012
By: rayano09 First Son 16 posts

YLOD

4 replies 15 views Edited Mar 19, 2012

Today, I experienced the Yellow Light of Death, Ive looked it up, and have come to be very disappointed with Sony. I spent 600$ on my PS3 a few weeks after release

Now, Its dead, They expect me to pay 150 bucks? And it would probably happen again?

Im just still confused with one thing, Is it my Fault, or is it Sony's fault? Was their a hardware defect or something?

Also Strange, Because I havent used my PS3 in a month...

I posted this to just add 1 more victim to the list -_-

Message 1 of 5 (15 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Re: YLOD

Mar 19, 2012

Google YLOD and squidoo. Or look for a post from Logical Dolphin and follow the link in his sig. That article explains it really well. In a way it is Sony's fault, by in my mind, I do give them a pass on this. It's just one of those things that sometimes happens in manufacturing. They designed a pretty impressive cooling system, but it had an achilles heel in that the thermal paste that was used dries out and eventually fails. Now, bear in mind all thermal paste will also eventually fail as well. It's hard to know if Sony knew that the paste had as short a life span as it does or if all pastes of that era had similarly short life spans.

It's frustrating, but it is what it is. Also, no, don't use Sony to fix it. If you contact Endless Electronics or Gophermods, they can fix it for less than Sony, and they will actually fix your PS3, Sony will only offer you a refurbished replacement (and you will lose all your data in the process).

Message 2 of 5 (15 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Mar 19, 2012

The feeling is mutual you have to do what you have to do

Message 3 of 5 (15 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
28 posts

Mar 19, 2012

Feel your pain happened to me two weeks ago. My only saving grace was I have an hh Gregg card and got a new one. Traded the old one in and got store credit at game stop. Was gonna pay for a refurbished one. Ps get a two year warranty from the next store you buy replacement from. Mine was 16 months old. Ps3 slim that is

Message 4 of 5 (15 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Mar 19, 2012

rayano09 wrote:

Today, I experienced the Yellow Light of Death, Ive looked it up, and have come to be very disappointed with Sony. I spent 600$ on my PS3 a few weeks after release

Now, Its dead, They expect me to pay 150 bucks? And it would probably happen again?

Im just still confused with one thing, Is it my Fault, or is it Sony's fault? Was their a hardware defect or something?

Also Strange, Because I havent used my PS3 in a month...

I posted this to just add 1 more victim to the list -_-

Probably, many people have complained that their replacement consoles go bad shortly after getting them back. This happens IMO because they don't address the primary reason the YLOD happens in the first place.

If you want to learn more click the link below...

Message 5 of 5 (15 Views)
0 Likes