Feb 24 2012
By: YamiJustin Wastelander 663 posts

YLOD while playing in PS2 mode?

6 replies 201 views Edited Feb 24, 2012

First off my 60gb system has not YLOD'ed on me, I'm just curious about this. As we all know, YLOD is "mostly" caused when the solder underneath the GPU cracks and loses connectivity, usually due to heat. When you play PS2 games, the system seems to go into PS2 mode (i.e. your wireless controller needs to be re-synced, and the system begins using the Emotion Engine). My question is does the GPU of the PS3 go into some sort of standby while your playing PS2 games? I ask because after playing PS2 games for a few hours (about 2-ish), the fan went into a higher gear (not the highest setting), and I began wondering if your system can still YLOD even if its the Emotion Engine doing the workload. I know this is a pretty techy question but any info would be helpful, thanks.

Message 1 of 7 (201 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Re: YLOD while playing in PS2 mode?

Feb 24, 2012

I think it is much less likely in one respect, and about as likely in another. I admit I'm making a few assumptions, but I believe this is logically sound.

From a graphic engine standpoint, yes you would be using the Emotion Engine, and probably the GPU as well, but lighter duty. I believe the Emotion chip is less likely to experience the solder cracking problem because 1) It generates far less heat, and 2) the thermal pads which connect it to the heat shield aren't going to degrade like the thermal paste on the GPU. Perhaps the pads decay or lose heat transfer capabilities over time, but it is likely insignificant.

From a Cell processor standpoint, I imagine it is doing about the same duty level if not more. If this is a first generation with hardware emulation, maybe not so much. But the later BC units have software emulation. My experience with emulation of any form, is that it is fairly taxing on the CPU to replicate purpose built chip functions. I imagine this is no different with a PS3. So on the other hand, while maybe your GPU isn't being stressed, I imagine your Cell processor is being taxed fairly heavily. So yes, you could encounter a YLOD problem since the Cell processor is still subject to the same thermal paste issues that the GPU is.

Message 2 of 7 (201 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Feb 25, 2012

Yes, the YLOD can occur regardless of what tasks are being done on the PS3 at the time. Also remember a PS3 can be working perfectly fine today right up until you turn it off, but may display the YLOD when you first try to turn it on tomorrow.

Message 3 of 7 (201 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
663 posts

Feb 25, 2012

Thanks for the replys. My system is the earliest model ChecA01, so no emulation is used. This system is actually my 2nd system, and had a  thermal paste change done by someone else, however I'm debating whether or not to remove the paste and reapply artic silver 5, because the previous owner smeared the paste all over the chips, instead of putting a ball of paste in the middle. Also, does anyone know if changing the thermal pads is recommended? I could never tell if the ones Sony used were efficient enough or not. Thanks again.

Message 4 of 7 (201 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Feb 25, 2012

That's sort of a judgment call on both the paste and pads. People were using the smearing technique for a long time so I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. I think it's one of those things that if you are doing it, it's better to use the ball of paste technique, than the spread, but I don't think it's a HUGE difference. Probably not worth redoing it just to do it differently.

If you do decide to redo the paste, then you should go ahead and do the pads too. My theory is that the pads aren't likely to degrade over time like the paste, so it's not a gigantic concern leaving the original pads on there. But if you do change the paste, its better if you change the pads too, than to not change them. It's debatable whether it is worth opening it all up just to change the pads.

Lastly, I like MX-4 rather than the Arctic Silver 5. MX-4 is arguably just as good, has no curing time, and is not electrically conductive, so if you get too much and it squirts out the sides, it won't harm anything.

Message 5 of 7 (201 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Feb 25, 2012

IMO if you are upconverting the resolution of the PS2 games (on your PS3) it will cause the fans to run faster becuse that causes stress on the PS3's CPU and/or GPU.

If you set your PS3's resolution down to the lowest setting, you should see a difference with the fan speed...

Message 6 of 7 (201 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
663 posts

Feb 25, 2012

I see, makes sense. Guess I'll just have to live with it because that's one of the reasons I never use my PS2, I think the upscaling looks nice on my TV.

Message 7 of 7 (201 Views)
0 Likes