MVP Support
13655 posts

Re: Would you pay more for a PS4 version with backward compatibility?

Mar 21, 2013
No one cares, it doesn't even come out for at least 6-9 months. Speculation leads to stuff like this. Take everything with a grain of salt, leave opinions to yourselves
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 171 of 208 (510 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10137 posts

Mar 21, 2013
I get its a game system but current info spreads nothing more than rumors. I don't think they are issues that need to be addressed because they are issues that don't really even exist outside of the rumor mill. Just like how people were so certain that used games would be completely blocked.
Message 172 of 208 (501 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1873 posts

Mar 22, 2013

I agree to, I don't get why people get so butt hurt over backward compatibility. Yeah you have to hook up the other consoles if you want to play on them. I buy a next gen console to play NEW games not old ones

PSN: Deadly_Rabbit123
XBL: BruteForce94

Proud Owner of Xbox One and PS4
Message 173 of 208 (490 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Mar 22, 2013

What do you guys think of the possibility of an external add-on?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/sony-patents-external-backward-compatibility-tech-6275835

I know adding PS3 Chips inside the PS4 is impossible but how about adding an external add-on?

Message 174 of 208 (485 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
129 posts

Mar 22, 2013
I would, because I'm still buying games for the PS3. GTA V is out in September and I'm still playing IV and have had it since day one. It would be nice to not have to rely on the PS3 for games once the PS4 is in my house. It is a decider for me, and I may choose to wait.
PSN, XBL, Steam, and Xfire ID : Shakezula84 (accepting all friend requests)
Message 175 of 208 (482 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13655 posts

Mar 22, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

What do you guys think of the possibility of an external add-on?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/sony-patents-external-backward-compatibility-tech-6275835

I know adding PS3 Chips inside the PS4 is impossible but how about adding an external add-on?

But for all we know, Sony will continue supporting PS3 for a while, so pricing of such an add-on would have to be carefully measured.

Too high, and people would just buy a PS3. Too low, and no one would ever buy a PS3 if they could get a PS4 + PS3 add on for a close price.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 176 of 208 (477 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10137 posts

Mar 22, 2013
@Shakezula. But now perhaps using two different consoles is a good thing. I mean with media and what not, I think we depend too much on one machine as it is. Gamers now days run their consoles for extensive hours. When they are not gaming, they are watching Netflix. Or Hulu. Web Surfing. Or Blu-Ray. Music even. Perhaps the use of multiple machines will cut down on wear & tear from extensive use. Separating your new console from everything else you do could actually extend its life by a pretty big margin. I pity a lot of the people on my friends list who run their machines close to 24 hours a day. I pity them even more when they end up with YLOD.
Message 177 of 208 (464 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1804 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 22, 2013

All I have to say is... 

Gekai or whatever it is, PS Store, Cloud Saving... 

Doesn't matter what you call 'em... 

There is still one thing that is going to happen... 

& that is that you'll have to Pay for Games you already Own not to mention we don't even know if Gekai Service will Be Free, or not... 

----------------------------------

We all know that the PS3 won't last very long, not enough Consoles Released, & a lot of them are already breaking down, so if Sony doesn't Launch the PS4 with Backwards Compatibility, we will be forced to Leave our Old Games behind... 

I bought a Launch PS3 for the Backwards Compatability as well as Free Online Service... 

I will buy a PS4 for the Same Reason... 

Seeing as it's not Backwards Compatible, I am already looking the other way... & sticking to PS3... 

------------------------------

You can shove all of that BS Up your Rears, without B/C I just won't buy, even if you make PS4 into a Super Computer... 

Without B/C I just won't buy... 

-Social Network Sharring... 
-Gekai Service (Emulated Older Games) 
-And anything else I can think of... 
-Didgetal Gamming... 
-Cross Play... 
-Play Anywhere, Anytime, Any Device...

You guys can shove it... I want B/C, & I won't pay without it, ~_~ 

---------------------------

Why should PS4 have B/C when PS3 already does, simply, because I did not Buy a PS2, & PS3 will eventually be non-existant... 

I bought all those PS2 Games I wanted so Bad when PS2 was out, when I got a PS3 was when I got all those great Games... 

Yes, I own tonz of PS3 Games, but I also Play PS2 Games, as well as PS1 Games... 

Heck, I still got my Nintendo, & Super Nintendo... 

---------------------------------

Half the Features on the PS4 are crap, quite honestly, to me, PS4 is actually Stepping Backwards into the wrong Direction... 
The only thing making PS4 worth it, is your (4k Video / UHD Video Support),
which i'm pretty sure will be limited just like the PS3 & it's 1080P Full HD Blu Ray Supported Games, are now 720P... 

Again, I can't see any other reason to buy a PS4 at this Point... And even then, 4k Video TV's are going to cost $20,000... 

I already own a 4k Video Compatible AMD Graphix Card for $100, & Cheaper on my PC... I'm pretty sure if I want 4k Video Supported Games, I can go PC for way Cheaper, & get Full Support without any Limitations, ~_~

Hey, Yo, Waaaaazzzzuuupp!!! .................................................................................................................

Playstation 4
Too much Networking, & Socializing, but yet not enough Gaming... ~_~
Not My Style!!!

Get Your Portable ID!
Message 178 of 208 (448 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10137 posts

Mar 22, 2013
But how long are 4k sets going to cost that much? I remember when I got my launch 360. I instantly wanted an HDTV. Back then, even many 19 inch 720p LCD's were selling for about a grand and a half. The cheapest I could find was a 30 inch 1080i Samsung Slim Fit CRT for like 750.00. Now days you can get entry level 40 inch 1080p's from good brands even for a couple hundred less than that. You can probably expect 4k sets to be pretty affordable come mid generation or before.

And resolution certainly couldn't be the only reason to buy a new system. Perhaps the new hardware will not only improve the online features but will also finally get us away from limited size 12 vs 12 games of Battlefield.
Message 179 of 208 (437 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 22, 2013

I want to know more about Gaikai. I want to know if Sony will let people stream PS1, PS2 and PS3 games without a monthly subscription, meaning you buy the game or transfer your digital downloads and not pay ever again to play those games through Gaikai. I highly doubt it but if they want to substitute traditional backwards compatibility they would have to make it much more attractive, like no subscription fees, and just charge a subscription fee for Gaikai's other features. Not to mention bandwidth issues. I would honestly prefer real backwards compatibility but I want to wait and see what Sony will do. 

When do you guys think Sony will announce more details of the PS4?

Message 180 of 208 (307 Views)
0 Likes