Feb 23 2013
By: Heyxyz1 First Son 21 posts

Would this external Hard drive work on my PS3 slim?

6 replies 437 views Edited Feb 23, 2013

Recently my 160GB PS3 slim ran out of space, so I need a new hard drive because I don't intentend to stop gaming. I decided that I should use an external HD because I wouldn't have to tranfer data, they're cheaper, and eaiser to install that internal HDs. My Question is will this external HD work on my ps3 slim (Hard Drive: BUFFALO MiniStation Stealth 500 GB USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive - HD-PCT500U2/B , Link on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/BUFFALO-MiniStation-Stealth-Portable-Drive/dp/B0046RE21G/ref=sr_1_1?s=electron... and if not what external HD can I use or is there a better one at about the same price range? Many Thanks :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (437 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11517 posts

Re: Would this external Hard drive work on my PS3 slim?

Feb 23, 2013

Heyxyz1 wrote:

Recently my 160GB PS3 slim ran out of space, so I need a new hard drive because I don't intentend to stop gaming. I decided that I should use an external HD because I wouldn't have to tranfer data, they're cheaper, and eaiser to install that internal HDs. My Question is will this external HD work on my ps3 slim (Hard Drive: BUFFALO MiniStation Stealth 500 GB USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive - HD-PCT500U2/B , Link on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/BUFFALO-MiniStation-Stealth-Portable-Drive/dp/B0046RE21G/ref=sr_1_1?s=electron... and if not what external HD can I use or is there a better one at about the same price range? Many Thanks :smileyhappy:

I am not the best with HDD stuff, but I am pretty sure most USB 2.0 external HDDs will work. Wait for more answers before buying it though because I am only about 70% sure.

"The business of the industry is business"
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (430 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14988 posts

Feb 23, 2013

You can't use an external hdd in the way you THINK you can with the PS3.... you cant run any games off the hdd or download games to it.

You need to upgrade to an INTERNAL hdd.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (429 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11517 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 23, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

You can't use an external hdd in the way you THINK you can with the PS3.... you cant run any games off the hdd or download games to it.

This is correct. I took it as him wanting to just store stuff to later transfer over. Not a good point  for me to not leave in my post, I'll admit.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (427 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2763 posts

Feb 23, 2013
I can't seem to find any reason why that wouldn't work. Just make sure to remember to format the HDD to FAT32 before hooking it up to your PS3 or else it won't recognize it.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (423 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14988 posts

Feb 23, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

This is correct. I took it as him wanting to just store stuff to later transfer over. Not a good point  for me to not leave in my post, I'll admit.

He will ALWAYS have to deal with the arduous task of restoring and bacing up his data if thats what he wanted to do. He cant just copy a game or DLC or movie and paste to the hdd and then transfer it back to the PS3 as needed....

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (417 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11517 posts

Feb 23, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

He will ALWAYS have to deal with the arduous task of restoring and bacing up his data if thats what he wanted to do. He cant just copy a game or DLC or movie and paste to the hdd and then transfer it back to the PS3 as needed....

My friend does that with old downloads. So I assumed this guy was doing it too. 

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (407 Views)
0 Likes