Mar 21 2013
By: XB_Blackjack First Son 6 posts

Would sony fix my ps3 if i had "opened" it up?

[ Edited ]
7 replies 159 views Edited Mar 21, 2013

So i think i got an opical issue on my ps3 slim and i've watched the simple way to fix it. so i decided to give it a try but when im done unscrewing it and about to oppen it up it's stuck on the front. So with a lot of attempt i.. might have scratched the ps3's rear side a bit (yeah im dumb). After a bit of look under the console in case i forgot to unscrew something, well.. i forgot to unscrew the one under the power button Smiley Tongue but since i've made a damage to the console (and probably scratched something else on the attempt to open it up), i'm affraid to go any further and screw it back to place. Now i'm planning to bring it to sony to fix it but i've heard that if you've open up the console, sony won't fix it. Please help??

Message 1 of 8 (159 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Re: Would sony fix my ps3 if i had "opened" it up?

Mar 21, 2013
The answer to that ? Is possibly maybe but your warranty-NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT! anytime you open up/alter your PS3, you automatically take full responsibilty for your actions.
Message 2 of 8 (139 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
6 posts

Mar 21, 2013

well good thing my waranty already expired since last year Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 8 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
654 posts

Mar 21, 2013

If the warranty seal has been broken, you can make a ticket and ship it to Sony, but at their discretion, they can send it back without working on it.  I assume that the discretion they reserve is in the case of physically damaged consoles.  It'll cost you either $90 or $99 (depending on how kind the rep is feeling) + shipping to.  A repair shop can likely resolve your issue for half that.

Message 4 of 8 (115 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Mar 21, 2013
i've been thinking of that but a friend of mine told me that they would probably make more problem. Is it true?
Message 5 of 8 (112 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
654 posts

Mar 21, 2013

They could, yeah.  You'd want to check them out first, get reviews, etc.

Message 6 of 8 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
56227 posts

Mar 21, 2013

XB_Blackjack wrote:

So i think i got an opical issue on my ps3 slim and i've watched the simple way to fix it. so i decided to give it a try but when im done unscrewing it and about to oppen it up it's stuck on the front. So with a lot of attempt i.. might have scratched the ps3's rear side a bit (yeah im dumb). After a bit of look under the console in case i forgot to unscrew something, well.. i forgot to unscrew the one under the power button Smiley Tongue but since i've made a damage to the console (and probably scratched something else on the attempt to open it up), i'm affraid to go any further and screw it back to place. Now i'm planning to bring it to sony to fix it but i've heard that if you've open up the console, sony won't fix it. Please help??

Sony will still fix it even if you've opened it and done stuff yourself.  They will charge for the repair but they will fix it.  I sent out my 60 gig, which i put a 300gb harddrive in and opened to clean out the dust, in for a YLOD repair.....they did fix it and sent it back (well i think  they sent me a refurbished one) but all my game data/saves were gone. 

Message 7 of 8 (93 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 25, 2013

So yeah i decided to bring my ps3 to my regular game store and at first, they thought that i used jailbreak since it's showing "error during start up operation." I'd never jailbrake my ps3 and so they asked me if it's okay if my ps3 stays there for +-2 days because they'd have to see what's wrong with it. So i said yes. Thank god i didn't bring it to sony. They would probably think the same way and refuse to fix my ps3. Now the question is. What's wrong with it? every time i wanted to play a new game that hasn't been installed, it keeps saying "error  during start up operation" and give me an error code wich i.. forgot.. But what i do remember that it has the number 7 on it. I know i know i could just wait for my ps3 to be fixed and THEN ask them what's the problem. But i'm reallllly curious about what's wrong with it. Anyone?

EDIT:

It shows error code 80010017 and when i google it.. it... shows that.. it (mostly) happens to jailbroken ps3. Could the store where i bought it installed jailbreak on my ps3 without my permission? If so then i........ have no idea what i should do Smiley Indifferent

Message 8 of 8 (58 Views)
0 Likes