Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 23 2013
By: bob-maul PlayStation MVP 11845 posts

Worried About a "Social" Console?

[ Edited ]
16 replies 169 views Edited Feb 23, 2013

When people heard this, people were either happy or scared. Many people, including myself, do not use social networking and do not plan on it. Nor do we like sharing our personal details online. Is the Ps4's emphasis on media a problem for those like myslef? I do not think so.

Social Networking: First, the use of real names is not required. They said that usernames are still in place. How to think of this is like Twitter. On Twitter, you have a screen name and a username. The username is what you sign in with and how people message you. The screen name is how you want to be called. But this is not a problem. Many people just put a simple name like "Chris" or even just use their username as a screenname. You are not REQUIRED to be social and open with information. And Twitter and FB are not required for use either. If you want the connection with your friends on those media sites, then the option is there. Your friends don't have to see how much of a gamer you are with all your trophies poping up on your FB, so do not worry.

Game Privacy: Also, you do not HAVE to let people spectae your games. You choose to let people watch you play. Onlive is like this as well. It can just add a bit of fun to the mix if your friends are watching you play GTA and telling you things to try out like "Spawn a car on the skyscraper and drive off". This is an option. 

I hope this clears up some worries here. Your anonymity is not at stake with this new console. These are options for those who wish to make this a social hub. I know I will not be connecting it with my name and my networking sites (also because I am not on any).

"The business of the industry is business"
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 17 (169 Views)
First Son
28 posts

Re: Worried About a "Social" Console?

Feb 23, 2013

I get the idea of a social console. But there is one problem I'm not a social person. I may have a facebook acount and am talking on forums. But I really am not a social person. I got all the halo game and killzone games but I don't play them for the multiplayer. I play them the main story. I really don't like playing mulitplayer. When I'm playing a game I don't want someone I don't know to jump in. I was really annoyed when it happened when I was playing resident evil 6. I even turned off all the network settings. I don't want someone watching me play. I don't want them to be downloading thing on my system with out my knowlegde. I want to be able to say no. I don't want it to happen on my Ipod, or on my computer or on my playstation. Social gaming is the future for some but all and I'm not one of them. I just want a disk or aplace to download my game. An be able to play by my self.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 17 (153 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11845 posts

Feb 23, 2013

himole347 wrote:

I get the idea of a social console. But there is one problem I'm not a social person. I may have a facebook acount and am talking on forums. But I really am not a social person. I got all the halo game and killzone games but I don't play them for the multiplayer. I play them the main story. I really don't like playing mulitplayer. When I'm playing a game I don't want someone I don't know to jump in. I was really annoyed when it happened when I was playing resident evil 6. I even turned off all the network settings. I don't want someone watching me play. I don't want them to be downloading thing on my system with out my knowlegde. I want to be able to say no. I don't want it to happen on my Ipod, or on my computer or on my playstation. Social gaming is the future for some but all and I'm not one of them. I just want a disk or aplace to download my game. An be able to play by my self.

My point is that the social things are optional :smileytongue:

You do not have to have spectate turned on. You do not have to post videos or connect it to your FB. The "let me choose what you want without you actually choosing it" thing is a concept- a goal- and will be an optional thing. Not everyone can download games at good speeds or without going way over their bandwidth cap. 

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 17 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
445 posts

Feb 23, 2013

himole347 wrote:

Even if you are social there is no need to build PSN around Facebook, our PC's, phnoes, tablets and even TVs all connect to facebook I don't or want my gaming console connecting to face book as well.  I like palying multiplayer but I'm fine with annomous faces I don't need to know the back story or what the person looks like IRL of the person who just killed me, nor do I want this person knowing anything about me.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 17 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
445 posts

Feb 23, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

himole347 wrote:

You do not have to have spectate turned on. You do not have to post videos or connect it to your FB. The "let me choose what you want without you actually choosing it" thing is a concept- a goal- and will be an optional thing. Not everyone can download games at good speeds or without going way over their bandwidth cap. 

When something is built around another thing it's hardly optional......

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 17 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4292 posts

Feb 23, 2013

I don't use Facebook either, but since this is all optional I have no issues with it. It's great for the people that like it, and no bother to those who don't. Yes they build it around it, but it's not forcing you to connect to Facebook or anything like that.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 17 (124 Views)
0 Likes
Record Breaker
4351 posts

Feb 23, 2013

Jacks-over wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

himole347 wrote:

Yeah, kinda like a camera, web browser, games, apps, etc. being built into a cell phone? I had no idea I am required to use all those features? Oh wait, their use is completely optional.

But go ahead & blow this whole thing WAY out of proportion.

Proud to be a Monkey!
 photo GTLogoMonkeySig.gif

~~~ SupaTunaGT ~~~

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 17 (119 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11845 posts

Feb 23, 2013

Jacks-over wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

himole347 wrote:

I do not see your point at all. You are not compelled to use these features. Think of it like this. The Ps3 was built around PSN. If you are not interested in playing online, then you can simply NOT do it. It is completely optional to do connect FB to it. And many won't do it (like myself). You are acting like you will have this extraordinary peer pressure to use these features. The option is there for those that like to be completely connected.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 17 (110 Views)
Welcoming Committee
5783 posts

Feb 23, 2013

Jacks-over wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

himole347 wrote:

Since when is having more options a bad thing, everyone is different, people like different things, the PS3 has gotten multiple apps and features, they are designed to appeal to more then just one group of people.

Also it is optional, you do not have to use the facebook or social features, and you do not have to let people join your game, they don`t have to take over your character. You also know that there are a good many people who use social networking sites regularly. There is no point in complaining over an optional feature, as long as they are optional I have no problem with them, I will be mostly using the PS4 to play games anyway,

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 17 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
95 posts

Feb 23, 2013

WOW is everybody blowing this waaaaaay outa proportion ! It's actually gonna be very simple ok.

You wanna be a mister social body ? Turn it on !

You wanna be a mister anti-social body ? Turn it off !

IT'S GONNA BE THAT SIMPLE !  People need to take a Chill Pill ! :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 17 (99 Views)