UPDATE: THE LEVEL IS NOW LIVE!
Below is a video of the game and a Create Mode Tour.
Original Post Below
Here's what I have so far, after 30 hours of Create Mode. Been working on this for two weeks now. Watch the video and post some comments if you like.
- 95% of the game is already in place.
- All graphics and animation by me.
- Enemy, Enemy Generation, Enemy AI are implemented.
- Most of the game's logic is complete.
- Hopefully published this weekend.
- The Enemies spawn in the wrong places, such as outside the playfield.
- There is supposed to be a "bubble" around the player where the enemies don't spawn. This also doesn't work and enemies can spawn literally next to or on top of the player. (Bad)
- The score in the scoreboard is bugged and won't show the correct score.
- Framerate issues! The particle system I have developed seems to overwhelm the LBP engine.
The biggest challenge to implement was the particle system. When enemies are destroyed, they emit bits and pieces of light (particles) that look pleasing on the OLED screen. The scoreboard's particle system looks fantastic!
However I need to implement some way to limit the amount of particles on screen to avoid dropping framerate on intensive situations. The game doesn't really lag unless you die, where all the enemies are killed onscreen and emit hundreds of particles.
I also wanted to implement multiplayer, but I lack a second Vita to test it with.
(And yes, It's heavily inspired by Geometry Wars from the other platform...)
I would be able to put in a locked camera option as well as a music selector using the D-Pad after I have fixed the major bugs.
And as for the case, search up "psvita aluminum" on eBay.
Rainbows are cool.
I have traced the enemy spawning issue to 5 crossed wires and three wrong logic gates (Why does XOR look so same with OR gates??) so I might be able to fix it tomorrow.
Even with the bugs you stated, the game still looks great and seems fun! I love Geometry Wars so this will be on my hearted levels. I just got the game, so I'm going to add you!
Worked on the game today on my break at college. Some updates:
- Spawn positions fixed
- On death, the particle system is disabled to save framerate
- Scoreboard display fixed
- Protective bubble looks fixed
- Reduced enemy movement speed by 1
- Cannon fire speed increased
- Spawn rate increased to compensate for increased firepower and reduced movement speed
- Maximum enemies on-screen raised by 5 for a total of 20.
- Minor framerate dips less than a quarter of a second when a bunch of enemies spawn on screen. Not really game-breaking.
There are only four types of enemies that are emitted. It is designed for small bursts of pick up and play (Average game is 5-10 minutes) so the difficulty curve slopes up rapidly. The spawn pattern is procedurally generated (different pattern every time).
Hope to publish it by Friday Afternoon! (Eastern Time)
The video is private.
I'm going to upload a new video, along with a Create Mode tour. The level is 100 complete. I'm just playing it now over and over to check and squash bugs.
I added a switchable camera (close/far view) and bombs that clear all enemies off the playfield (limited to three uses). Tarsier has shown interest in the level, tweeting that they want to play it once it's up, so I really want to polish this game up for another day.