Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 09 2013
By: socom69 Uncharted Territory 1615 posts

With all this talk of DRM & GS, I have one question

[ Edited ]
27 replies 228 views Edited Jun 9, 2013
Why do people shop at gamestop in the first place? Has anyone ever heard of amazon.com? Because everything is cheaper there. I'll use CODBO2 as 1 example. At gamestop it's $59.99 new and $54.99 used (outrageous really). On amazon.com (with free shipping and no tax) it's $38.34. Now there's a lot of commotion over buying used because people don't have the money for new, but I see some errors in this rationality.

1) You aren't actually saving any real money by used shopping at any GS. The prices on used games aren't noticeably lower. In the case of COD, going with the "cheaper version" still comes out to a $60 purchase.
2) This thinking tells me people aren't willing to wait for price drops. If you're tight on money, but you really want a game, just wait for it to go down. In most cases it WILL. The games that most people on here play aren't going anywhere (or the average gamer for that matter). Unless you're hunting for a game that's exclusively at GS and for a limited time (xenoblade chronicles for example; although this isn't on ps3), there's no need to rush out on a tight budget. Patience is a virtue.
3) So then there's the obstacle of online passes. Say you buy a copy of BF3 for $40 in stores thinking that you've saved a nice $10 instead of buying it new. You didn't actually save anything or get anywhere because you must pay for an online pass (this happened to my friend this past christmas. He thought he was getting a deal until he stumbled upon the pass. He's even more special though because he got this at GS instead of just giving me $30 or $35 to get it new on black friday at walmart.)

I can count on 1 hand the amount of games I've spent $60 on in the past couple years (Heavy Rain was the last game I ever paid full price for in stores). No matter what way you chop it, there's no advantages in shopping for used games at GS. You will save so much more money buying new off of amazon.com (or if you get lucky like me you can find awesome deals on groupon, though there's tax through that option. I got Hitman Absolution through groupon for $21 something including tax). Getting games cheap isn't about incinerating your library for 1/4 the price you paid to get your hands on the next big thing, it's about being a smart shopper. Sports games and COD come out every single year. Do you NEED to have each installment (especially if you know you don't have the money to throw around during a particular year)? Buying into the used business as a consumer is a loss-loss situation and more people need to understand that. You sell yourself short library wise and financially.
"While we're being honest, might I suggest something.

Please put your trophy profile as private, otherwise I might have believed you own a PS4 (thanks for the fake pic though)."

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 28 (228 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1615 posts

Re: With all this talk of DRM & GS, I have one question

Jun 9, 2013
I would also like to add that black friday is a day notoriously known for cheap EA & Acti products.

Please put your trophy profile as private, otherwise I might have believed you own a PS4 (thanks for the fake pic though)."

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 28 (219 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
24401 posts

Jun 9, 2013

I'm with you man. You can actually save MORE money buying new games if you put a little effort into looking, and you can get CASH selling them yourself.

The best I can tell is that it's about the promise of a quick turn around. You can walk in and walk out, but you're being fleeced in the process. It might take a few days on Ebay to sell something, and there's a chance you might not sell it at all. From what some have said, they say they don't like the listing fees, yet weigh those against the the drubbing you take "trading" your games in at GameStop.

The man who made these videos does a really good job at explaining why you should never shop at GameStop.

http://www.break.com/video/ugc/01-zero-originality-episode-1-625286

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 28 (216 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1615 posts

Jun 9, 2013
I'm happy to say that I haven't traded 1 ps3 game in (well any game this generation in general, but for the sake of this being a PS forum I'll just say ps3) and have still successfully managed to get what I want for super cheap. Sadly it was a hard lesson learned. When I was younger I bought into that gimmick of a quick turnaround and looking back it just wasn't worth it. I miss my copies of TM Black, Turok 2, & Q-Bert (which enraged my mom unlike any other game because it was her favorite).

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 28 (201 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
32 posts

Jun 9, 2013

Yeah I don't get the GS thing! They screw you over with the used games 99% of the time. Cheaper ways to purchase used games (ebay, independent shop, etc..) if you want them.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 28 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1615 posts

Jun 9, 2013
Ever had one of those moments when a GS rep is like "we have great deals on used games." and you're like "I don't buy used games...."? Always funny

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 28 (155 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16777 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 9, 2013

brigantine_72 wrote:

Yeah I don't get the GS thing! They screw you over with the used games 99% of the time. Cheaper ways to purchase used games (ebay, independent shop, etc..) if you want them.

I like GS. I typically don't care much about online play so online passes don't make a difference to me. eBay can be cheaper though. I've used that too. I just got Bioshock Infinite new at GS for $40 just yesterday. I thought that was a good deal. They even had a sealed copy for me. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 28 (149 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
8381 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 9, 2013

brigantine_72 wrote:

Yea they do. Tried to bring in a GBA game I had and they didn't give me a good deal at all on it. As for ebay and Amazon, been avoiding them for games, since I've heard that some people sell fake copies of games on there. Some times GS has decent deals on used games, but a lot of times they don't... went to a local used game place recently and got a copy of Dark Cloud 2 (in near mint condition) for about $5 cheaper than what they (GS) wanted for it... basically $19.99 (w/o tax) instead of $24.99 (w/o tax).

I do pre-order from there sometimes though, if a game I like is only going to be in limited quantity.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 28 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1615 posts

Jun 9, 2013
Box9, I can't speak for ebay seeing as I haven't used it, but amazon is safe. There's too many games for me to list that I've bought through amazon (and movies)

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 28 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
8381 posts

Jun 9, 2013

socom69 wrote:
Box9, I can't speak for ebay seeing as I haven't used it, but amazon is safe. There's too many games for me to list that I've bought through amazon (and movies)

That's cool, but I've heard about people who've gotten DS games through them that weren't real copies :smileysad:. So I'm a little gun shy on it. Not that I wouldn't ever use Amazon. But I'd have to throughly check to see if the person is selling a legit product before I'd put out money for it.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 28 (128 Views)
0 Likes